Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215599 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #495 on: November 13, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
wasn't the best wave by any means but was the only one a friend captured unfortunately he missed the first half too.

http://youtu.be/FA7G61LeC38

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 14, 2017, 09:45:36 AM »
had a go at cnc a wing mold this eve, only in foam at the moment but got a idea im going to try to see if I can turn it into a cheap method to make a one off.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 14, 2017, 07:16:34 PM »
Dude, you are getting there. Curious to see if you'll be able to cut a plug to glass over, or do you think the mold is the way to go with the construction method?

I've been googling and I can't find anywhere that explains solid carbon fiber construction like you find in solid rod construction. Is that how the GoFoils are made? Are the solid carbon/resin?

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #498 on: November 14, 2017, 09:08:37 PM »
My slingshot is made of prepeg carbon. My understanding is that it is a liquid that is sold refrigerated and then you squirt it into a mold and it goes off at room temp. That's my simple regurgitation of how my buddy explained it to me.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »
The reason for doing the mold is you have a lot less hand finnishing to do. It would be easy enough to cut a core to glass over like my previous method but not as accurate.
I’m not 100% sure how pultruded stuff is made but it’s going to involve some sort of tow being pulled through a die and cooked. It would not be themethod used for foils I would think.

Pre preg just means pre pregnated cloth so rather than having to wet by poring resin on and using a squeegee it goes into a machine and saturated as it goes through a number of rollers to give even saturation and the correct ratio of fibers to resin. The resin can be of any type but normally it is resin that does not cure at room temp but requires a oven and cures at around 150deg. The parts would go into the oven normally in a vacuum bag to compress the laminate.

The oven or autoclave as they are called can then ether be at atmospheric pressure or pressured, this then helps put even more pressure on the vac bag to help compress and remove any air from the laminate.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 14, 2017, 11:21:47 PM »
But are they solid? That's the impression I get from all the info but that seems unlikely. I'm familiar with pre-preg cf like in car parts but the discussions all seem to try to make it like they are solid pieces but that doesn't make sense to me.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 14, 2017, 11:29:09 PM »
The wings and fuz would defiantly not be solid, they would weigh a ton the mast could be but still fairly unlikely.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 17, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
I came across this today via another forum, its not a method I have used before but could quite easily work especially for things like masts.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/icelandic-aerofoil-humbles-formula-1-engineer-willem-toet?trk=mp-reader-card

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 18, 2017, 03:32:54 PM »
Thought I would re visit 3D printing a wing now I got the cad sorted. Still geting a little warping I think it would be better to print in smaller sections to stop this.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 18, 2017, 06:45:49 PM »
Dude, you're getting there. What about sending them out to a larger printer? Probably crazy expensive but maybe a student at a college could help with access to a high end printer?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 19, 2017, 02:09:35 AM »
like you say would be crazy expensive and probably even then not that many that will go that large. there are cheap printers that could do half at a time but is more complicated than just the size of the machine. The idea of this is more it gives a method that people can on a relatively low cost printer at home.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 19, 2017, 02:50:09 AM »
Half the wing printed, like I say still geting a lot of warping, not sure if that’s just the shap or the type of plastic I suspect a combination of booth. The idea for this for me is to be able to find the best way to try new shapes so don’t want it to become to complicated. I will print the second half and then glass the hole thing and see how it holds up.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #507 on: November 20, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
Right on, I can feel the stoke all the way across the pond to norcal!
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 20, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
Dude, that’s pretty good. If you get the file straight you know that the cheap printers are going to catch up soon anyway. That’s the great thing about tech.

I got a big box of resin, glass, and carbon today so things are getting real around here too.

One question, seeing all these wide wings coming out. How wide was that last wing you made? It looked wider than the Takuma.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 21, 2017, 01:34:18 AM »
it was a 800mm span

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal