Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 216843 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #555 on: January 09, 2018, 02:08:46 AM »
Just finished the XXL wing ready to try dw soon as we gets some suitable conditions, Although mid winter here we get a lot of storms and high wind its hard to find days that are safe enough to go out in to do dw runs but fingers crossed its not to long before I can have a play.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 13, 2018, 03:26:59 PM »
Playing around with making a new carbon fuz so just cncing some new molds :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:29:23 PM by supuk »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 13, 2018, 04:57:35 PM »
That's nice. I th BK that's the thing I'll change on my next one, my fuse is pretty chunky. I could go with something more that size for sure. I am considering buying the Liquid Force fuse and mast and just making wings for it, but I'm not sure if I want to give up a carbon mast. After this one I'm pretty sure I could make a pretty decent one with 3D printing or just wood again. It's not that hard really.

Ready to see this molding. Will it be hollow or will you build up carbon and make it solid?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 16, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »
Taken longer than hoped to get the fuz mould done but got them all waxed up this eve ready for the first layup. I’m going to do the first solid as a test, I ordered a roll of 200mm x 200m of 12k uni the other day as it was on special. I was a bit shocked when it arrived I think I have enough to last a lifetime! Im ether going to try making up some prepreg and chilling it before laying it in to get a nice tight lam without excess resin and then bag it or alternatively I could go the resin infusion route which may work quite well.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 16, 2018, 07:01:27 PM »
Stoked to watch this one come together. I can't quite envision how the solid layups work yet. Will you cut the fabric to fit around the filled areas?

Over here I just got my sealant tape so I'm gonna get started bagging some stuff over here and I finally picked up my surf mat project too. (Super stoked about that for travel.)

The more I read about mast bending, the more I think that the carbon mast and fuse is the way to go.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #560 on: January 16, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
The more I read about mast bending, the more I think that the carbon mast and fuse is the way to go.

The fact that there isn't a Takuma or Naish mast available in the U.S. right now  makes me think there are a lot of guys bending their masts.  And at the rate I'm bending them I'll need 8 masts to get through one year.  Carbon is the way to go.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 17, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »
The new infusion bits are pretty interesting. I especially like the look of the sleeved spiral pipe. The biggest problem with infusion is all the stuff you throw away. Anything that reduces that pain is interesting. Do you plan to do that fuse mold as infusion? You need to make a few of mods to that mold to make it infusion-ready unless you know something I don't (pretty likely). As soon as I get back to the Mainland I'm going to attend some infusion classes. My GMC Motorcoach project is crying out for some aero parts. Probably carbon. Infusion would be the way to go for big molds like these would be.

I use table-pregging for almost any CF project, and most fiberglass ones as well. Slow hardener, reasonably firm scraping the excess off the layers and gelcoating the mold or sealing the plug makes for a light, strong, not very leaky part. I've never had one fail to pinhole, but that's probably just because I don't know what I'm doing.

You might also consider doing a foam core and pressing the mold like a paddle blade since you have a CNC shaper. You could lap one side and squash the other. You wouldn't want the skinny blade-like edges of a paddle. You'd need to strongback the mold and clamp the bejesus out of it, but once you got the technique down you could crank out some nice masts.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:00:18 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 17, 2018, 10:38:55 AM »
I have laid up the first test and is in the bag, I have done it in two half's like the previous one I did and then will bond together. If I do infusion I could ether do it in two parts and just do the standard process of I will add a port in and out of the mould for the resin to flow. I would use the outer channel for a silicone gasket to seal the two half's.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 17, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
The few attempts I've made at infusion I had a lot of trouble getting the resin to flow to all the corners. My most recent attempt I had four out forts and two in. I cut off the two outlets in the middle almost immediately since the resing line was a deep convex curve. I had to fiddle with both the inlets and the outlets to get the corners and still had undersaturation in the furthest reaches. Hence, classes before I try it again. But I'm almost certain that one inlet and one outlet, even on a narrow piece, will have problems. I'd go on both corners and the middle. I've seen parts done (not by me) with just the corners that were dry in the center.

On the other hand, people that know what they're doing get perfect results with setups that look bound to fail to me. I must have watched more than a hundred infusion videos. Some of them show shockingly bad molds that get great results. There's one guy that spray-glued carbon to an old car hood with some window putty around the edges and got a perfect-looking reproduction of the hood in carbon. If I used that much spray glue the part would have freckles everywhere.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 17, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »
Pono, I'd love to have a bagging class down here in SoCal, infusion seems like a lot of work but I'll bet that as you say, a class would make it more do-able.

The bottom of a board makes a pretty good wetout table for small pieces, by the way, as long as you clean it up before it all kicks. I figured that out doing this bottom cassette. One less piece of plastic to toss.

Charlie, when you bond the pieces are you putting carbon over the joint or just epoxy?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 18, 2018, 02:04:08 AM »
if anything infusion is simpler its like anything in composites there's no real short cuts if you want it to work well so you have to use the correct resin and materials specific to infusion if you want good results.

I use a structural two part adhesive to stick the two parts together, its a lot stronger than standard epoxy.   

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 18, 2018, 08:01:17 PM »
Regarding the structural adhesive, hopefully you're not using the aerospace stuff. ;) Crazy to see $100 for 6oz of glue! No wonder jets and super cars are so expensive. The composite game has gotten crazy.

The boat stuff is not cheap but it's reasonable at least.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 19, 2018, 09:59:59 AM »
It’s a marine adhesive spabond345 .

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 19, 2018, 11:03:38 AM »
100 bucks of adhesive is a lot cheaper than welding.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 19, 2018, 09:41:12 PM »
True that Pono.

It's a sign of my age that I still think of metal as stronger.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard