Author Topic: Great Board Features  (Read 4024 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Great Board Features
« on: March 02, 2016, 12:30:17 AM »
Some things in life can make a pretty big difference. Back in the days, you’d walk into a room and went to each lamp to turn it off. Today, one switch and the entire room lights up.

What are some of the features you’d like to see as “Standard Equipment” for on your next SUP?

BALANCED CARRY HANDLES
This was mentioned recently, but I’d love to see longer carry handles as a standard feature on all boards. It would go a long way into making the boards balanced while carrying them – no matter how heavy your fin or added leash is.

FRONT PLUGS
Plugs add weight to boards – no doubt. However, a bow leash plug is easy to incorporate and a big deal when it comes to safety. It’s practical for towing (or at least keeping a friend’s bow into the win) but has a number of other uses:
-   Anchor point (when you take a breather or for snorkeling).
-   In a pinch, link your bow leash plug with your carry handle and you have multiple attachment points for your gear.
-   Securing your camera leash way up front and out of the way.

FIN ATTACHMENT
Okay, this one is tricky because someone just came up with a brilliant idea that doesn’t require tools to install or remove your fin. Still, if you are going to use a screw, it would be so nice if manufacturer would make the screw in the back of the fin, not the front. Aside from being more tucked and out of the way, I believe it to be simpler. A hand screw would be BONUS.

DECK SPACE
Some decks start just inches away from where my toes are. Opening this space a little more wouldn’t necessarily affect board handling – in fact, it might just make it lighter. Ultimately, it would give some people a little more room up front to place a small bag, life vest, or CAMERA. A little room guys, please!

REAR HANDLE
There are all sorts of handles, some are lighter than others... however, if you have ever tried to pull a board onto a deck, you know that a stern handle could have made your life easier. Plus, when you fall off (DW or shore break) it could give us a little somethin’ something to grab onto.

LIGHTER
We have currently have technology to make a 14’ board at about 5 pounds. 6 pounds would make it bulletproof. This would require working from molds, therefore building a mold each time... but would make the manufacturing process so much faster. Ultimately, boards would never have a single paddle mark, due to the sheer strength of the board. REF.: 22’ surfski that are merely 9 kilos, including the rudder system – a craft that is very stiff and sturdy. Please, let’s see lighter boards.

MY FAVORITE
Let’s have 4 tie-downs standard on all boards (stern setup) – and let’s include this on all race boards. This would make them so much more versatile: touring / rear camera post setup, etc...

So what's missing on your board?
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Great Board Features
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:53:14 AM »
I only have a need for more speed.

Of course the stuff you listed sounds neat too.

8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:20:23 AM »
I'd like to hear more about the 14 footers that weigh 5 or 6 pounds. Would that mean we could have boards in the 8 foot range that weigh 2 or 3 pounds?  Is this technology available here on earth?

Show us your Surfski.

Some fins do have the screw behind the fin. I've always wondered why they do that. It makes it much more difficult to get at the screw. They already make hand screws if you want them. They've been around for quite a while.

The new FCS fins are a brilliant idea. Someday soon, all boards will come with fins like this.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:52:01 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 06:33:34 AM »
Keeping in mind that the SUP fin box comes from a surfing background, I have been under the impression that the screw was placed at the back of the fin for safety. In the event that the screw would come loose, the fin would have a better chance of staying in, while surfing a critical wave.  Sort-of makes sense...

At the other extreme, Protek makes a breakaway plastic fin plate that replaces the brass or SS fin plate and will pull out of the box on contact, possibly saving the board or body.

I personally like to use a fin box screw with the same size hex key as my side-bites.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 06:41:45 AM »
I much prefer fins that have the screw at the rear. It allows you to place the fin further forward in the box to loosen the handling up and improve quartering of wind and waves. It also means that if you use a thumb-tightened longboard screw like I do (because it means you don't have to carry a screwdriver, and is quicker and easier to adjust and remove the fin, which is especially relevant when eg. downwinding), the part you tighten with your hand is at the trailing edge of the fin not the leading edge where it could collect weed.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 07:10:00 AM »
The best estimation I can give you for board weight, while keeping them relatively strong:
14' = 6 pounds
12'6 = 5 pounds
8' = more like 3 to 4 pounds

This type of construction would be working from a mold, using PVC foam core (vacuum bagged) to separate one layer of glass (super thin) and one layer of carbon. Because the PVC is so dense (5mm thick only) you end up with a rather stiff board. Add to this couple of trade secrets, and you end up with a 14' board that is UNDER 6 pounds - including fin, plate and screw.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:13:22 AM »
I much prefer fins that have the screw at the rear. It allows you to place the fin further forward in the box to loosen the handling up and improve quartering of wind and waves. It also means that if you use a thumb-tightened longboard screw like I do (because it means you don't have to carry a screwdriver, and is quicker and easier to adjust and remove the fin, which is especially relevant when eg. downwinding), the part you tighten with your hand is at the trailing edge of the fin not the leading edge where it could collect weed.

Totally agree. Rear fin box screw was the norm for surfing and make so much sense. It makes even more sense for our sport that usually glides at speeds between 7 and 9 km/h.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:04 AM »
I really like the handle on the SIC boards and it also allows a little piece of mind as can secure it with a cable or chain lock as well.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 11:34:49 AM »
SIC has the easy grab handle and Bark the foam strap.  Both fantastic innovations for making it easier to carry a board for longer distances.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »
In almost every product category enhancements are largely a matter of preference rather than an absolute improvement. Here's my thoughts about your list Photo

BALANCED CARRY HANDLES
My 17' bullet has a strap handle that runs from leash plugs about three feet either direction from the balance point. Besides the strap there's also loops to pass a paddle through for the most secure and controllable handle. The strap I use as a temporary handle for getting to the water and back onto the truck. To carry I use the paddle. You can two-hand a paddle in the handle position to manage the board in almost any wind condition.

FRONT PLUGS
My front carry loop is far enough forward to serve as a tow connection--loop a leash through it and it pulls smoothly. I also tie my slippahs to the board on boards that don't have a cargo net. I add nets to most of my boards.

FIN ATTACHMENT
Breakaway fin screws need to be in the front. If you don't care about that then rear is fine except for raked fins. There's no inherently superior way to attach a fin that I've seen. the ball detent fins come close but need work.

DECK SPACE
Yeah, sure, why not, though all my boards have plenty. That's probably a matter of who you choose to buy your boards from.

REAR HANDLE
All my boards have one, unless they've been torn off and not replaced yet. 

LIGHTER
Surfski and OC1 weights are not really relevant. The form of the boats provides arch strength that a SUP doesn't have.  SIC makes their boards exactly as you describe and the weights have to be substantially greater to support a person standing on a flat deck. My Scorpius weighs less than my Bullet even though I had Kai make it extra sturdy (I'm a klutz).  No one falls to their knees on a ski. A standard single layer sandwich that's common in OC1 would be a two piece in a single session. Furthermore, light weight is almost always an advantage for a ski, but not for a board. Anyone who has bounced across the face of a bumpy wave on a light hollow surfboard doesn't want to do it again. We stand, and the bottom of our boards are relatively wide and flat. Without some damping weight every impact goes straight to your feet.

MY FAVORITE
I prefer six or even eight

Really, everything you've spec'ed here except weight I already have on almost all of my boards. Either a matter of specifying them during the build or adding them myself. So I guess I'd say we're in nearly complete agreement.

The only thing I'd add would be a mast track on bigger boards, which is something manufacturers used to do commonly, but have now abandoned. Besides sailing your board. a mast track is a great way to add attachments, lock your board, and with a little router work to add finger holes they provide a short-distance handle.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:27:31 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »

DECK SPACE
Yeah, sure, why not, though all my boards have plenty. That's probably a matter of who you choose to buy your boards from.

I wish MY boards had more room up front :)

Too their defense, I just got the 14 x 23" Sprint (2016 model) and there's a little more room up there. It's a great move, in the right direction.

You mentioned the word "mast" and it just gave me an idea regarding filming. More on that later…
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 05:29:53 AM »
I don't understand why almost all airSUP have the same one fin cheap fin.
I have to make mine

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 06:01:49 AM »
Definitely frustrated that the more expensive race boards have LESS features than their cheaper counterparts. The narrow SIC boards exclude the bungie system and paddle loops.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 07:04:51 AM »
Tie downs should be standard at this stage in the game but some companies still don't have them even on wider touring models. I like the paddle loop idea from SIC and the carry handle is really good as well.

My carry handle isn't quite balanced and that's annoying when you have a 35 pound board.

Sub 30 pound boards are nice, but I think a board weighing under 10 pounds would be a handling nightmare. On and off the water. A small breeze and your board would be flying away off the water, and it would get pushed around quite a bit on the water I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal