Author Topic: Most Fun in a Yakima Rooftop Box: Inflatable SUP and the New Arrows iRig  (Read 7251 times)

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
For the last several years, I have had the opportunity to travel away from my mountainous, landlocked town and enjoy several weeks of water play in varied environments -- from cliff-sided lakes, to salt marshes, to sandy shorebreak, to rocky coastline. It's a long rambling trip, with limited cargo space for toys. On these trips I hope to surf, paddle, wakeboard, sail, kite, whatever -- all, please, and more.

With the launch of the new Arrows iRig inflatable windsurf mast, boom and sail, I think my kit just got significantly smaller, lighter and more usable. I had been researching more traditional windsurf that break down into small packages and/or small LEI kites when I stumbled across the iRig (http://www.xssailing.com/category/arrows-irig-one/). What do you all think? Will it work well enough?

I'm not expecting blistering speed or radical maneuvers. I just want to give myself the chance to play on the water in the greatest number of ways in the shortest amount of time with the least amount of paraphernalia. With an inflatable SUP with the M8 universal mast base, the rig could be strapped to the deck, allowing you to paddle where you want until the wind picks up, then inflate the sail (on the water even) and cruise home. Or do it in reverse!

Please share your reactions, bearing in mind I'm fully embracing compromise in my gear setup. Someday, I'd love to have the right equipment at the right time and place to optimize my skill and the conditions. But realistically, that's a long way off. Today, I just want to play and never be left on the shoreline thinking "if I only had a sail," or, if I only had a surfboard."

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Most Fun in a Yakima Rooftop Box: Inflatable SUP and the New Arrows iRig
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 08:55:18 AM »
I haven't used one long term just a demo and they do "WORK" not exactly and "Upwind machine" but it will get you home

We have these in stock

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:55:57 AM »
Hey I may be wrong, and I am totally judging by looks, but sure strikes me as a “family” beach toy. I don’t even bother with a real rig on my SUP - I’d SUP until it’s windy enough and then kite.

IMO forget the windsurfing part if traveling light is part of your agenda. Windsurfing, while less than a full-on sailboat, is a hell of a lot of gear. Full stop. Takes by far the most space for the least amont of use of stuff in my garage.

A light 10m kite, TT kiteboard, surfboard you can paddle/prone/kite (if strapping to your Yakima box is allowed),  14’ downwind-able  iSUP (there is a thread on that subject) and a 3 piece paddle would be my light travel quiver.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:06:12 AM by yugi »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:08:29 AM »

May I ask what iSup you'll be using?

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:46:45 AM »

May I ask what iSup you'll be using?

I'm still deciding, dependent a bit on whether or not I want to invest in a windsurf rig (either inflatable or more traditional). My first choice in an inflatable SUP for the majority of uses I'll put it through would be an Uli 10' Lopez. I also like the Red Paddle Co. 9'8 Ride or 9'2 Surf Star, and have become increasingly interested in the Fanatic 8'6 Stubby of 9'6 Fly Premium Air. Of those boards, only the Fanatics have windsurf attachment points built in.

Eric

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
It is bigger than the boards you mention of course but new for this year is the popular 10'6" x 32" Ride with windsurf attachment by Red Paddle Co.

http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-10-6-ride-windsurf

In stock towards the end of this month.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

ericjayowsley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
It is bigger than the boards you mention of course but new for this year is the popular 10'6" x 32" Ride with windsurf attachment by Red Paddle Co.

http://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-10-6-ride-windsurf

In stock towards the end of this month.

I've looked at the bigger Red Paddle Co 10'6 Ride. Looks like a great board, but of the qualities I want to preference in my next purchase, wave surfing is tops. I want something a little thinner with a bit more rocker.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 12:50:28 PM »
Any chance you're related to the late great Stanley Owsley?
It takes a quiver to do that.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 06:36:10 PM »
orange is young, full of daring, but very unsteady for the first go 'round.....

country garden in the wind and the rain, wherever he goes the people all complain.....
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Hi
Anyone had any experience with the irig? I used to windsurf 20 years ago but never in waves. There is this mini mast track on my boards and was imagining trying this in light winds less than 15 knots in small waves. Likely much less carnage in the shore break with this inflatable setup but would it be feasible and fun or a just frustration?

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I'd get a light standard rig--severne makes one for SUP, or just go on Craigslist and buy stuff for cheap. I favor the Superfreak sails for SUP sailing.

I have no experience with the iRig, but it looks clumsy. Sails are so good these days and rigs are cheap on CL.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

fredi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 01:46:30 PM »
Hi
Anyone had any experience with the irig? I used to windsurf 20 years ago but never in waves. There is this mini mast track on my boards and was imagining trying this in light winds less than 15 knots in small waves. Likely much less carnage in the shore break with this inflatable setup but would it be feasible and fun or a just frustration?

Bob
I bought one (for $200, so not so cheap). It's for learning windsurfing to family and friends on my iSUP. For this purpose it's great, because much easier than a regular sail: the edge of the sail never goes under the water, and it's light so very easy to pull out of the water. The one I bought goes with a mast connector that can be strapped around any board.
I've used it as well for an experience on whitewater, very fun.
For waves, issue will be lack of power: cannot go against a breaking wave (with a windsurf if you are well powered you can), and may lack speed for takeoff. I would only try on side-shore conditions.
Get the biggest one if you can (size L).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal