Author Topic: Easy open fix for the Liftsup handle.  (Read 9103 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Easy open fix for the Liftsup handle.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »
Baddog, Not so compadre! 3 miil gloves would be fine..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 01:50:35 PM »
I can only use 3mm gloves when it's above 55 degrees . Below 55 it's the 5mm lobster mitt and below 35 it's the 7mm full mitt.  :)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 03:17:01 PM »
Badger, I personally use 7 mil gloves. Have a pair of 7 mil lobster claws, but have difficulty holding a paddle with them.

There is a lot of negativity being expressed with regards to differing opinions here on the Zone. My comment was to try and make it clear that I had no negative "vibes" regarding what Baddog expressed.

32-35 degree water is cold and I personally am not immune to it's effects! If they made 8 mil gloves that I could try I would add them to my vast collection of boots, gloves, hoods!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:22:47 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 12:47:44 PM »
Venting here.....had my 10'6 style out in wonderful knee to waist long period waves here in NJ today. 

What a session!

Then i had to go in.

ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH   that damn list sup handle!!!!! USELESS with gloves...USELESS.  so i bashed through the shorebreak with a middle finer in the handle and it not popping out no matter what- yes i rinse the handle and yes it generally works well OUT of the water.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Sunova...you make a great board..stop outfiting them with these  lakefront kook flatwater handles.  I BEG

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 02:19:14 PM »

Yup I agree. The LiftSup handles are useless with gloves or mitts.

I did not want to go through another winter with them so I replaced the handles on both my boards a few months ago with Blue Planet SupGrips. The SupGrips are fantastic. No more fiddling around. Just pick up the board and go.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »
You'd think by now Sunova would be tired of the things. they must have bought a bunch of them.

I've been tempted by several of the Sunova designs. The inability to demo some in an appropriate fat-boy size and the liftsup handle have quelled my interest so far.  I could do a sort of demo, but I'd be more or less committed to buy one. I do not like those handles--even though I never wear gloves.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 05:54:38 PM »
I have a boardworks made infinity whiplash with a lift sup handle, I like the handle.
I do not have to wear gloves. It beats the sleestack hold typical handle.

SunovaBouy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »
Some love the handle (me) some hate it.

All depends on conditions and agility. Granted it's a pain in shorebreak if you can't pop the handle, but surely you prepare for that before you get munched?

I wouldn't be without it, I think it's ace.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 11:33:58 AM »
It's a dangerous abomination and should be scrapped. We've had this argument many times, but the bottom line is that I'm not going to be buying a Sunova until they start using a proper handle. It's a real shame because the boards otherwise appeal to me.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »
If you don't want to go through the trouble of removing and replacing the whole handle, an option could be to just cut and remove the pop up handle part and use the opening like a regular finger hold handle, as in the first photo of this post by badger:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=31011.0

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »
I thought about abandoning it in place and just adding two paddle loops, but loops don't work everywhere, I think they might be iffy on the steps at Sunset Cliffs. Tom is a huge Sunova fan, and he gets up and down the stairs just fine.

I've only used the liftsup handle with one board, for one surf session, and I nearly broke my fingers getting out of the water. The whitewater caught the tail of the board and whipped it around, trapping my fingers and dragging me up the beach.  If I do get a Sunova, the handle won't last a day.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »
If you don't want to go through the trouble of removing and replacing the whole handle, an option could be to just cut and remove the pop up handle part and use the opening like a regular finger hold handle, as in the first photo of this post by badger:

That's right. I neglected to mention that before. With the handle mechanism removed, the remaining hole is similar to the old straight slot handles. Not sure how roomy it would be with gloves but I'm pretty sure it has more finger room than an FCS handle.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal