Author Topic: Leash-less Surfing  (Read 7478 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash-less Surfing
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »

Any leash can fail.  The pictured leash was a big wave leash maybe 2 months old. Took this waist leash out this morning in powerful Calif surf.  An hour into my surf session I got caught inside and "Booyyying"  broken leash.  The waist leashes are great!  It was the leash rope that broke.  I only use the waist leashes on my sups now.  After over 4 years of using the waist leashes I'll never go back to ankle or calf leashes. 

A fellow surfer on the beach rescued my board as I was surfing a very rocky spot.  I only had small scratches on the Foote and it could have been horrible.  I thanked him profusely for rescuing my board.  He said "No problem…it's the fellow surfers code of ethics."  I'm glad this didn't happen at Launada Bay ;) 

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 02:20:02 PM »
Yeah but what happens in 2x OH waves? I often end up somersaulting around in the white water when caught inside and more than once my ankle leash has gotten wrapped around my leg (or both legs) and then yanked tight. A tail leash looks a little too close to my neck for my comfort level, at least for use in large waves.

Quick release systems and rescue knives are the way forward.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 03:30:50 PM »
It looks like you have something sticking out… ?
(just kidding: go with it!)

In fact, why not simplify it and got with a scuba diving weight belt (huh… without the weights).
It offers super fast and simple release.

That's  what  I  do  and  it  works  great . I  use  to  only  use  it  when  the  kelp  was  a problem ,  but  now  I'm  using  it  more  often .  Proners think  I  look  kooky  anyway  so  I  don't  think  a  waste  leash  is  any  worst .

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 08:06:03 PM »
Yeah but what happens in 2x OH waves? I often end up somersaulting around in the white water when caught inside and more than once my ankle leash has gotten wrapped around my leg (or both legs) and then yanked tight. A tail leash looks a little too close to my neck for my comfort level, at least for use in large waves.

I hear the same thing about tail handles. The fins are going to stab you, blah, blah.  The first time you try either a waist leash or a tail handle--and I mean the very fu&^king FIRST time. you say "Oh, that is so much better." The bigger the wave, the more true that is.

I have a 9mm 10' leash on my waist leash and today getting worked in what had to be 15' Kanaha  my board looked like it was at least 50 feet away. I mean it was a fricken' dot on the horizon.  My leash was a tight as a guitar string.  And I was up top, breathing air, wondering why my board was so far away.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:13:31 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 08:25:28 PM »

I hear the same thing about tail handles. the first time you try either a waist leash or a tail handle--and I mean the very fu&^king FIRST time. you say "Oh, that is so much better." The bigger the wave, the more true that is.

I have a 9mm 10' leash on my waist leash and today getting worked in what had to be 15' Kanaha  my board looked like it was at least 50 feet away. I mean it was a fricken' dot on the horizon.  My leash was a tight as a guitar string.  And I was up top, breathing air, wondering why my board was so far away.

Can't wait to get set up with a waist leash.  Makes sense based on what I've read and heard from guys far better than me, who surf in waves bigger than I surf.

My view is that if the experienced, smart guys in Hawaii like PB recommend something, it's probably worth the money and time to do it.  I fully bought into the tail handle thing too and that has gotten me lots of extra waves (by being able to maintain board control when caught inside, then get back out quickly) while the "purists" burn excessive time scrambling to recover their boards in the impact zone.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 09:25:14 PM »
This thread has a misleading subject - leash-less surfing is not being tethered to your board in any way. It is pure freedom but you need time away from crowds to get it dialed.  It will make you a better wave-rider and swimmer too! Leashes ruined surfing.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 10:09:22 PM »
Yes, that's true Chris, except when you're surfing on a reef a half mile from the beach. then the swim in takes all morning and by the time you get back to the lineup the wind is up.

Seriously though, if you're gonna have a leash, this is the way to go. try it, you'll wonder why we ever did it any other way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 03:32:11 AM »
Is it really necessary to have a purposely designed waist leash?

Are there any drawbacks to attaching my ankle leash to a dive belt or something similar as long as it holds?
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 03:40:40 AM »
The only thing I can see as a con on using a dive belt is the quick release.  If that accidentally gets hit/pulled/yanked, the whole things goes bye bye if it is under pressure at that instant.  With the two waist leashes that I have, all the velcro over a longer distance holds very very good.  I can remove it if needed when needed.

So far I have not needed it yet.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 06:44:37 AM »
and the ankle piece absorbs water and weighs, bobs around above your ass like a heavy geisha bow--purpose built is much better.

funny, pb, i have gone the other way with the tail handle. i find if i cant pop the board over the white water, as i duck it, i prefer to let go of the board and dive deep. i use an 8 foot leash so retrieval is quick. when i engage the handle (even if i push down as i get hit) i find that the board and I end up way closer to shore, than had i let go of the board and ducked. if my board risks hitting someone if let go ( avery rare situation easily avoided in advance) i will use the handle in that case.

with the waist leash, also, i find i dont get dragged as far by the board after letting go--vs the drag-in of an ankle leash

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 10:04:58 AM »
and the ankle piece absorbs water and weighs, bobs around above your ass like a heavy geisha bow--purpose built is much better.

I use a velcro belt with a metal loop (SuPosition Ralph's) for a regular leash. I wear mine in front and prefer to think of it as a codpiece.  I would rather be dragged forward than backward.

It also gives two release options:  the belt and the standard leash itself in easy reach. Double leashing is an option.

I suppose you could just use a standard waist belt and attach the regular leash to that, too.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 10:34:08 AM »
My first waist belt was modified from a workout belt--no idea what exercise it was supposed to enable but it had velcro closure and a loop in back for attaching to a universal gym. I took the ankle cuff off a leash and replaced it with another railsaver, so there were railsavers on both ends. Works fine.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 10:50:05 AM »
PB the rail  saver  is  a good  idea

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 11:01:08 AM »
My first waist belt was modified from a workout belt--no idea what exercise it was supposed to enable but it had velcro closure and a loop in back for attaching to a universal gym. I took the ankle cuff off a leash and replaced it with another railsaver, so there were railsavers on both ends. Works fine.

I don't know but it kind of looked like the belt from one of those vibrating machines that is supposed to jiggle fat off your middle. But, I can't really tell.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »

never heard of that. Mine does not feel like that at all

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal