Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 217210 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #390 on: August 13, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
so I  trimmed the laminate and made a jig to hold it straight and true on a table before removing the plug/original foil. I then keyed the inside of the fresh lam and filled with por foam. Let cure and then sanded to the new bottom profile.

After that I made a second jig around the original wing and fuz to which I then used to line up the 3d printed socket that fits the fuz and make sure the incidence as the same. Whilst doing that I gave the foam a coat of bog to help with faring it all in before moving on to glassing. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 13, 2017, 01:11:02 PM »
Dude, you really are a composites wizard.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 14, 2017, 01:21:21 PM »
Sorry forgot to take pics along the way but got the bottom fared in laid up and in the bag this eve.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 14, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »
I like the profile--skatewing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2017, 11:45:39 PM »
Out the bag few small areas to fare in then for a hot coat. Hoping to test Thursday when some wind and waves arrive.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 15, 2017, 07:57:47 AM »
Supuk (and Container too), how do you do your trailing edges? I think I asked before but I couldn't find it in a search. To me they are the most finicky part - delicate if not wrapped/lapped, and it's tough to bend carbon.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: August 15, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »
once you have laid up one side of the foil i usually flip it over (doesnt matter which side) and dig a bit of foam out along the trailing edge so the top and bottom laminates can meet and you end up with 10-15mm of solid carbon.

nice work supuk, what have you changed about the leading edge?

edit- thats 10-15mm fore and aft, not thickness

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 15, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »
Supuk (and Container too), how do you do your trailing edges? I think I asked before but I couldn't find it in a search. To me they are the most finicky part - delicate if not wrapped/lapped, and it's tough to bend carbon.

Similar to container I lay one side up get it all sanded nice and then trim the core back and fill it with resin and fibers, sand that back and the glass the top. I only wrap around  we're there is a radius the trailing edge just gets left with a little over hang that can be trimmed when cured or part cured.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 15, 2017, 12:01:35 PM »
once you have laid up one side of the foil i usually flip it over (doesnt matter which side) and dig a bit of foam out along the trailing edge so the top and bottom laminates can meet and you end up with 10-15mm of solid carbon.

nice work supuk, what have you changed about the leading edge?

The original leading edge had very little camber bellow the center line so I have filled it right out. I will show a comparison tomorrow when the hot coat is dry and have it sanded

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 15, 2017, 11:59:25 PM »

Good idea. The only foils I have made were two layers carbon and one glass in one go over both sides of a hot wired foam core, ie bending around the leading edge. When I trimmed the trailing edges I was left with a 1mm slot with neither surface touching the other. I was able to insert a cedar strip and it became remarkably tough afterward.

However another screw up with this method (which I adapted from a dry lammed daggerboard build): The core was squeezed aft while in the bag so the perfect wrap over the leading edge was ruined. Next time I'll do opposing surfaces separately like you guys do. Scratch that - I'll try some other method and ruin some more carbon! Learn from your mistakes. I've learned alot.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 16, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »
the other way you can do it is cut the core at the start then use masking tape as your dam for filler, let dry sand back then glass and wrap the leading edge

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #401 on: August 17, 2017, 02:55:54 AM »
Can I guess that you're trying to get more lift from less wave by increasing the camber of the foil ?
 The greater the variation of the foil curve the higher it's performance but only in a smaller window of AOA.
 It'll work fine at a certain speed and AOA but lose lift either side of these parameters.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 17, 2017, 03:00:22 AM »
no not exactly more trying to change its handling characteristics, testing later today hopefully

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 17, 2017, 09:37:02 AM »
Here it is and back from its first test it is all very positive which slightly surprised me!  The first thing I noticed was the feeling of being on the edge of control the hole time as dropped right back and it now feel that changing height is no big deal and it is a lot less sensitive to over corrections. The second thing is the speed, it is a lot slower that the takuma which may sound odd but the extra drag is quit nice as it doesn't make you shit your pants every time you drop down a slightly larger wave and it means your not always out running or running to the shoulder of the wave the hole time just trying to bleed speed off to stay with it. One sessions odiously doesn't mean much and I found I need to move my front foot hock forward a half inch which means I need some new inserts but I feel its defiantly a good size step forward so happy days! 8)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #404 on: August 17, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »
Interesting.  So the main difference between the original Takuma wing and your prototype is a thicker leading edge?  You did not change the surface area of the wing?

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99