Author Topic: Three-piece paddle thoughts?  (Read 9418 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Three-piece paddle thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »
Actually my suggestion would be make an alternative handle--with a smaller, more traditional grip--and make that one adjustable.  I find the grip you designed to be more comfortable than I thought it would be. It made my fingers numb the first time I tried it, but I quickly learned to hold it very loosely, and then it's excellent. But it's clumsy on transitions. I think anyone with canoe paddling experience will not like it. A lot of canoe paddlers making a fast swap, push the shaft into the web between thumb and forefinger of their new upper hand, and slide their hand up, catching the grip with their thmb and rolling the hand into place. You handle doesn't work well for that fast, positive change.

The blade is great, nice and smooth on the catch, but positive. It works best for me with a lot of forward lean. Kind of falling on the blade. It doesn't have the fierce correction Konihis have, but it doesn't wobble unless you get it angled a bit. I like the shaft stiffness, and the egg shape. the little grip things take a while to get used to, but at least my hand never slipped.

Fine paddle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 09:19:38 AM »
Thank you for the feedback Bill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTUsA7TrIf0
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
Three-piece paddle thoughts?
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 05:00:10 PM »
That Trifecta is way too expensive for me!!

If you're looking at the $300 price range there's also the new hexagonal-joint BlackProject 3pc Carbon Travel Paddle. Just received mine and its lighter than QB 3pc AC90 Kanaha.
BP 3pc Adjustable 615 gm with Carbon12
QB 3pc AC90 Kanaha Adjustable (Carbon3?)

Twitter @SUPmission
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:04:21 PM by SG50SUP »
SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 05:02:11 PM »

That Trifecta is way too expensive for me!!

If you're looking at the $300 price range there's also the new hexagonal-joint BlackProject 3pc Carbon Travel Paddle. Just received mine and its lighter than QB 3pc AC90 Kanaha.
BP 3pc Adjustable 615 gm
QB 3pc AC90 Kanaha

Have you had a chance to give the BlackProject a good paddle?

Twitter @SUPmission

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »
i really like the 2-piece werner nitro med, 1 for travel and 2 that i can adjust the height on the fly. it is so much easier to just click it for longer standing straight up or click it for shorter surf stance as well as figuring out what is the best size by cutter shorter till it feels good.

all that said, the multiple piece does take on some water so i do take it apart after each session which is pretty simple to do.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 05:29:53 PM »

Have you had a chance to give the BlackProject a good paddle?
Only had 1.5 hr of paddling yesterday in 5°C weather here. Off the bat, despite the skinny T handle, BP paddle feels sturdier at the blade joint. The hexagonal coupling is their solution to reduce the wobble normally found on most travel paddles. (I'm tempted to hot-glue these joints sometimes!) The carbon12 bumpy shaft finish feels better to the hand too compared to QB gloss finish. Will have to have more time with it. So far so good.

Twitter @SUPmission

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 11:42:40 AM »
Okay, I'm definitely going to get a Werner Trance 85.  The 2-piece adjustable weighs 19.25 ounces, and the 3-piece adjustable weighs 21.5 ounces.  I'd like to get the 3-piece because the 2-piece is actually pretty long, even for putting in the car.  However, I'm wondering how much difference 2.25 ounces will make for flatwater paddling.  What do you folks think?

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »
Okay, I'm definitely going to get a Werner Trance 85.  The 2-piece adjustable weighs 19.25 ounces, and the 3-piece adjustable weighs 21.5 ounces.  I'd like to get the 3-piece because the 2-piece is actually pretty long, even for putting in the car.  However, I'm wondering how much difference 2.25 ounces will make for flatwater paddling.  What do you folks think?

I don't know the actual weights off the top of my head, but my main paddle last year was the three piece Nitro (the predecessor to the Trance) with the medium blade. I quite liked the paddle, but decided early this year to get the one piece Trance 85. I haven't used the new paddle a lot, as I haven't been able to paddle a lot in the new year. But the few times I have used it, the weight difference is quite noticeable. 
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »

I don't know the actual weights off the top of my head, but my main paddle last year was the three piece Nitro (the predecessor to the Trance) with the medium blade. I quite liked the paddle, but decided early this year to get the one piece Trance 85. I haven't used the new paddle a lot, as I haven't been able to paddle a lot in the new year. But the few times I have used it, the weight difference is quite noticeable.
From a 3-piece to a 1-piece would be a pretty significant weight drop.  I can't go with a 1-piece because I like to change the length.  The 2-piece adjustable Nitro S that I had felt really light to me; I just don't know if 2.25 ounces makes that big a difference.  I could get a 2-piece Trance, but it sure is long.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 05:37:17 PM »
I like my Kialoa Insanity adjustable 3-piece.  I wouldn't race with it, but it's flown to Hawaii with me twice for surfing my iSUP. Total length broken down is around 40".  Their integrated cam-lock in the palm grip is pretty slick, doesn't rattle & doesn't budge once clamped down.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 07:01:33 PM »
I like my Kialoa Insanity adjustable 3-piece.  I wouldn't race with it, but it's flown to Hawaii with me twice for surfing my iSUP. Total length broken down is around 40".  Their integrated cam-lock in the palm grip is pretty slick, doesn't rattle & doesn't budge once clamped down.
I'll check that one out, too!

SternaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 12:16:58 PM »
We've got two of the older Werner 3 piece travel paddles. Dian has the Nitro (735g) and I've got the Fuse (765g). Best feature is that they can be jammed into the duffles with the Uli's for travel.  We like them just fine for flatwater.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »
We've got two of the older Werner 3 piece travel paddles. Dian has the Nitro (735g) and I've got the Fuse (765g). Best feature is that they can be jammed into the duffles with the Uli's for travel.  We like them just fine for flatwater.
Sounds good.  I think I'll go with the 3-piece, though I like the slight weight advantage of a 2-piece.

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »
Just received from Chris of BlackProjectFins their latest fixed-length 3pc carbon paddle. There's nothing like it in the market. This design was based on the 3 pc adjustable carbon travel paddle. But since adjustable also means unnecessary weight to the extendable top shaft, he's agreed to build this fixed length design. Definitely the lightest and strongest travel paddle right now with zero wobble on the joints due to the hexagonal joints. The joints are seamless. And when assembled skipping the middle shaft, it makes a perfect length for outrigger use.

Twitter @SUPmission

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal