Author Topic: Cheap Electric fatbike  (Read 95690 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Electric fatbike
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »
A 30T front chainring is pretty small. I would think a 36 or 38 would be mo' bettah. Tough to get a good chainline with a 10speed rear and a single front ring. You can't really expect it for the largest two rear sprockets. I don't know how the chainring/crank/motor setup all works, because I've never looked at one up close. But, there are options for realigning a front chainring, in some cases, depending on which side of the crank star (the chainring carrier) you mount it and by using washer shims. But, like I said, I don't really know how everything is configured with the added electric motor on the crank.

The bike looks and sounds like a blast. I used to pedal that loop - up sevenmile, down into the dalles and around on Hwy 30, over Rowena Crest, back to HR on the Twin Tunnels road. Surprisingly, that loop is only 46 miles and a little over 4000' of climbing. So, you should definitely go for it. Be careful on the 7 mile descent into TD. At the bottom of the upper section, when you pass by the ranch houses, there are some friggin chase dogs that are sometime loose. It's been a problem for years. There is a sharp left hander, as you're headed for TD, and the houses are in a little grove just after the turn. Fun on a motorcycle, fun on a bike, the e bike will be too. Don't kill yourself. Have fun. Miss the riding there, it's superb.

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2016, 02:01:44 PM »

I have no idea what the battery capacity meter really means. Could be about anything.

This may help (see pics). My buddy did a lot of research on LiPo's and apparently to help preserve them you have to be careful how much you let them deplete, i.e. never fully deplete them and 2) Never fully charge them for extended periods.  He made up these charts for our use.  The color computer that Beasho bought has volts as an option read out.  Sometimes we let friends use the bikes and we ask they keep them within these parameters.

HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2016, 02:13:39 PM »
Nice chart. I don't know what the funky little battery meter on the control panel indicates, but i'm going to add a wattmeter to this bike.

I like big batteries. Here's one of the two LiFe batteries on my three wheeler. I need to find the cells that have gone resistive. This folds in half and gets taped all to heck like the one that's still in the bike. 16s18p 52V 30AH (1560 watthours) with both of them in I've done a century ride that started with climbing to government camp on Mt. Hood.

this is the battery I'm building for my fatbike.
No idea of what the capacity will be.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »
Nice chart. I don't know what the funky little battery meter on the control panel indicates, but i'm going to add a wattmeter to this bike.

I like big batteries. Here's one of the two LiFe batteries on my three wheeler. I need to find the cells that have gone resistive. This folds in half and gets taped all to heck like the one that's still in the bike. 16s18p 52V 30AH (1560 watthours) with both of them in I've done a century ride that started with climbing to government camp on Mt. Hood.

this is the battery I'm building for my fatbike.
No idea of what the capacity will be.

Wow - very impressive - sorry but that scares me sitting between my legs...just saying....im sure your better at soldering than the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 workers
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »
At the bottom of the upper section, when you pass by the ranch houses, there are some friggin chase dogs that are sometime loose. It's been a problem for years. There is a sharp left hander, as you're headed for TD, and the houses are in a little grove just after the turn. Fun on a motorcycle, fun on a bike, the e bike will be too. Don't kill yourself. Have fun. Miss the riding there, it's superb.

I know the spot well, been there a bunch of times on my trike. The dogs chase that but they don't know what to bite. I ran over one when he tried to dart in for a nip.  Didn't hurt him, but he quit chasing me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »
Wow - very impressive - sorry but that scares me sitting between my legs...just saying....im sure your better at soldering than the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 workers

Not really. It's welded with a spot welder but the reason it isn't installed is that some of the connections are funky. It's a little sketch, which is why it's outside the shop.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2016, 06:37:29 PM »
Went back and got my truck. I did a little charge on the turnaround, but only about two hours. My weenie little 3 amp charger (150 watts) takes at least 8 hours for a full charge. Did the shortest route to the Diesel service place--27 miles, 68 miles total today. Barely made it. the charge indicator started flashing and dropping power.  Given the elevation changes and my priority for speed vs. battery conservation (I got to the place with 28 minutes to spare) I'd say it did pretty well.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »
Pono, don't forget about building one with me this winter in Maui. Cheap = Good for me. First of all, I totally don't need one, I don't have room for one, and it's better for me to pedal than coast. That doesn't mean I don't WANT one. Just sayin'
I appreciate you're going to have an electric bike for me to ride when my divorce is final and I'm living in your garage. I'm sure it will be nice and quiet so I won't wake up Marcia when I come stumbling back in the middle of the night.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »

I appreciate you're going to have an electric bike for me to ride when my divorce is final and I'm living in your garage. I'm sure it will be nice and quiet so I won't wake up Marcia when I come stumbling back in the middle of the night.

Send standby tickets for Marcia, that'll buy her off. We could use the income from renting out the garage but you'd be smarter to get yourself stationed at Ponohouse. Once you're in there, it's almost impossible to get rid of you and PB really has no idea what he's dealing with when it comes to JP4. Bring lots of mosquito repelente because you going need it. Da buggahs are choke ovah hea

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2016, 11:13:37 AM »
Rental income? That's not really the program I had in mind bro.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2016, 03:36:48 PM »
I am already helping support one adult child. Can't take on any more.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2016, 08:34:10 PM »
Are you ladies done?

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »
 ;D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2016, 06:58:19 PM »
The "Not so Cheap Electric fatbike" platform arrived yesterday.

Took about 45 minutes to put together.  $1,000 from BikeDirect shipped. 

I opted for the BLUTO front fork.  My current eBike, iZip Zuma, gets me to 20 mph.  At that speed any divot in the road, bump or pothole is especially painful without a good front fork.  I had to swap out the original crappy Zoom fork because it kept bottoming out for a RockShock. 

This Motobecane model was the cheapest with a good front fork and I was worried the Mongoose might not upgrade easily.  Add the fact that my current eBike has 5,300 miles and I decided to up the ante since this will be my primary surf vehicle.  I have used a car fewer than 10 times in the past 6 years to go surfing so this new beast will be my workhorse.   

Bottom bracket measured 99.5 mm.  Ideally no surprises with the 100mm BBSHD sitting in the box.  The build will continue this weekend. 

I am excited to see how this works in the sand.  I took it for a peddle and it was fantastic in everything but the softest sand which required a lot of work.  1,500 Watts of power should fix this problem  8)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:18:10 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2016, 08:33:22 PM »
Nice looking ride. Bottom Bracket should be perfect, though you could potentially run into a little trouble with the chainring clearing the bend in the chainstay. Probably not, but watch for the chainring rubbing it. That can be fixed by shimming the chainring off the drive with washers or using a different sprocket. But you'll probably be fine. You'll need a tool to pull off the cranks--they are probably standard tapered square--and you might need a tool to pull the bottom bracket cassette. Depends on what they used for it. You'll figure it out. Easy stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal