Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 217075 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #525 on: December 03, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
Very cool. Beautiful work. I never build anything that pretty.

Yeah, my enclosure looks like crap. Every time I look at it I want to toss it in the trash and rebuild it. I had a big piece of plexiglass left over from building my somewhat-useless water tunnel, so it has one clear side and the rest is 1/4" plywood I had kicking around. With all my metalworking equipment you'd think it would be a cool aluminum cabinet, but no.

Cowboy, you are on to something there--I have two I never use. A Form 1 and a really early one I don't remember the name of--one of the little guys with laser cut wooden frames. Problem is that if you get an older one the print head and bed temperature probably won't go high enough for Polycarbonate. There are other fiber-reinforced plastics that have high tensile strength, but if you want to print parts that can do something useful you need to get a hot enough printhead and bed to do PC. You can buy aftermarket printheads but they aren't a bargain and it adds to the fiddling you'll have to do.

PLA and PET print beautifully if your printer is set up well. Most old printers have limited bed adjustment. If the print is going to be fine, then you can't get away with any bed misalignment. Any imperfections in the adhesion of the first layer and the part is going to be compromised and might come apart during printing.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:36:33 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 03, 2017, 08:53:15 AM »
That’s the reason I went with the prusa as it has the auto mesh bed levelling and other than setting the z height when you change plastics it’s fairly hassle free printing. The new mk3 has even more cool stuf though which is tempting

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 03, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
I'm going for either the Prusa MK3 or the Luzbot. Prusa is a lot cheaper but the Luzbot looks super sturdy and has a big volume (11X11X10").
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:01:40 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 03, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
I was surprised how sturdy my prusa was when you see the construction, the mk3 should be super solid with the extrusion frame so that wouldn't worry me. The extra build volume is nice but its in a totally different price bracket but if price is not a problem why not. I have been wondering about a cheap cr10 to print foils on as it has a 300 x 300 x 400 volume , it has other limitations but hear its not bad for the money and if I had a spare $400 I would.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 09, 2017, 06:22:22 AM »
Got out on the new wing and it’s a little faster than the old hand shaped wing so I think I’m going to try doing anouther with a few mods but the same technique using the printer plus perhaps a even larger one for light down winding. The current one is just over 1600 sqcm.

There are two clips here from yesterday it’s not normally we’re i foil but waves were small so the beach break was the only option and it gets a shallow fast as one of the clips shows. Must get around to trying some different angles you just don’t get a feel for height speed and angle from the paddle

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #530 on: December 09, 2017, 08:39:49 AM »
Must get around to trying some different angles you just don’t get a feel for height speed and angle from the paddle

Maybe you could mold / print a pocket that would recess into the bottom of the nose of your board and nest a Gopro into it. It would face downward and backwards. If it was completely through the board, you could even insert from the top side so you could turn it on and off from the top side. Or make it an add on nose piece that stuck out a little so you could see the board and foil. Make it a little longer with an arcing beam mount that holds the Gopro in a nose cone of sorts, and captures you, the board nose in the center and the foil below.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:02:31 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 09, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
Must get around to trying some different angles you just don’t get a feel for height speed and angle from the paddle

Maybe you could mold / print a pocket that would recess into the bottom of the nose of your board and nest a Gopro into it. It would face downward and backwards. If it was completely through the board, you could even insert from the top side so you could turn it on and off from the top side. Or make it an add on nose piece that stuck out a little so you could see the board and foil. Make it a little longer with an arcing beam mount that holds the Gopro in a nose cone of sorts, and captures you, the board nose in the center and the foil below.

the problem isn't how or what I think its more the fact I'm to lazy and can never really be that bothered with taking the camera out, it tends to get rather boring to watch, you always seam to have to mess with it and I prefer to just get on and surf. Would be good to see what the foil is doing a bit more though, ill have to try get one of those smaller ones maybe but cant justify a go pro as they always seam to die after a year or so. my £60 yi camera has been the best I have had so far!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 09, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »
Th cameras are a hassle. I notice that Robert from BluePlanet gets some good angles off his paddle from down low.

I love that you've got the wing dialed printing down now. That's really cool and you will be able to prototype so fast.

I busted my toe pretty good popping up at Malibu today. Maybe that'll keep me in the garage for a bit. ;)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #533 on: December 09, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
Yes I'm getting some good angles of the foil from my paddle mounted camera by holding it low, I'm playing around with different angles in this video.

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #534 on: December 10, 2017, 06:58:45 AM »
Yes I'm getting some good angles of the foil from my paddle mounted camera by holding it low, I'm playing around with different angles in this video.

Great video and looking good!! That board is crazy looking!!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 10, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
yes those shots look great, at the moment I haven't found any wave here that come close to that though and I don't think the 50+knot winds and freezing rain could ever look quite like that and give me so much time to play around with things, its  defiantly hi on the holiday list now just for all the cool looking foil waves you have.  It also looks like you have a wider angle so get more of the board and foil in the picture which make a big differance but have not quite figured how to change that on mine yet.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 14, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »
Had a fun surf today but the cold killed the camera 10mins in so only got this one crash at the start of the session. Waves were clean today but relativly fast for a foiling waves so took a few more good crashes after this one, really need to find some nice big fat rollers somewhere, I got some really nice tight cutbacks today but it’s so hard with the short steep faces to stay in the power zone, dreaming of the big Hawaiian bumps and warm waters in the videos!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 16, 2017, 02:27:07 PM »
I won’t bore everyone with any more of the building on here but the printer has been running flat out and I now have two more plugs ready to mold from , a XL and XXL :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 16, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »
Wait, those are your latest prints? Those are flawless. How are those finished, are you putting primer on them and sanding? That's almost unbelievable compared to the prints I usually see. You've tuned that Prusa up man.

Trust me, this thread has not been boring. Check the numbers, there are a ton of lurkers.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 16, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
yes they have had a coat of filler primer on them to which I sand and then wax ready to laminate on

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal