Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215667 times)

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #585 on: February 10, 2018, 11:46:17 PM »
It wasn't bagged, I don't think it will handle the pressure, maybe I should try.

I was just surprised how impossible it seemed to wrap it without wrinkles.  But I imagine if I do bottom patches and top patches the leading edge will end up a mess.  I mean more of a mess.  A jig to hold it upright is a good idea. Thanks.

As for building tools to build the thing, I need to work on that.  Patience and prep are not my strong points.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 11, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »
Try using peel ply to hold the carbon or glass in place. It's useful without bagging--or just plastic cling wrap, or ripstop nylon (which makes a reasonable peel ply for bagging if you run out). I put mast tracks in my two foil boards yesterday to try sailing them as an aid to learning to foil quicker. I laid cling wrap on top of the last layer, added a layer of foam and then a steel plate as a strongback and topped the mess with an 80 pound bag of concrete. I was concerned that the tracks might lift a bit since I laid a layer of six ounce under the tracks, doubled up at the ends. As it was, one of them got a bit recessed. Should be fine.

The cling wrap doesn't peel off very easily but sands away easily. I cut away the glass over the track slot with a razor blade while the glass was partly cured and picked out the foam to make sure I didn't have any drips in the track.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:07:19 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 11, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »
Worked like a charm!

When you fiberglass the plug, do you do top layers then bottom layers with separate cuts of glass, or do you wrap one piece of cloth from one side around the leading edge and back down the other side?  I just tried the second way and it did not go smoothly.
Thanks

it is possible to lay up both sides in one go with plain weave however it takes a lot of manipulation and the fibers get distorted a lot, using a twill weave will make it a lot easer. If I'm just doing a quick prototype I lay the first layer in one go then the rest of the bottom layers in another fare the edges then the same on the top similar to how you would laminate a board odiously bagging it all throughout the process.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 11, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »
Lot’s of custom windsurfing boards just had two bolt holes to accept the chinook two bolt mount.  Seems like that would be much simpler. Mast tracks present lot’s of other problems.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 11, 2018, 09:01:10 PM »
I'd love to use one, but that's a hard to find part. I could make one up if I had access to a mill here on Maui, or I guess I could weld something up and embed it in PVC, but mast tracks are easy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 13, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »
New board for me 6’10 x 26.5

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 13, 2018, 07:26:58 PM »
Can't wait to see the bottom of this one. You're iterating so fast now it's cool to watch. I'm curious as to where the U.K. Foil board style will land once you dial in the rails.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 14, 2018, 01:58:44 PM »
using the new jig to route the foil inserts out works a treat

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #593 on: February 14, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »
The fixture looks great Charlie.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 14, 2018, 08:50:21 PM »
Right, Jrandy? Charlie it's pretty cool of you to post up those files too.

I dug back into Fusion360 last night and made a little tool/jig for a friend who makes scented oils. I've not started on a wing but your screencast is awesome and is a great example of giving back.

I'll build one of these for sure before I install that next cassette.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #595 on: February 15, 2018, 10:02:49 AM »
Charlie it's pretty cool of you to ost up those files

+1,  I could never figure out how to design a wing until I saw your example.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #596 on: February 16, 2018, 04:22:27 PM »
Charlie it's pretty cool of you to ost up those files

+1,  I could never figure out how to design a wing until I saw your example.

+2, I was having trouble with the dihedral/anhedral bit until I watched the latest tutorial from Charlie.
Now I gots me some 'swoop'...
Edit: just found out that the *.dat file for (airfoil) import Spline CVS in Fusion360 needs x,y,z <CR> format instead of x<tab>y<CR>
Now I gots me some 'foil'...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:57:19 PM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #597 on: February 16, 2018, 06:17:22 PM »
Third time through the procedure and all is well...
Be safe, have fun. -J

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 16, 2018, 08:53:21 PM »
So supuk, In your pic. It appears you are routing out to install a duel mast track in I’m assuming high density foam. If true then it would seem you don’t feel it necessary to bond through to the deck as previously mentioned. Is that what I’m seeing? I’m interested because I’m about to put some tracks in a repurposed board soon. I thought I would need to run through to the deck of the board to get a secure mounting.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 16, 2018, 11:41:53 PM »
That is correct I have been using this method for the last year without any problems. I use a 35mm deep insert and put a layer of glass or two around it then glass over the top with a patch and it’s good to go. Yes you could go to the deck if you wanted and felt the need but this has been working for me

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal