Author Topic: Anybody cut/shorten a Werner paddle?  (Read 10586 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Anybody cut/shorten a Werner paddle?
« on: February 02, 2016, 02:16:34 PM »
I picked up a second Werner Gran Prix M1000 from a local.  I really like this paddle. At 15.6oz (443g) it's nearly 30% lighter than another big name paddle I have and far better balanced. The blade shape is not heavily pear-shaped so I bang rails less with it.  ..manly sized shaft ..yatta-yatta.

I have to cut one tho'. They're both 78" ..a full Shaka over my head.  I will keep one long for flatwater but seem more comfortable at about 72" in surf. (I'm 5-11)  Assuming it was put together with epoxy, I hit it with heat from a commercial heat gun.  I warmed up the joint pretty good ..to no avail.

I have motorized sharp stuff but I thought perhaps one you have been down this path and can share.  Thanks. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody cut/shorten a Werner paddle?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:48:16 PM »
Carbon or Plastic Handle? I ask because heating the plastic makes a bad design even worse leading to breakage.

Anyway it's likely the carbon. The handle inserts 2" into the ID of the paddle shaft. So cut the paddle 2" from the joint (maybe add 1/4") then using a right angle grinder or a sander carefully grind off a section of the shaft just down to the handle. Then then thin down or grind the opposite side down to the handle and peel off the shaft from the handle. Don't forget to wear a dust mask as carbon dust is very bad for you!

If you screw up you can always buy a new handle but Warner does not sell them directly to the public. You have to go through a dealer. I think the carbon handles are around $45 last I checked.

Werner has a link on their website for cutting shafts and the recommended glues to attach the handle.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 05:20:13 PM »
I've shortened my Werner several times. Used a heat gun while twirling the shaft. Took a while but the handle eventually pulled right out. Kept the heat off the handle and the shaft got pretty warm, but it'll come.  Love the Werners.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:31:36 PM »
Jim.... you are a talent with material, so I am sure you can handle the heat gun, but just a warning.... too much heat weakens the carbon, from what I hear.
If the heat doesn't work for you, try this:

I cut down a werner I got from Stoney a few years ago
I cut the shaft below the handle plug, then I took a hacksaw blade (no saw) and cut a slit up the piece of shaft epoxied to the handle.
I inserted a flat blade screwdriver into the slit and pried the shaft bit off, a little at a time.
It didn't take too long to work around and finely pop the shaft bit off the handle.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »
A pot of boiling water is sometimes more effective than a heat gun for getting the handle off (DJ trick).  But as STC said, don't over do it. 

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 06:13:12 AM »
Thanks guys.  I knew that crab pot would come handy for something; it's on the boil!  Thanks Bean.   I tend to use a framing hammer to pound a tack (short attention span ..need to hurry) so advice to 'take it easy' is well given.   

??.. I guess I must be a F-ing hoarder; rather than cut the handle off and chip off the ferrule bit like Creek says ..I want to preserve the full length?! (I have three others if someone needs one...) Jeeez...  Cheers.

Jim

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 07:23:02 AM »
Boiling - No Go.  It spent about 15min in the tub at a standing boil.  I measured the temp of the shaft at the handle when I pulled it out: 150f.  The one noticeable change: the surface of the handle and about the first 4" of the shaft were 'blushed'.  ..as goofy as I look in the lineup this is not an issue.

Staman.. they do a excellent job of hiding that resource. I understand supporting dealers, but not all of us need someone to do it for us, or live close to a dealer.  Thanks for reminding me to use the mask. 

Chop saw - here we come.   

Jim

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 09:58:10 AM »
I've done it with a chop saw then follow Creeks plan works for me

Beauty of KeNalu this is never a problem

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 10:01:14 AM »
Since I typically would rather break something further that have someone else fix.. I did both.  I 'broke' the shiny finish by boiling it off ..and then as a real American, went-got a heavier hammer ..'n-fix'dit.

Thank the Larid for cheap, infrequent use tools from Harbor Freight... 

Rather than trusting Starman (should have), I lopped off a large chunk and ran a rule inside 'till I hit the insert.

I took a cutoff wheel and scored the shaft to see if I could get a chisel under an edge to break the shaft bit free - uh-uh. (in the picture below you can see my first cut; I forgot how thin the shaft was ..ooops)

God this is messy! ..like carbon is magnetic. It's a damn good thing I did it outside.  After fiddling in an attempt at holding this level I found it better to hold the handle about 45deg at the front, round end of the belt and lightly twirl it. 

I used the cutoff to check-fit it ..nice an snug.  Hot glue is next.  Cheers.

Jim

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:42:09 AM »
Is it too late to suggest that 15min at a standing boil is too long? Remind me not to eat lobster at your place ;D

In any case, it looks like you are getting to the right place...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 12:40:36 PM »
Jeez, what a mess. What's the ID of that shaft? If it's somewhere larger than 0.92" you can hot glue an extended or standard Ke Nalu handle in there. I know Lane still sells them individually. I've made a shim out of a chunk of shaft to fit a Ke Nalu before. You take the piece and cut in lengthwise, then make a second cut about a 1/4" or so that permits you to compress the section and slip in into the shaft. You can epoxy the shim  in permanently and then hot glue the Ke Nalu handle in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 03:23:09 PM »
Bill, Since both you and Big Jim brought it up.. The next paddle to get folded into a package resale deal here is a Ke Nalu.  It's the one I find too heavy and unbalanced by comparison of four other brands I have, the KN blade is only 8% lighter than a molded plastic one. 

So I am not blowing smoke up your nether region.. I elevated the paddle's blades about 13" and placed the blade on a pretty accurate scale in a attempt to somewhat unweight the effect of the shaft and handle. (all below - done the same)

Aqua Bound Adjustable - plastic blade:17.3oz   Total weight: (incl. carbon shaft/handle): 28.4oz

K-N - carbon blade:15.9oz   Total weight: (incl. shaft/handle): 22.4oz

Kialoa Methane - carbon blade:14.9oz   Total weight*: (incl. shaft/handle): 24.3oz

Rivera R9 - carbon blade:12oz   Total weight: (incl. shaft/handle): 17.6oz

Werner Grand Prix M1000 - carbon blade:9.3oz   Total weight: (incl. shaft/handle): 15.2oz

For me, good balance is when my lower hand does not feel as if there is seaweed on my blade out of the water.

...and I did get the Werner handle to fit back into the shaft.  Hate to add this.. but I also really like the Werner handle.  I rotated the KN handle a number of times (thanks to hot glue) to find a more comfortable position - could not find it.  The basic T-handle on the Methane is fine, the KN was like stuck half in/half out from being a cup or a T.

And.. I like lighter!   

Jim

*the Methane has a 3" hardwood plug/epoxy repair about 3/4 up the shaft as I fell and busted it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 04:59:04 PM »
No idea how you got such a heavy one. I just weighed my Konihi at 83 inches with an extended ergo-T handle and a bunch of hockey tape on it--509 grams = 16.4 ounces. the only loose blade I have kicking around is a Maliko xTuf, which is a heavier blade--226 grams = 7.97 ounces. No idea what you got going there, but that's nowhere near typical Ke Nalu weight. For a long time the Ke Nalu and ZRX paddles were the lightest you could buy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:07:40 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 05:47:53 PM »
Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy...... a freeking cutoff saw???? (wheres the Emoji dude with the horrified look?)

I said hacksaw blade - sans hacksaw. for a reason. it is slow.... and incremental.... so in as how you don't be gashing the handle  :'(

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 03:52:39 AM »
Hey Fellas, I have a handful of Werner paddles, love them. I've always shortened them in a chop saw. The secret to this is a sharp blade in the saw, preferably a finish quality blade, and not a rough blade meant for cutting framing material.  The next trick is to have the paddle blade absolutely static, not allowing it to move, or shift during the cut.  This can be done by hand, but also can be accomplished with a clamp. Finally, get the blade up to full rpm's before plunging it into the shaft, and make contact with the shaft slowly and evenly. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal