Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215649 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #570 on: January 20, 2018, 12:29:33 AM »
Not nesaseraly true it all depends on the component and what forces it has to take. I have spent a few days with some guys that build components for f1 cars and foils for ac yachts and learning a huge amount. Carbon does have its limitations and things it doesn’t like to do.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 21, 2018, 02:38:38 AM »
Just about there with the latest iteration of the fuz and mast. Happy with the result and all up weight of just a fraction over 3kg all up.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 21, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »
Dude, 3kg is amazing for all that. The mast and fuse look great. Your skills are unbelievable man. It offsets all us home builders on here. ;)

I guess you can sell that Takuma now?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:57 AM »
Cheers yes that’s the plan

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #574 on: January 23, 2018, 11:31:16 PM »
Just about there with the latest iteration of the fuz and mast. Happy with the result and all up weight of just a fraction over 3kg all up.
Very nice, can't really call that DIY anymore, that looks like a pro setup.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 24, 2018, 04:40:38 AM »
cheers its getting there but still lots to play with, There isn't much there that's super high tec it just requires a little planning preparation.

I went out on the XXl today on the takuma mast , it was 50knots on shore in the harbor and I had to paddle prone to get anywhere. I went for the center channel to take some more dw style bumps but the mast felt terrible with such a big wing and not only could you feel the flex side to side but also a lot of twist so there is defiantly a limit some were between the 160 and 260 wing for were a aluminum mast becomes not usable so bare this in mind if you are planning big wings. Next time out I will try the carbon mast and see how that compares.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 24, 2018, 07:34:30 PM »
Dude, I hadn't thought about the torsion on the mast with a bigger wing. I'll bet we start to see some serious returns on those big slingshot wings.

Such a crazy thing to watch the physics of a sport be worked out in real time, in the market with people selling stuff they don't even understand yet.

I appreciate the testing you are putting in. I'm sure people test but I feel like a lot of the kite guys just started making bigger wings for their rigs and calling them surf wings.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 08, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »
Had a little break and headed to the mountines it’s amazing the similarities of ridding nice deep powder and surfing foils.

I recently deside to take one of my old boards and hack it about a bit, I’m not convinced on the shape but it was siting in the rafters not doing anything so who know I should learn something from it good or bad.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 08, 2018, 08:10:58 PM »
The evolution continues. I'm plugging away over here. Starting to pay attention to the boards now. I'm pretty sure that'll be the next thing I look at.

Question, have you prone paddled a foil yet? I see the benefit of the paddle for getting back out after long rides but I haven't seen you posting about that yet. Everyone seems to just be using regular surf boards for that and I'd think that some innovation there would happen too.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 09, 2018, 12:01:19 AM »
No I have not tried a prone board yet, since creating the new wings which made life a hole lot easier the weather went to cold and water to nasty to be paddling around prone in it but it is something I plan to do when things warm up a little in the spring and summer and I have designed a board ready that's ready to cut as soon as I feel its time. The other nice thing about having the paddle is your not restricted to one break, I quite often surf 2 or 3 different breaks that are quite spaced out and I wouldn't want to paddle that far prone, it also make the long paddles just a little easier. 

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 10, 2018, 10:52:40 AM »
Tested the modified board today back to back with my current board and it still sucked. The chined rails just takes to much volume out and leave you feeling like your trying to do log rolling.

For me this pricapal Just doesn’t do it to get maximum power down to get on the smallest posable wave you want as much stability as you can get and taking volume from the rails and having more in the center goes totally against and combine it with nice hard rails you get a nice quick release on take off or if you make a quick touch and go.

So onwards to the next one :)

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #581 on: February 10, 2018, 02:38:27 PM »
I keep wondering about those chines people are putting in their foil boards.  I don't know anything about board design but I always feel like what I really want is for the rails to be two pontoons.  It would be like standing on a small dock.  :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 10, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »
I think that also, you have less push to your waves so getting going is probably more effort. It's early and I think there is room for a few designs. Blue planets boards don't look like Kalama's. Lotta ideas.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #583 on: February 10, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »
Worked like a charm!

When you fiberglass the plug, do you do top layers then bottom layers with separate cuts of glass, or do you wrap one piece of cloth from one side around the leading edge and back down the other side?  I just tried the second way and it did not go smoothly.
Thanks

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 10, 2018, 09:01:19 PM »
Opie, was that bagged? I did mine by wrapping as you said and while I got a few wrinkles it was mostly solid. I think it may just take some time to work out the technique.

I'm curious as to how Charlie does it but wrapping should be doable.

I'm working on a holder for my next one so I can have the leading edge pointed up and spin the wing to get all the wrinkles out. This is my "test" wing. I'm hoping to get a bigger one 3D printed soon and start on another that can mount to the same fuselage and then I'll probably start another mast and fuse. Or, I might just give up and buy one. Haha.

One thing I've learned is that in addition to building the thing, you often need to build the tools to build the thing. My first board, about 1/4 of the total build was setting up jigs and such. Also, testing is key. I've actually never done a build operations without a test. I built handplanes to learn to laminate. I planed and drilled and routed spare foam before installing plugs and fins and that saved me a lot of materials. Check my thread, you can see the results of my wrap. I had some wrinkles for sure but I know I can do better next shot.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal