Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215636 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #660 on: March 31, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
Very cool. Those plywood ribs would be a cinch to knock out with the new Glowforge Laser cutter I've got gathering dust in the garage. I need it for my shop in Hood River but I haven't got much use for it in Maui.

That lacing technique looks familiar, but I can't recall where I've seen something similar.

Carbon tow is pretty remarkable stuff. I've used it freeform with the threads spread out as a decorative strengthener for glass. It works surprisingly well just laid sparsely on and swirled around with a chopstick or a paintbrush. You might try it with a clear fiberglass version of your wing. I bet you could make a wing that's at least partly see-through/hollow. Art project.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #661 on: March 31, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »
Not sure about the weight since I do not own a very accurate scale.  Probably a little more than a kai go foil due to the increase in structural support.  I have a little play using a non-tapered fuselage insert but I plan on shimming it out some more with some filler.  I like the idea of being able to change the wing position fore and aft.  Gives me something to experiment with.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 31, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
Thanks for the detail, I get it now. One more question.  You knot the first end and you mention that the other end is held with clamps. What do you do to secure it so the clamps can release? Or, do you lay them against the last rib so the resin holds them once it kicks?

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #663 on: March 31, 2018, 10:38:12 PM »
Not sure about the weight since I do not own a very accurate scale.  Probably a little more than a kai go foil due to the increase in structural support.  I have a little play using a non-tapered fuselage insert but I plan on shimming it out some more with some filler.  I like the idea of being able to change the wing position fore and aft.  Gives me something to experiment with.

What a cool/unique technique! If you want to shave a bit of weight you could try using divinycell (or similar foam) for the ribs. If you brushed them with epoxy they'd be plenty sturdy for the rest of the production & they'd be really easy to cut out too, and bond really well with the glass.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #664 on: April 01, 2018, 03:25:49 AM »
I use a tiny bit of cellophane/plastic wrap under the clamps or you could just push a pointed tooth pick of appropriate size into the hole with the cord to pinch it in place.  When cured just cut them off.  I really like the idea of the divinicell wing profiles,  Ill have to try that.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #665 on: April 01, 2018, 03:58:22 AM »
Very nice. Are you designing the wings in CAD or is it a more manual process?
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #666 on: April 01, 2018, 04:11:57 AM »
I tried the CAD thing but I found it to be a waste of time since I already know what I'm aiming for.  I just draw up planshapes according to the surface area I need and use different thickness wings based upon their use.ie - behind boats, large waves, small waves, river waves....
My goal was to create a strong wing as quickly and inexpensively as possible in order to test and tweek.  Without using carbon I can create a usable  wing for what I'm guessing is about $30-50.00.  If you are lucky , carbon fiber 24K tow can be found in large 4 lb rolls for $30-40.00.  This one roll could probably make 30 wings?  Maybe more?

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 01, 2018, 10:07:12 AM »
Las one, I promise

This is fascinating. I like the idea of a see-through foil, just for the look.

I also like the abrupt changes in sweep in the leading edge. If you wanted smoother, you could notch the ribs then fit in a piece of rod forced to conform to the curve, or a pre-shaped piece of wood. Lay out some of your twisted tow to make your rod.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #668 on: April 01, 2018, 11:48:48 AM »
Great idea about using cured rods of 48K tow bent over to form curves.  Ill have to try that.  I also have some 2mm coremat which would make great stuff for wing profile templates instead of using plywood. 

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 03, 2018, 10:40:35 PM »
How does coremat work? It looks like heavy felt fabric online. Would you cut it to shape then laminate fibre on each side while laying flat?

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #670 on: April 04, 2018, 12:14:27 PM »
just wet it out, let it cure, cut to shape, drill it, glue wing profile template to anhedral form, lace it.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #671 on: April 12, 2018, 07:38:26 AM »
A noticeable benefit of using both an endoskeleton and an exoskeleton is the ability to make very thin wing sections with considerable strength.  Anyone have experience with longish winglets?  I can always grind them back if they prove to be of no benefit.  Next step is vacuum bagging some carbon onto these wings.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #672 on: May 05, 2018, 02:24:04 PM »
I thought I'd give the laced wing technique a try in creating my new short mast.  I am curious to see just how many layers of carbon it will take to make this stiff enough.  My original mast took 12 layers of 6oz fiberglass covered with 7 layers of 3K carbon twill, 45/90.  All this over 10mm of plywood/glass core.  The short mast should make surfing river waves a bit easier since most of the major turbulence is near the river bottom.  Very much liking the new foil on rivers and behind boats,  have not yet had it in the surf.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #673 on: May 05, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »
Here is the finished foil.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 08, 2018, 07:34:23 PM »
Nice! What did the mast end up taking to stiffen it up?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal