Author Topic: Winter Storm Jonas (and naming the winter storms)  (Read 7608 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Winter Storm Jonas (and naming the winter storms)
« on: January 25, 2016, 03:27:57 PM »
We got hit HARD here in New Jersey. Like a foot of water got into Island Surf and Sail where we had the Sunova demo in December. I took quite a few shots of the damage and surf. Also scored some decent shots of my waves yesterday (1/24).
This thread/topic is for any pics you fellow East Coasters might have.
I kinda like the idea of naming the winter storms. Helps me to remember them.
Link here to my Flickr album of the damage and surf. There are some pics of rusted out car chassis, bumpers, and a tire that are showing now after the storm. They were dumped on the beach here on Long Beach Island after the '62 storm.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42058618@N05/albums/72157663247302909

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:07:21 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Winter Storm Jonas( and naming the winter storms)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »
that is cool but that is some awful looking water . How od you get pictures like that of your self? Does some one take them ?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Storm Jonas (and naming the winter storms)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »
Hey Marc - rough to hear that Island Surf got flooded - hopefully it wasn't too bad. Thought LBI wasn't that badly affected by the storm and it was the coast further south towards Delaware that took the brunt. Looks like a lot of erosion to the beaches as well.  Didn't get a chance to make it out since we haven't yet made the move to Oak Beach but it looked like Long Island was going off on Sunday... 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 06:25:50 PM »
Geeze Marc... that sucks.... Hows Jack? All his computer video Tech survive???
What will the locals do without Jacks daily dawn surf check???

Please tell Jack & Terry I wish them well and that I am thinking of them!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:33:22 PM »
that is some awful looking water . How od you get pictures like that of your self? Does some one take them ?
loll...it ain't called "Dirty Jers" for nothin'! I'm so used to it after all these yrs surfing here!
Shots? Where dey comin' from? Either the SOLOSHOT video or hi res shoots....or some of the many stokers here where I live hook me up. Check this thread for more info.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27324.msg284555.html#msg284555
rough to hear that Island Surf got flooded - hopefully it wasn't too bad. Thought LBI wasn't that badly affected by the storm and it was the coast further south towards
  I haven't had a chance to get to ISS yet, waves were calling the past two days. Today had really nice clean leftover conditions. We got nailed pretty good with flooding and erosion. But Atlantic and Cape May counties got it a bit worse. Also it's really odd, for the first time ever there is a sh!t ton of gravel on the blvd. Seems the ice flow from flood waters has carried the gravel from properties onto the blvd. I heard one car already had a broken windshield.
Today's leftovers-

Hows Jack? All his computer video Tech survive???
What will the locals do without Jacks daily dawn surf check?
Jack is well...I see him pretty reg at "The Left". Also ran into him at a video showing about LBI at a local watering hole. His vid editing gear is all second floor...high n dry. I'll tell the boys you said hi. Got any pics from this swell? It was FIRING here! But spots north of "The Left" were pretty treacherous.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:38:11 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 07:05:32 PM »
It was really disorganized Saturday, obviously. Sunday morning more of the same but it cleaned up late in the day. Throw in the AFC championship game and the first pic is what I arrived to late Sunday afternoon. Yeah it was good  ;D

Second pic is a spot that I can walk to that rarely ever breaks but it was on Sunday. If you look closely on the left hand side, you can see the left that was showing just off the cliff. There were two guys out at this spot and were just riding conveyor belt after conveyor belt. Pretty awesome just to see them get so many waves by themselves.

It's been weird to be back in New England waters after spending the past 2.5 years in SoCal. It's almost starting to get lonely out there sometimes  ;)

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 09:53:21 PM »
Nice shots surfercook!  You guys are hardcore, that water looks so damn cold and choppy.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 06:03:01 AM »
Nice shots surfercook!  You guys are hardcore, that water looks so damn cold and choppy.
Thanx, Newps! (unusual user name! What's it mean?) Hey this ain't Huntington Cliffs, man! It's dirty, cold, nasty, kick your ass Jers!  :P

Video here showing some REALLY bad erosion on an oceanfront property w/our buddy Jack Bushko in it! Turns out the car I drove by and snapped a picture of was from some clueless reporters who were here to cover the storm. looks like the storm covered them! Up to the axles!

http://www.app.com/story/weather/stormwatch/2016/01/24/app-reporters-get-stuck-icy-lbi-floodwater/79267592/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 06:39:56 AM »

That's one nice image... but where's the paddle?  ;)
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 07:48:05 AM »
Nice shots kayadogg! Thanx for posting. I kinda like surfing alone sometimes, everyone needs solitude. But it's good to get in the mix regularly. That's what I like about surfing. It gets you off the pc and out interacting w/real people. RL is better than VR!
That's one nice image... but where's the paddle?  ;)
lol, that shot is off my buddy's GoPro knock off.He was head cammed up and it smacked him in the nose and cut him pretty good that day!...My paddle is totally obscured by my arms in that stance! Here's the previous frame.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:54:18 AM by surfercook »

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 08:24:19 AM »
SurferCook,

Glad you got some waves Still "Socked In" here in PA but our site (pictured here) survived unscathed So I consider myself Lucky

I hope everything fixes up well at ISS

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 12:17:14 PM »
Geeeze Jimmy.... call a fella back!
I am relieved to hear that the shop survived with out damage..... it didn't sound good from up here.
I called a bunch..... figured you musta had the "big one" while shoveling.... your still alive, so that's good.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
That's great to see Jim!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
Jimmy K, Glad you did not have to do another rebuild! PA did get crushed - my daughter and her fam still shoveling!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 02:13:31 PM »
western LI had excellent waves sunday, esp late afternoon, when the wind died to nil.
got many OH waves. Few others in the water, i was with my my brother and friend, both accomplished short boarders--they were ranting envious of my wave count. nice day for me. missed monday which was said to be smaller but totally clean.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal