Author Topic: nose riding  (Read 5999 times)

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
nose riding
« on: September 17, 2007, 07:21:19 PM »
Just kinda curious... we've already had the discussion on waxed boards and padded boards....  I like the waxed boards cause I like the feel and also like to move all over my boards ie: get on the nose whenever I can... So anyway, most of the boards with pads I've been seeing pictures of only have the pads a bit past the middle...  (Randy and Chan have that cool bitmappy pad pattern on their board noses... )  So do you pad guys stay mostly on the tails or am I missing partial wax jobs or some other kind of texture? 

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: nose riding
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:34:17 PM »
steve at infinity provided me with this clear non-gritty texture griptape that provides grip without the thickness of a pad and allows the logo on the board to show through. i ordered some along with their foam pad with the intention of applying it on my trisect once it arrived but i started to toy around with cork and wound up not applying either on the board yet.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 03:35:49 AM »
Just kinda curious... we've already had the discussion on waxed boards and padded boards....  I like the waxed boards cause I like the feel and also like to move all over my boards ie: get on the nose whenever I can... So anyway, most of the boards with pads I've been seeing pictures of only have the pads a bit past the middle...  (Randy and Chan have that cool bitmappy pad pattern on their board noses... )  So do you pad guys stay mostly on the tails or am I missing partial wax jobs or some other kind of texture? 

I wax the nose. The wax lasts a longggggggg time when you only go there for nose rides.

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 11:52:18 AM »
Do you ride the nose with your sub as easy as with your longboard? ???

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 12:17:34 PM »
Do you ride the nose with your sub as easy as with your longboard? ???

Definately not as easy as my longboard but I try. Rode a friends heavy custom SUP board and it was much easier than my styro epoxy SUP to get on the nose. Probably depends a lot on the board. Bet the JL SUP's noseride.  :)

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:53:58 AM »
I don't remember who it was, but a few years ago, I was talking boards and noseriding with someone in Haleiwa, and he told me that you can really noseride any board, you might just need a little stronger wave to get it done. I used to think that you had to have a purebred noserider shape to get up there...then I saw surfers like Kanoa Dahlin hanging 10 on their high performance boards with thruster fin setups. Then, in stand up paddle surfing, I saw Leleo Kinimaka noseriding with ease on his high performance PSH board with a quad setup. It's easy to overlook the skill of the surfer and assume it's the board shape that makes them surf as well as they do. Even if you have a performance model, bring your board up to the lip, then run up to the nose, you just might surprise yourself. Aloha.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »
Well, i've had a 12'. No way to hang five. The fin was maybe too small for 12'.
i ride now a 9'11" with the same fin and it's better .
The board is so wide that I think about riding the nose on the rail. :P
I think of trying a bigger fin.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal