Author Topic: Angulo  (Read 4792 times)

gary w

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Angulo
« on: September 13, 2007, 01:59:12 PM »
Recently changed from a 10', 27" urethane/polyester board to an Angulo 10'8.(Legends Surfboards, Carlsbad - Jeff and Kurt)  This board paddles like a dream - no more fighting the cross chop. It also surfs nicely, once you get used to how light it is. The tucked in tail makes for easy turns.

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Angulo
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 05:26:07 PM »
Congrats. I've ridden that board and it's really nice. Bulett proof construction.

Ricky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 06:09:33 PM »
Got my 10'8" Angulo "Beachboy" at Tropical Blends in Honolulu.  Great board; stable, maneuverable, light, it surfs better than I do.  My Coach Gary W provides a rigorous training regime and excellent surfing tips.  Mahalo Coach!  Having fun.  Yakima Ricky

Knash

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 05:54:51 PM »
 Paddled with Gary today at the 1st annual Watermans paddle at la Jolla Shores.Every body had a great time and left STOKED!About 30 SUP boards all out at one time was cool to see ,and be part of the event.Nice to see how much variety there is in the boards and paddles that are available now.Thank you Mike for all the effort to organise the event.

We have been impressed with the design and durability of  the 3 Angulo /Tropical blend models  . If you are looking for stability and a board that will get you well into the intermediate levels of Sup, this line is a winner. We had used them for beginner/demo boards and have not noticed any chipping or dings with all the falling and paddle bangings I was suprised.We continue to hear positve feedback.The Santa Cruz,Santa Barbara/ Ranch Sup fleets have been seeing the same results.

Woodrow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 02:46:55 PM »
I've been lurking in the shadows as a guest for some months...thought I'd better register and try to contribute. The comments here have been a great help.

Plug for the Angulos and Tropical Blends. I picked up the 11' 9" Nui about 2 months ago. Bottomline, it's a great board! Very stable, paddles well, catches waves easy, surfs great. If you're looking for a board to jump right on and catch waves, then this is the board for you. The board is built well w/ a very cool Maori inspired design on the bottom and if you live on Oahu go down and visit Jim at Tropical Blends. Jim's a good guy and he runs a very cool shop on Queen St. I surf w/ a bunch of guys from work and four of us now own Angulos.

I'm 6' 205 LBS and have surfed longboards for a bunch of years. If you're a decent surfer you won't be disapointed by the Angulos, they perform well and if you're just getting into surfing and SUPing the board is stable and forgiving. We've been out in overhead surf (Oahu, South shore) and it handles great. I'd feel very comfortable using it in bigger surf...
Well, 'nough rambling for now. Again, thanks for all the great advice.
Aloha
Woodrow

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 10:20:53 PM »
I had a chance to demo 2 Angulo/Tropical Blends boards today, in flat water and choppy conditions.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to surf either one today.

Beachboy 10'-8" x 30.5"  -  I found this board to be much more stable and well mannered than I anticipated.  It had pretty decent glide for it's size on the flatwater conditions inside the harbor.  Outside the harbor, it was blowing 15 knots and very choppy.  The board moved pretty well considering the conditions, although it felt somewhat unstable if I stopped paddling.  Digging into the chop, it would shudder a bit as it pushed through. With the wind and chop at my back, it was a lot of fun, and it accelerated quickly.

Nui 11'-9" x 31  - This board had great glide and was effortless to paddle.  My wife had never been on an SUP before, and she hopped on it and took off immediately.  Despite it's size, it turned nicely and was very smooth in the chop.  I had a chance to surf this same model board in small waves many weeks ago, and once if I got the tail turns wired, it was a blast.  This particular board was set up with a 10" Wingnut cutaway, which seems like a good balance of tracking, stability and good manners in the waves.

Both boards seemed well made, and are incredibly light for their size.  The Nui had a very nice color graphic on the bottom, giving a bit of a custom board look from a distance.  Thanks to the folks at Kayak Connection in Santa Cruz, CA for providing my wife and I with a chance to demo these boards.  Nice folks there, stop in and see them!

Here's a link to the Tropical Blends website:  http://www.tropicalblendssurf.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal