Author Topic: Cheap Electric fatbike  (Read 95701 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Cheap Electric fatbike
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2016, 03:14:38 PM »
I did a kitesurfing downwinder today using my new Motobecane Plus bike. I love the 27.5 x 3 tires. They work great on the low tide hard pack. The pure soft dry sand, its squirrelly. But so is a fat bike, just less so.

But on the road, no comparision. The plus bike is so low drag compared to fat bike, I enjoy using it with motor off. Can't say I enjoyed fat bike motor off.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2017, 01:21:38 AM »
Radcity and FLX are cadence sensors for pedal assist,

Surface 604 is torque sensing (which makes a lot of sense to me) and the

M2S has the new Bafang max mid-drive that combines torque and speed sensing at 80Khz.

I got the impression the FLX was going to be delivered with some version 3 of the motor which is torque sensing, and also has a throttle.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: January 01, 2017, 06:20:27 AM »
thanks Yugi,

you are correct about the FLX torque sensor. That, and finding out that the M2S has no throttle, made up my mind.  I am taking your advise and getting a FLX trail and a good lock. 

Had no idea about the wheel size history!

Happy New Year!!!

ed

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #183 on: January 01, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
I know nothing about bikes....is this the one you're talking about DW
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-fantom275-x7-plus.htm
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-fantom275-x7-plus.htm

Yes, that's my bike and what I paid.

Only thing that still breaks my heart is knowing it only cost http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mountain_bikes/529ht_29er_mountainbikes.htm
$399 with 2.25" tires. The risk with the $399 version is not knowing some details, like whether 3" tires can be swapped in. They don't give axle size details or bottom bracket length (100mm?).

We're getting ripped off going for the hot bike size, although not getting ripped off as bad as fat bike buyers.

BTW, my rims are narrow. It looks like same rim used for 2.25" tires. I sure wish we had both bikes side by side to measure.

Anyway, mine works great. Love the high end shifter and hydraulic brakes. So much better. I just ordered hyd brake sensor wires from lunacycle. I tired going without the sensors, but yesterday Bafang had dumb moment and was spinning tire and throwing sand with throttle off and no peddling. Brake lever motor kill feature would have been handy at that moment.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
thanks Yugi,

you are correct about the FLX torque sensor. That, and finding out that the M2S has no throttle, made up my mind.  I am taking your advise and getting a FLX trail and a good lock. 

Had no idea about the wheel size history!

Happy New Year!!!

ed

I agree with your choice.  I'm interested in one of those for trail riding.  I have a street only bike and would like another.  Please give us a review once you get your bike dialed in. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2017, 04:44:21 PM »

Bafang needed one tiny shim to clear frame. When I tore stock bottom bracket cartridge out, there was a washer in there, that was perfect shim needed.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2017, 05:36:56 PM »
They are finishing the extension of the Cape Cod Rail Trail bicycle trail in Yarmouth right behind where I work.

So my 3.8miles commute will be 1.3miles of smooth level bike path. I am biking to work next year!

I dont want to build my own Ebike, and am deciding between the Surface 604 colt, Radpower Radcity or FLX trail premade.

All 3 in the $1500-1700 range.  Any comments on premade E-bikes?

ed

Glowmaster, here is the bike I bought for my wife about a month ago.  It's an EVO Eco Lite. Unisex, step thru frame.  Great bike.  Battery concealed in the downtube, 500W geared motor on the back axel, mechanical disk brakes.  Rides great.  Tops out about 20 and cruised easily at about 17 hardly pushing on the pedals.  Throttle or 5 levels of pedal assist.  Shocks aren't great but they help a little.  We haven't tested the range, but it appears to go about 25 miles on a charge, specs say 50, but I doubt that.   $1699.  We love it.  The looks don't scream "eBike!" as I said before, that's a blessing on bike trails where agro traditional cyclists are.

Here's a link.  Wow, I just noticed, we got a good deal on this bike:
http://www.electriccyclery.com/shop/electric-bikes/easy_motion_e-motion_electric_bikes/e-motion-evo-eco-lite/?gclid=CLXpvLmrotECFUlqfgodQ4QIKQ
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:38:15 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
Here is the Mongose fat tire next to the Motobecane Plus tire

Here is the tire clearance on the Motobecane

Here I think you can see the skinny rim.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:22:06 AM by DW »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »
I'm going to make the argument FOR the FAT tires, considering the thread is for fatbikes.

I realize that there ARE NOT many people like DW or me that truly want to ride the bike down the sand BUT for those that do I have found that I my 4.0" tires are on the smaller side. 

I have been thinking that I would add larger tires because in soft sand it takes everything to keep my bike going.  Considering that I weigh 180 the bike is 60 lbs and the added board, surf rack, wetsuit and dinner from the night before could be 50+ lbs the entire rig is starting to push 300 lbs.  We have 6 foot tides and semi steep beaches so the only time you get hard pack is at dead low tide otherwise you are zipping along and sinking from time to time into soft patches trying to maintain speed.

It looks like I have the capacity to add 4.5" tires, with 1/4" on each side, and given all the power from the Lunacyle 1500 Watt motor WHY NOT GO BIGGER..  The electric fat tire bike is like the HUMMER of bicycles. 

Here is a video of my return from surfing in Miramar Beach, HMB CA.  Truly awesome to just bike along and stop at your own private spot.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:11:06 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
Just did a check on weight distribution.  I had thought that the majority of weight would have been on the rear tire.  But hopping on the peddles and standing on the digital scale I measured:

153 lbs Front Tire                -----            142 lbs Rear Tire

With this board on the rack. 

I was considering JUST using a wider REAR tire but this suggests a more even distribution that I thought.  I am sure that sitting in the saddle would move the CG backward alittle BUT this even distribution supports the argument that a center mounted bottom bracket motor results in better weight distribution than rear-hubbed motors.  A wider tire could also let me run with slightly higher tire pressure potentially resulting in better sand and road handling.

PS: If you look closely you can see that my kick stand snapped in half.  Ah the joys of pushing the limits with new technology.  Fortunately only $12 on Amazon. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:46:04 PM by Beasho »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2017, 04:08:04 PM »
I wondered about wider tires too. I also wondered if my Mongose tires were hurting traction. The Mongose tire is like a motorcycle tire. Side wall is so heavy, it doesn't mushroom at low air pressure.

My Motobecane 3" tire has side walls paper thin like a race bike. I can't run very low air in them.

How are your high quality fat tires?

This is so fun....

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »
Just did a check on weight distribution.  I had thought that the majority of weight would have been on the rear tire.  But hopping on the peddles and standing on the digital scale I measured:

153 lbs Front Tire                -----            142 lbs Rear Tire

With this board on the rack. 

I was considering JUST using a wider REAR tire but this suggests a more even distribution that I thought.  I am sure that sitting in the saddle would move the CG backward alittle BUT this even distribution supports the argument that a center mounted bottom bracket motor results in better weight distribution than rear-hubbed motors.  A wider tire could also let me run with slightly higher tire pressure potentially resulting in better sand and road handling.

PS: If you look closely you can see that my kick stand snapped in half.  Ah the joys of pushing the limits with new technology.  Fortunately only $12 on Amazon. 

Beasho, I'd like to see the construction of your side rack that can carry a SUP.  Looks like it was made from PVC pipe.  Tell me about how you did it.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »
Softer tires for sand. You can go very low with tires like that.

Just get some Stans noTubes liquid in there for in case you hit a rock or a curb to not get snake bits (rim hits).

Doesn't look like you have much clearance left. Don't over do it, you need space for a rainy day and mud.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
Beasho, I'd like to see the construction of your side rack that can carry a SUP.  Looks like it was made from PVC pipe.  Tell me about how you did it.

Basic setup I discussed here.  I am a few generations passed this version but still the same fundamental design.  I have swapped out the Plastic PVC T's for Copper and am currently using 1.25" PVC.  The rack is strong enough to carry people.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,13907.msg121927.html#msg121927

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal