Author Topic: Starboard Hyper Nut Surf SUP Review  (Read 13979 times)

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Hyper Nut Surf SUP Review
« on: January 09, 2016, 12:05:20 PM »
I’m 6’2” 210lb, I got the 8’0” Hyper Nut a couple weeks ago. It came with quad fins and the longer ones, M.7 go in the front.

First off the simple pleasures of handling a light, short board both on and off the water cannot be overstated. Getting in the water and the timed grab/lift as you get out to avoid the shore pound and then carrying it, even after a long session, is not tiring. Handling is great. It fits perfect in the Prolight 8’0” bag and I like the paddle pocket. In the water, popping over white water and in general getting spun in the rinse cycle is just plain easy compared to my 9’ hero. I have not taken it on airplane travel yet, but can tell it will be oh so much nicer.

No getting around it, it paddles slower, so heading out will take longer to get to the break, longer to get back at the end of a session and a bit longer after a long ride.

On the wave, wow, wow, wow, that’s a triple wow! This board is way better than I am, but I have already started progressing. Late, steep drops that I never would have even tried before are super fun. The board is loose, fast easy turns, amazing and great feel, basically blows away my bigger board, but I have a lot to learn about foot placement, getting the back foot on stomp pad. As it is my first short surf SUP I cannot compare it to any other similar size board.

While I have tons of fun, I am a bigger, not super coordinated guy, who has struggled to learn surf sup over the past 2 seasons (I didn’t get out much). I am in the learning to read the wave/set-up and catch it phase with not much time yet to actually progress on top to bottom surfing. So how has the Hyper Nut been for me? Good call for sure! The volume floats me no problem, but I have had to step-up my balance/foot position game, paddle differently and learn a new way to catch the wave. It’s only been a couple weeks, but I have had some on the best and worst sessions ever. I read as much of the short surf sup advise as I could find (thanks to those who took the time to post!), which is all spot on, but takes a while to figure out as a lot is going on. The main thing is paddling, way shorter paddle and short directed strokes so I don’t throw myself off balance. Knowing that I cannot gain tons of speed with long hard strokes going out or catching a wave is key. The other critical areas, stance, foot position, leaning forward, then backward, bracing, being in position, getting stronger, staying relaxed are coming along and coming together more and more often.

I don’t think that demo-ing would have helped me much as I really needed 6-8 sessions to start to get it. If I only SUP’ed every 4-6 weeks like the last few seasons this would not be the board for me. The board is plenty stable for me, surfs waaaaaaay better than my 9’ and has forced me to refine my on water skills, a good choice. It has increased my fun factor by an order of magnitude! The only negatives are that I wish it had more glide and it is pricey.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Starboard Hyper Nut Surf SUP Review
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 06:28:08 AM »
Excellent review, Paddle On! I was curious as to the vol of ur new ride. 133ltrs explains why this board is a go for u. My Gulliver V-Box is 8'1" x 27-1/2" and 116ltrs and pretty much the limit for me performance wise. It's pretty narrow for my old self and after a coupla hrs on it I'm ready for my step up board which is 128ltrs. Hope you can get a shot of yourself riding in some decent conditions! I think I would prefer the Hyper in wood construction. Looks like a Sunova a little. Bottom contour/shoe looks really nice on the Hyper.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:35:49 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »
if the current and wind conditions are calm it takes very little effort to stay up right. when the wind, reflections and rips are present it takes more effort, but definitely doable as long as i dont mind falling a bit. each time i am learning and improving, the question becomes am i using all my energy learning balance vs catching surfing?
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

Shem

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Garden Carpentry UK
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:05:40 AM »
Great review thanks. Im still trying to decide on  Hyper Nut or not as I want a board for fast down the line reef surfing, but also something for fatter smaller waves. I probably just have to have 2 boards!

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 06:57:53 PM »
Great review.  Im bouncing back and forth between the 7'4 and 7'8.

I ride the Pocket Rocket as my everyday board.  Floats me fine except in full winter gear and chop where its a bit of a pain (5'10 210lbs)

really trying to find a demo anywhere n the east coast.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
Cool! They sure have an odd outline but I've been hearing good things about those boards.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Shem

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Garden Carpentry UK
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:44:49 AM »
I got to demo the 7'4" Hyper nut yesterday, Im 90KG - 14 stone and was amazed at how good it was and stable. Id assumed Id need the 7'8 or maybe the 8 foot to be safe, but the 7'4 was perfect. heres my full review

https://kswboardriders.wordpress.com/2016/01/20/starboard-hyper-nut-and-nut-review/?preview=true&preview_id=493&preview_nonce=e3172934c6&iframe=true

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 08:37:31 PM »
Good review, Shem. Thanks for posting the link.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Shem

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Garden Carpentry UK
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 07:33:51 AM »
CHEERS :D Havnt splashed out yet, but it will be a wood construction 7'4" in the next few weeks

Acrane7

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »
If looking for a demo Starboard to try, check out the Starboard Test Center -> http://star-board-sup.com/2016/test-center/

Still a work in progress but more dealers are being added. Plenty of demo Hyper Nuts are showing up around Florida.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 12:44:47 PM »
thanks acrane- great info.  if one makes it way anywhere from VA to ME i can mix a biz trip in to try it out

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 05:47:46 PM »
Here is a pic of my friend on the 6'10x26.5 carbon.  I can't wait for the "OK to go back surfing" from the doctor and to ride it.  He's about 170 lbs.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:49:35 PM by RATbeachrider »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal