Author Topic: 11-CITY TOUR - Race Average Speed  (Read 1943 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
11-CITY TOUR - Race Average Speed
« on: December 24, 2015, 03:41:09 AM »
The 11-City Tour is probably an amazing race, and still most likely the longest race in the world for SUP that I know of.

For those interested, here’s the official website:
http://sup11citytour.com

It takes place every year in Holland, during the month of September, with 100’s of paddlers covering “220 km”.

For those who have looked at same of the details of the race, you are probably a little scared by the distance... while serious athletes may just be intimidated by the average speed on this race. After all, if you do the math, the top contenders are averaging more than 10.3 km/h.

Well, I have some good news for you:
I plan on racing in Sep 2016, and when taking a closer look at details, rules, requirements, entry fees, lodging, and NUMBERS that were communicated, I find it fantastic and fabulous. Unfortunately, I have also found a number of discrepancies. I tried contacting the race organizers, but I am afraid that the language barrier was a bit much. I then tried to inquire with couple of racers who attended the race, but I have yet to receive a response.

Bottom line: I started digging deeper – and found some promising good news. 

Remember though, when it’s all said and done, you can always enter the race without racing (see the website, because it’s actually 3 events in 1).

THE MARKETING
This is what you will find on their website, videos, and blogs.
Communicated Distance: 220 km
Communicated Total Time: 21h21*
Illusion (Dream) Average Speed: 10.3 km/h

RECTIFICATION #1
If you go to their website and add up each of the 5 stages, you too will come up with 200 km for the total distance.

RECTIFIED Distance: 200 km
Communicated Total Time: 21h21*
RECTIFIED Speed: 9.37 km/h
Note: the new average speed of 9.37 km/h seems a lot more reasonable. It still seemed a little high, but we are talking about world-class athletes. Nonetheless, I kept digging...

RECTIFICATION #2
Since I took the time to verify the communicated total distance for the race, I felt a little obligated to satisfy my curiosity and double check a few more things. I took a closer look at the times that were communicated on their website. I merely added up each of the 5 stages time of the first place finisher’s time during his 5 days of racing. What I came up with was quite surprising – but it’s making a lot more sense.

RECTIFIED Distance: 200 km
RECTIFIED Total Time: 22h58
RECTIFIED Speed: 8.86 km/h

So basically, that’s how we can go from a scary 10.3 km/h average speed to a much more realist average speed of 8.9 km/h.

RECTIFICATION #3?
I will not at all be surprised if the ACTUAL total distance ends up being something closer to 180km.

I have so many questions...
Under the circumstances, I am a little unsure if this is really a race I’d like to dedicate 6 months of serious training for...
How did they come up with 220 km?
Why are the times not added up correctly?
Most time-keeper programs add everything automatically, so how did they let this happen?

Keep in mind that they would have said 110 km Race, and I would have asked WHERE & WHEN !?

note:
* Based on the official document located here:
http://sup11citytour.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/SUP-11-City-Tour-2015-End-Results-Preliminary2.pdf
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal