Author Topic: Upwind/downwind on Fanatic Falcon 14x24.75  (Read 2688 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Upwind/downwind on Fanatic Falcon 14x24.75
« on: February 05, 2016, 05:58:53 PM »
This is not an epic downwind video by any means- it's only 12-15 knots and the rider (me) is not a very good downwinder. But it's on a board that I thought maybe some of you boardheads would be interested to see in action- The 24.75" wide 2014/15 Fanatic Falcon. I'm actually trying to sell the board if anyone wants it (and can pick it up in Florida) because I have a custom 23.75" wide board to use for racing and I still have 27.25" wide Falcon that I can use for downwind.

The video was taken during a workout I sometimes do on the ocean where I'll paddle 800 m upwind, rest, 800 m downwind, rest, etc. In this one I got my fastest 800 m speed average so far, 11.48 kph. But upwind I was much slower, around 6 kph, so the average of the upwind and downwind sections was 8.something kph. What's a good downwind speed goal or upwind/downwind average to shoot for?

https://www.strava.com/activities/486133249/analysis
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Upwind/downwind on Fanatic Falcon 14x24.75
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 04:27:39 PM »
Great board.. I live in Naples so I do downwinds sometimes the way you do it (upwind/downwind) but prefer to join Miami gang for downwinding in the ocean or the bay. The last time I did 13 miles across the bay my average speed was 6.2 but that includes sitting down and waiting on the rest of the group. I think your average speed will be dependant on your skill level as well as conditions.
Sometimes on the gulf coast we have pretty good conditions for DW from Sanibel to Lovers key/Bonita/Naples depending on the angle of the wind. We do get nice rollers in 4-6 ft range when it is blowing 25-30mph. It just involves a little bit of car logistics :)

All the best Greg.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:50:00 AM »
Greg- Let me know if I can tag along next time you're planning a DW from Sanibel to Lovers' Key. I've also thought that a shorter version of that downwind run, from Big Carlos Pass to Bonita Beach, could work, and would be less driving. When the tide is ebbing you can shoot out of Big Carlos Pass pretty quick.

You should hook up with the CGT race team http://cgtkayaks.com/race-team.html if you want to do some paddling with us. We usually practice on Tuesday and Thursday nights, either in the Imperial River or on the Gulf. Last night we raced around Big Hickory island. We have a facebook group where we organize our logistics and stuff. Sunday morning we're doing a 5k race in the Imperial River. It's $5 and you get lunch afterwards.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1529911720667720/

-James Douglass
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 07:42:41 AM »
Greg- Let me know if I can tag along next time you're planning a DW from Sanibel to Lovers' Key. I've also thought that a shorter version of that downwind run, from Big Carlos Pass to Bonita Beach, could work, and would be less driving. When the tide is ebbing you can shoot out of Big Carlos Pass pretty quick.

You should hook up with the CGT race team http://cgtkayaks.com/race-team.html if you want to do some paddling with us. We usually practice on Tuesday and Thursday nights, either in the Imperial River or on the Gulf. Last night we raced around Big Hickory island. We have a facebook group where we organize our logistics and stuff. Sunday morning we're doing a 5k race in the Imperial River. It's $5 and you get lunch afterwards.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1529911720667720/

-James Douglass

James, that would be very cool to have a team of downwinders on this coast :) This coming Thursday forecast looks promising 310NW 20-25mph winds with 295WNW swell at 5-6 ft@8 sec. So far a perfect run from Sanibel lighthouse to Bonita Beach Rd. Roughly 13 miles. But things could change thousand times over :) It is Florida gulf coast.

I would like to join you guys for your paddling sessions, not much interest in racing but rather hanging out with like minded folks. Let me know how to get a hold of you. Maybe pm me with coordinates.

thanks Greg
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal