Author Topic: Newbie nesds advice  (Read 45728 times)

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newbie nesds advice
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »
Thanks Robon. I've seem your posts in flatwater section and talked to BWilliam. I'm not looking anything at the moment but really only tour or go island hopping. I've kinda been interested in the Bote Ahab but the weight keeps me from it. If he gets to paddle it I'd like to know his opinon. I like to keep up with the touring boards,never know when the"bug" might bite ;D

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2016, 04:19:13 AM »
Thanks Robon. I've seem your posts in flatwater section and talked to BWilliam. I'm not looking anything at the moment but really only tour or go island hopping. I've kinda been interested in the Bote Ahab but the weight keeps me from it. If he gets to paddle it I'd like to know his opinon. I like to keep up with the touring boards,never know when the"bug" might bite ;D
The Ahab is definitely the 1st on my list to test. I guess compared to some other boards ots heavy but I picked it up to feel its weight last week at the shop and it felt super light to me. Especially with the new carry system they have on the side of it. I will probably be testing something this week.

Dave

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 07:01:57 AM »
That does look like the best carry system for a board. I didn't know the new Ahab's had this. I'm looking forward to hearing how the Ahab paddles.Top end Speed doesn't matter to me but effort to get a heavy board moving and keep a medium touring speed does. Of course glide between paddle strokes also. THANKS

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 07:35:37 AM »
That does look like the best carry system for a board. I didn't know the new Ahab's had this. I'm looking forward to hearing how the Ahab paddles.Top end Speed doesn't matter to me but effort to get a heavy board moving and keep a medium touring speed does. Of course glide between paddle strokes also. THANKS
Yeah I'm not interested in top speed either. I like the new travelink system, definitely makes it easy to carry. I'm really trying to keep a open mind and I have looked at every board you guys recommended but everything is pointing at the Botes. For me they just have all the features I really want. I think coming from the big tandem Kayak has helped me with this, I know what I want to have with me on the water.

The Ahab and Rackham both have the hull that's good for sneaking up on fish, big weight capacities, all the tiedowns and bungee areas I need. The only thing I don't like about them is their price tag.

The weather is crappy down here for the next few days plus I'm working at the Miami Boat Show. I think Thursday is gonna be nice so I'm gonna schedule the demos for then probably. Over all there's gonna be 7 or 8 I'm gonna try out. 2 from Bote, 1 from Hobie, 1 from bic, and 2 from Riviera. I gotta say I've been impressed with this store so far. They are very knowledgeable and super friendly.

Dave

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 08:09:19 AM »
Sort a new to this site, and new to SUP world, after many years of canoes and sot kayaks mainly for fishing.

I'd suggest since you want the specific features and spec's to the Bote Ahab and Rackham, both very nice boards purpose built for fishing, but not so much for paddling efficiency.

Check out "DragonFly Paddleboards". DragonFly boatworks (Sturat Florida) has been around for many many years and builds the paddle boards like a boat, gel-coat-fiberglass 2 piece hull in a mold, assembled around an foam sub-structure. As far as paddleboards go they are heavy but considerably more durable. They have a 13'6" model which weighs mid 40's and the 12' Techie model that is a bit narrower and weighs low 40's. One of the features that DragonFly offers is a shallow water fin that allows me to paddle/pole in very shallow water that you can't reach with the standard 9" SUP fin. Both of these boards are similar in features and price to the above Botes, displacement v-bow-entry hulls with fly fishermen as the targeted customer.

Another close in shape and features is "Cayo Boatworks" located in Clearwater Florida. Very similar in shape and features to the DragonFly or Bote Ahab, but built more like the Botes, a CNC cut EPS foam blank glass/resin similar to a surfboard.

A different but worth a look is the "Live WaterSports" L2Fish is built using catamaran style design, is a bit heavier low 50's, but paddles very well.

I've looked hard for quite q long time specifically for purpose designed Fishing SUP platforms and the DragonFly and the Bote Rackham are pretty much the leaders of the pack.

Bote also makes a very nice looking board the HD that you might want to give a look if you are mainly paddling.

You did not mention fishing as your goal, which is my primary goal. I unfortunately have health issues and needed something lighter than 45 pounds and none, Bote, DragonFly, Cayo, or Live meet that requirement. One of the things I find is there are plenty of SUP's that will work for me that are in the  mid-30 pound range, but they like you have heard are a bit delicate in order to get a 12' plus board in that weight range. Bic uses a different process polyethylene and rather tough thermoformed material to build boards which is still light but tough as nails.

I recently purchased a 12'6" Riviera Voyager, used market good price, sub 40 pounds.. with a few dings to repair. These boards are common SUP build, EPS foam blank fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin similar to a surf board, and yes it's kind of fragile compared to my gel-coat & kevlar canoe or a roto-molded kayak, but it will serve the purpose of being light enought for me to handle, good paddling SUP, and will function well for stand-up sight-casting to bonefish in shallow water.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:13:24 AM by krash »
Old fugger who just likes to fish

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2016, 08:55:11 AM »
Sort a new to this site, and new to SUP world, after many years of canoes and sot kayaks mainly for fishing.

I'd suggest since you want the specific features and spec's to the Bote Ahab and Rackham, both very nice boards purpose built for fishing, but not so much for paddling efficiency.

Check out "DragonFly Paddleboards". DragonFly boatworks (Sturat Florida) has been around for many many years and builds the paddle boards like a boat, gel-coat-fiberglass 2 piece hull in a mold, assembled around an foam sub-structure. As far as paddleboards go they are heavy but considerably more durable. They have a 13'6" model which weighs mid 40's and the 12' Techie model that is a bit narrower and weighs low 40's. One of the features that DragonFly offers is a shallow water fin that allows me to paddle/pole in very shallow water that you can't reach with the standard 9" SUP fin. Both of these boards are similar in features and price to the above Botes, displacement v-bow-entry hulls with fly fishermen as the targeted customer.

Another close in shape and features is "Cayo Boatworks" located in Clearwater Florida. Very similar in shape and features to the DragonFly or Bote Ahab, but built more like the Botes, a CNC cut EPS foam blank glass/resin similar to a surfboard.

A different but worth a look is the "Live WaterSports" L2Fish is built using catamaran style design, is a bit heavier low 50's, but paddles very well.

I've looked hard for quite q long time specifically for purpose designed Fishing SUP platforms and the DragonFly and the Bote Rackham are pretty much the leaders of the pack.

Bote also makes a very nice looking board the HD that you might want to give a look if you are mainly paddling.

You did not mention fishing as your goal, which is my primary goal. I unfortunately have health issues and needed something lighter than 45 pounds and none, Bote, DragonFly, Cayo, or Live meet that requirement. One of the things I find is there are plenty of SUP's that will work for me that are in the  mid-30 pound range, but they like you have heard are a bit delicate in order to get a 12' plus board in that weight range. Bic uses a different process polyethylene and rather tough thermoformed material to build boards which is still light but tough as nails.

I recently purchased a 12'6" Riviera Voyager, used market good price, sub 40 pounds.. with a few dings to repair. These boards are common SUP build, EPS foam blank fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin similar to a surf board, and yes it's kind of fragile compared to my gel-coat & kevlar canoe or a roto-molded kayak, but it will serve the purpose of being light enought for me to handle, good paddling SUP, and will function well for stand-up sight-casting to bonefish in shallow water.
Thanks krash, the Cayo 138 was definitely another board I liked. Very similar features to the Botes. Yes I will be fishing from it "born and raised in Lauderdale fishing my whole life" it's not the main reason I'm buying it. Definitely top 3 reason along with exploring and exercise "oh yea and finding remote places my wife is comfortable paddling in her birthday suit"....... Lol.  I did look at the other 2 you mentioned and I can see why you mentioned them.  Both very nice boards,  just don't do much for me to be honest. I might try to find someplace local that hopefully carries the Cayo 138 so I can check it out! 

Dave

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2016, 08:57:02 AM »
Can't say enough good about my Jimmy Lewis Searcher especially from what I have seemed to pick up as to your intended use.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2016, 09:02:14 AM »
Can't say enough good about my Jimmy Lewis Searcher especially from what I have seemed to pick up as to your intended use.
I did look at that board last week I think.  Looks really nice but their website sucks!  Do you know any of the other specs like weight capacity? I'll have to look and see if I can find a good review video on YouTube for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 09:32:21 AM »
Darn if I could find it but some guy took off out of Florida on his and went for 2-3 nights with all his gear and even sleeping on the board. It was a news story rather than a review. Seems about 3-4 years back.  I think it's around the Zone here somewhere as well but I just tried google without any luck. Used to be one of the first things to pop up when searching out that board.
 I am 6'4" and around 200. I haven't overloaded mine yet. Not even close with crate and cooler in front and a crate in back. The construction is BOMBER.  Advertises a whopping 363 liters. Paddles really nice. Really, really nice.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2016, 09:52:24 AM »
Jimmy's website has always sucked. I've given him grief about it, but it's tough to get his attention about things he doesn't care about. I think people have been telling him to get a rack for his truck for five years. He finally got one, so maybe someday the website gets better. He basically cares about designing boards and doing downwinders. I probably got the order backwards.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »
Darn if I could find it but some guy took off out of Florida on his and went for 2-3 nights with all his gear and even sleeping on the board. It was a news story rather than a review. Seems about 3-4 years back.  I think it's around the Zone here somewhere as well but I just tried google without any luck. Used to be one of the first things to pop up when searching out that board.
 I am 6'4" and around 200. I haven't overloaded mine yet. Not even close with crate and cooler in front and a crate in back. The construction is BOMBER.  Advertises a whopping 363 liters. Paddles really nice. Really, really nice.
Let us know if you find it,  sounds like a great video. I saw something on Botes site about a veteran that was going to or already did paddle from Texas all the way to New York I think. Like I mentioned a few posts ago I love info.... I like to be able to research something in several different ways and to have tons of details... That's what has put me off some of the boards I've seen online,  just no info on them.

Dave

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2016, 09:54:15 AM »
Jimmy's website has always sucked. I've given him grief about it, but it's tough to get his attention about things he doesn't care about. I think people have been telling him to get a rack for his truck for five years. He finally got one, so maybe someday the website gets better. He basically cares about designing boards and doing downwinders. I probably got the order backwards.
Lol I don't get people like that.....

Dave

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »
I did look at that board last week I think.  Looks really nice but their website sucks!  Do you know any of the other specs like weight capacity? I'll have to look and see if I can find a good review video on YouTube for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave

The Searcher is a really nice board, and yes, the JL site sucks. The Canadian JL site has some pictures of the Searcher being used if you scroll down. One pic is of a board kitted out for fishing. The other picture with two two adults and a large dog on the board would have to be pushing 400 pounds for sure, so you could carry a massive load if it was properly spaced out on the board. I was interested in the Searcher before, but didn't quite need the width and the volume, but it would work well for cruising and fishing.

On bad websites like JL, sometimes you can find out more by going to their FB link and scrolling down through the pics. There is quite a few pics of the Searcher on there in action. One guy dwarfs his Searcher, and I'm thinking he must be in that 6'6" or taller range and well over 300 pounds.

http://www.jimmylewis.ca/?page_id=3556

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernSUP/photos/a.614188725269964.1073741922.201966669825507/614188761936627/?type=3&theater
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:19:06 AM by robon »

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2016, 10:44:01 AM »
Here is the story of the guy on the searcher that went through the Keys.

http://www.naplespaddleboardcompany.com/

Naples to Key West Crossing:
EXTREME PADDLEBOARD ADVENTURE!

April 30, 2012 Naples, FL
Enrique Gianello, Owner of Windstalkers Kiteboarding and Paddleboard and NAPLES PADDLEBOARD RENTALS is embarking on an epic paddleboard journey from the Naples Pier to Key West, FL. The journey is between 200- 250 miles along coast of Everglades, 30-40 miles per day and will take 6 days. The mileage and exact course will be determined by the weather conditions. On a Jimmy Lewis Searcher paddleboard with only the bare essentials he can carry, this journey will be a true test of Enrique’s survival skills, mental and physical endurance. A journey this distance, on a paddleboard in open water has never been attempted before. Enrique has been planning this expedition for 1 1/2 years.

Four months ago Enrique set the date and and began physically training for this grueling 6 days of paddling in the open water against the elements. He initially lost 30 lbs through diet and exercise and began resistance training with a personal trainer. He focused on gaining muscle and increasing hos endurance. 

A journey like this would not be possible without this new innovation in paddleboards by Jimmy Lewis Boards. The Searcher Board’s length, width and girth is large enough to carry Enrique’s gear and to handle wake and chop other boards cannot withstand. Enrique is carrying only the bare essentials such as a fishing rod and grill basket to prepare fresh fish over campfire, protein supplement, granola, dried fruits, dried meat, and 6 gallons of water. He’s also equipped with a machete to cut through mangroves that block his path, knife, solar charger, an android tablet, GPS navigation device, and an Emergency SPOT device. 

Enrique’s plan is to paddle 8 hours per day, in 2 hour increments, paddling 2 hrs and resting 1. Each day Enrique will have 14 hour of sunlight to complete his journey. Enrique plans to begin slow, steady and consistent the first 3 days and then increase speed and distance as he approaches Key West.
Approximate Course:
Day1- Begin Naples Pier to Cap Romano near Marco Island
Day 2- Arrive Pavillion Key- West Coast of Everglades
Day 3- Arrive Highland Beach/ Storm Beach
Day 4- Cape Sable, Sunrise FL
Day 5-Big Spanish Key
The Crossing- Enrique will cross the 7 Mile Bridge in FL Keys at sunrise and head toward Key West
Day 6- Smathers Beach, Key West FL

Follow Enrique's Epic Adventure on Facebook. www.facebook.com/windstalkers and find links to track Enrique along the coast during his journey.

Enrique Gianello is Owner of Windstalkers Kiteboarding and Paddleboard. Windstalkers is a full service surf shop located in Old Naples, FL. They offer lessons and equipment in every discipline of surfing from kiteboarding, paddleboarding, skim boarding and more. All instructors are IKO certified. Windstalkers also offers Teen summer camps through Collier County Parks and Recreation.
Windstalkers Kiteboard and Paddleboard
                                    953 3rd ave north Naples, FL 34102 (239) 601 2700

For more information on The Searcher www.jimmylewis.com.
Sponsored By: Jimmy Lewis Paddleboards
Press and Media: To cover this story, for additional photos, or a full recap of the adventure, please contact Gibranna LaCava gibranna@socialbutterflynaples.com
###

Enrique Gianello, Owner Windstalkers Kiteboarding Paddleboard

Jimmy Lewis "Searcher Board"

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »
found these too, I am pretty sure these are his from his trip

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal