Author Topic: Paddle blade sizes  (Read 4349 times)

CrosswindPaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle blade sizes
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:43:35 PM »
I just purchased the Riviera Bump Paddle in size 8.5.
I know usually racers like blades that are closer to 7.5.
Besides the obvious extra inch in width, what is the difference between the two?
I have heard that the 8.5 is for more of a long power stroke and the thinner is for quicker strokes.
Jimmy Lewis Slice 12'6
SUP ATX R2 8.125" Race Paddle
Riviera BUMP 8.5" Paddle

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle blade sizes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:25:02 AM »
We have an old 8.5 Vantage we still use all the time.  Works awesome for very high pull power - but not for long distance sustained high cadence -> unless maybe you are Danny Ching like.  For more endurance we prefer a combo that has a lighter catch - but still decent pull in the power phase.  Something like a SB High Aspect - which allows a more vertical shaft angle works a charm for us.

Once you try different blades and shafts - you will get a preference immediately.  One time was told a certain blade and shaft combo bought online and untested was supposedly easy on your shoulders - and after trying for less than a minute concluded that it was the worse ever.  That person since unloaded that blade and changed to a softer flex shaft as well.  So if you can - test as many paddles as possible so you can determine firsthand what works best for you.  Some anecdotal reviews online can be very misleading to those uninformed.

A 7.5 will be easier to paddle in near every way.

http://distressedmullet.com/2014/12/04/favorite-things-year-riviera-bump-paddle-ergo-grip/
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:33:11 AM »
Are the carbon Werner paddles (Nitro and Trance) very flexy?

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 08:54:03 AM »
Are the carbon Werner paddles (Nitro and Trance) very flexy?

I have the Werner Nitro in an an adjustable three piece, in the "medium" size blade and then early this year purchased the one piece Werner Trance in an 85". These are the only paddles I've owned, so I don't have anything to compare them to, but I don't find them "flexy". If you did want more flex, I believe you can also get Werner in a smaller shaft, and I remember reading somewhere that with this shaft the paddles have more flex.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 04:03:28 PM »
I hardly ever use my bigger paddles any more.   My 100 quickblade has been cut down for use as a surf paddle, I'd use a smaller ones for everything if I had them and I'm in the big guy category.

I find that using a big paddle just over powers everything. If your not up to speed you end up trying to muscle the board rather than use technique, when you are at speed I don't feel like it's as efficient either. 

Also its harder to get a clean catch and release so you end up with a slower cadence.  So its more of a case that a larger blade forces you into long 'power' strokes, but I feel its at a cost of efficiency.

We've spent a weekend with Travis Grant, he uses 85's for everything. He said he'd only use a larger blade for really short sprints.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:10:22 PM by Kaihoe »

faito anto

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 02:09:32 AM »
I'm about 70kg, and I've got an 8" paddle blade (Naish - fibreglass blade, carbon shaft).

I've had a lot of shoulder problems lately (not necessarily caused by paddling, but can be aggravated by excessive paddling).

My friend who I paddle with is a physio and he is also the proud owner of a new 7" paddle (Ke Nalu Konihi) which I've tried. It's amazing. Anyway, as both a paddler and a physio, he recommends I go to a 7" paddle which will not only be more efficient for me, but easier on my shoulder.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 04:16:42 AM »
We've spent a weekend with Travis Grant, he uses 85's for everything. He said he'd only use a larger blade for really short sprints.
One of the many wonders of these top paddlers is how they extract so much power from a small blade. I have the same 86 paddle that Travis uses, and it is easier on the body for sure. But I'm slower using it than I am with my slightly bigger 91 V Drive. I think that people with good technique get a much cleaner catch, and "scoop of water" behind the blade than I do, so can get more power from a smaller blade. I can feel it myself, actually: if I get lazy and/or rush my stroke, I can feel the 86 slipping. But if I concentrate and do it like you are supposed to, I can pull on it as hard as I like.

I think you are right, and there are some pretty complex interactions going on between paddler and paddle. But that might also mean that not everyone is faster with a smaller blade, if speed is your goal. If saving your body is however your aim, it's hard to see how a smaller blade would be the wrong choice.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 04:49:30 AM »

One of the many wonders of these top paddlers is how they extract so much power from a small blade. I have the same 86 paddle that Travis uses, and it is easier on the body for sure. But I’m slower using it than I am with my slightly bigger 91 V Drive. I think that people with good technique get a much cleaner catch, and “scoop of water” behind the blade than I do, so can get more power from a smaller blade. I can feel it myself, actually: if I get lazy and/or rush my stroke, I can feel the 86 slipping. But if I concentrate and do it like you are supposed to, I can pull on it as hard as I like.

I also feel the Trifecta 86 demands a proper stroke. This has made me a better paddler.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal