Author Topic: 2016 SIC FX 12'6 X 26 VS Starboard All Star 12'6 X 25 Shootout  (Read 40449 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 SIC FX 12'6 X 26 VS Starboard All Star 12'6 X 25 Shootout
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2016, 08:39:34 PM »
The All Star looks pretty fun DW in breeze and fine surfing beach waves.  The 14x25" would probably be a fantastic DB and DW ride whether in Hybrid - or better for us - Carbon Sandwich if the price was right. 

Based on this review vid - the boof is apparently anti-pearling - so that would make the board very rider friendly for the average Joe.  On our M-14 and especially Bullet 14V2 - you must get back fast otherwise half the board will pearl in big steep waves.  The margin for error looks to be much less for the All Star - and the board planes and turns nicely with the trip concaves.  Possibly you can catch even more rides - staying more forward - more of the time.  The benefit of the low profile surf nose however - is no issues with side wind and waves blowing you off course.  So always compromises. 

For many - would expect the 27" and 28" in Hybrid to be quite popular - and faster than the Bullet and M-14 in flatter waters.  But am still waiting for demo season - so reserving judgement until we can paddle a 25" firsthand.  Does look pretty fun on a DW though.   :)

http://youtu.be/8D-GwyqsIlk

http://youtu.be/mSu6VrpKo5w

http://youtu.be/DnNyY70TlGE
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2016, 09:55:32 PM »
"The margin for error looks to be much less for the All Star" - oops meant to type "more".   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2016, 05:22:08 AM »
Eagle: the "boof" is not so good for short period steep backed waves, in fact, it's very much a spoiler.  I had a SB Coast Runner, it was a great open water touring board that at first blush, downwinded great, it would pick up any runner or bump, even in downbreezing winds.. But the boof was a turn-off.  Kinda like skiing or snowboarding on a late spring day on groomers - imagine warping out some super-g turns on shaded icy corn, only to hit a patch of sun baked slush.. But worse. Insta-superman to face plant.  Now I realize that the last few iterations of the AllStar have a much finer nose, but looking at this newest version is like looking at the Coast Runner.  (At least I see it that way, YMMV). 
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2016, 09:57:22 AM »
Valid point Muskoka - my runs with the Ace boof upwind and DW confirm a face plant experience if you stay too far forward.  So getting the trim right is still vital to avoid a big speed drop.  With the Bullet and M-14 our trim is such that the nose is just on the verge of pearling for max speed - any deeper pearling creates a big drag effect - even with a pointy surf nose.  If the All Star boof can flex and has a bit more float - it may allow a wider margin of error for the Average Joe that generally does not walk the board much.  But yeah - any board is pretty hard to handle in steep backed waves.  What we find works ok is to slow down to the speed of the wave - and make sure the trim is right.

Here - very skilled Clément demonstrates deft footwork and fantastic balance and timing on a very very tippy pintail Ace.  Notice how little the Ace boof pearls and how little water sprays over the nose of the board.  Shifting backwards and forwards and to the sides - seems to be the key to maintaining proper trim on those waves.

http://youtu.be/HbdKlEpK4rg
Fast is FUN!   8)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2016, 12:21:08 PM »
That chap Clement is a wee whippet with great balance and skill.....he's good!

Eagle.....you need to get an Allstar and let me know how it gives compared to the M14. I reckon the Allstar....maybe  a 27 wide would be great DB, racing and fitness board for an average punter like me. It is still numerous 1 on my list just now.

Still, the more I get on the M14 the more I like it.....

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2016, 01:05:20 PM »
Haha - he actually looks to be about my size.

Was thinking about calling up the distributor today - but am going to wait until a proper demo day.  Will see if he has a 25" he can bring along.  Since these Carbon Sandwich boards are so expensive and have such a limited demand - he may not.  But in talking to one of the sponsored riders - we should be able to arrange something at some point.  He told me last year if I wanted to test the new Sprint at any time - to just give them a call.

And yes - just keep that M-14 nose on the verge of pearling - and you will catch wave and wave.  Just wait until you get that board in some decent breeze and you start full-on planing.  You will grin ear to ear.  Cheers mate.
Fast is FUN!   8)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2016, 01:50:42 PM »
Haha - he actually looks to be about my size.

Was thinking about calling up the distributor today - but am going to wait until a proper demo day.  Will see if he has a 25" he can bring along.  Since these Carbon Sandwich boards are so expensive and have such a limited demand - he may not.  But in talking to one of the sponsored riders - we should be able to arrange something at some point.  He told me last year if I wanted to test the new Sprint at any time - to just give them a call.

And yes - just keep that M-14 nose on the verge of pearling - and you will catch wave and wave.  Just wait until you get that board in some decent breeze and you start full-on planing.  You will grin ear to ear.  Cheers mate.

Think we are now itching for a decent breeze now....it has been just too little or storm force or offshore! Last weekend started out promising but after 4 miles totally died.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2016, 02:34:01 PM »
Eagle.....you need to get an Allstar and let me know how it gives compared to the M14. I reckon the Allstar....maybe  a 27 wide would be great DB, racing and fitness board for an average punter like me. It is still numerous 1 on my list just now.

My guess would be that the All Star 27" would be a nice board for your purposes.  The 26" Bark Vapor as well.  Either of those boards would be quicker than the M-14 when the breeze drops.  If the price is good - those may be good options - since your opportunities to demo boards seems to be quite limited.

Since we already have a 27.25" Bullet - we are looking for something that accelerates faster in DB conditions.  If we end up with a 25" All Star - that might be perfect.  But the stars need to align for that.  We just refuse to pay top $ for any Carbon board - and have always just used what we have until the right deal came along.

Last year we were very close to buying that demo 17.4 Bullet DCC - as it was ear-marked for us - but then the new version with FAST was announced.  So we are always looking for the deal on a nice carbon board.  But when we think about it - over 4 boards at time may be getting a bit much - since it is tough to justify any board you use only sporadically.

Now about the wind forecast - just be ready - as it will surely pick up soon.  Best.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2016, 06:45:09 PM »
Good approach Eagle.  There's always going to be someone chasing the latest and greatest, as well as early adopters, so best to sit back and use what you have until opportunity knocks..   BTW, you may have a bit more time to save your $ for a Bullet 17, as there's been a delay in getting the FAST system into production..(not an abrupt halt, but more of a behind schedule).  Just an FYI.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2016, 06:58:53 PM »
Good approach Eagle.  There's always going to be someone chasing the latest and greatest, as well as early adopters, so best to sit back and use what you have until opportunity knocks..   BTW, you may have a bit more time to save your $ for a Bullet 17, as there's been a delay in getting the FAST system into production..(not an abrupt halt, but more of a behind schedule).  Just an FYI.

Thanks for that inside track Muskoka.  Will be interesting to see how the FAST compares to the A.S.S.  Actually offered to buy that demo 17.4 for a set price about a week before the announcement - but the Dealer hedged and wanted to wait until the season was over before agreeing.  So as it worked out - was not obliged to go through with the deal.  You know what they say - "A bird in the hand ..."

Not checked - but the 17.4 may still be for sale as it probably is the only one in the area.  Most all UL SIC are the F-16 around here.  Understand that you have a new 17.4 lined up and have been waiting.  Probably is better they get the FAST sorted before shipping out boards.  Was told by the dealer last year they were working out the bugs with the new rods - even back then.

In any event - with the 17.4 you will love the feel of control and dominance over the wind and waves.  Has kind of a regal feel - where all the commotion around you subsides.  Just pummels anything in front of it - and with steering - saves a ton of paddle strokes angling across waves.  Very easy to stay in the power band and is all about timing and finesse.  For us as light weight paddlers - we do not have the power to man-handle the board like a 14 - but was able to get the board to plane a couple of times.

Seems optimized for long distance excursions in the open open vs short steep chop we often get round here.  It can definitely handle small steep waves - but the F-16 nose rocker seems better suited for that.  We have been using our trusty heavily rockered M-14 - and that so far - has worked a charm.  Jeremy recommends the F-16 for our waters up in Squamish.  Cheers.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2016, 03:52:10 AM »
Thanks for the affirmation, Eagle.  Although I agree that the F16 would be a better turn-key downwind unlimited for here too, I decided to go with the Bullet so as to be able to step off of the plane in Maui and onto a Bullet without a learning curve.  I paddled one there, and in Maui conditions one does not need any extra beat -down.

There's also been lots of positive feedback from Aus, specifically Brisbane, on the suitability of 17' unlimiteds for shorter period downwinding.  Of course, some of the Melbourne bunch use them too in the short period lake like Phillip Bay. 

As is said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Besides, there's a couple of 12-6's and a 14 in our quiver already for everyday paddling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal