Author Topic: iSUP - Starboard Racer Deluxe 14'x28"  (Read 10133 times)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: iSUP - Starboard Racer Deluxe 14'x28"
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »
I agree about the board flex you can see in the pics... Let's see it with more air in it!  (You beat me to it Levity).  Any time I've paddled an iSup that is even a touch under inflated I felt like I was on an air matress... Ugh.  I'm also wondering if photofr's use of a short paddle accentuates the tacoing by virtue of the compression created as he flexes down. ...  (Ouch says my back)

It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
Have you tried pumping it to higher pressures, >15psi?  I find that this makes a big difference in iSUP board flex.
A 150mm thick board at >20psi should be pretty stiff with the right fabric and construction.
Even at 150mm and 25psi inflatables will still wallow and taco when downwinding, with current technology. There are just such large pressures at work and they are acting on the ends of the boards.

Ideally we'd have iSUPs pumped up to 60psi, but then if one popped it might prove highly injurious, as anyone who has seen a car tyre explode will know. A better solution might be to have a rigid multi-part central "stringer", perhaps augmented by other battens across the board. Maybe clever use of multiple chambers might help too. I have no idea. It would be an interesting engineering project. Some of the problem might be that iSUPs are always designed to be rolled from one end to the other. If instead one had a "folding inflatable board", where the fold was along the midline and at a limited number of spots across the rail then you could probably make each rail section a lot more rigid and reinforce the folds somehow with eg. battens. The board would then look more like a small suitcase when folded away, rather than a rucksack. I guess it would be a concept more like the pendleboard, but fully inflatable. Anyway, these ideas probably woułdnt work for some reason, but iSUPs will never get close to rigid boards in performance until the stiffness is in the same ball park, which it currently isn't.

However, I like what Starboard have done with the nose here, and the rear water deflector thingy to encourage water release (presumably) is an interesting proposition. Each year the technology gets a bit better. Maybe in 10 years' time someone will have invented a way to keep these boards super-rigid, and then 8/10 new downwind boards and 9/10 new flat water boards will be inflatables.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 09:51:45 PM »
To be fair, the reviewed board was totally designed for speed on flat water. In that respect, flex isn't really an issue. It isn't designed for DW, but I was happy to take the board outside of its element and comfort zone.

Without a doubt, I could be using a paddle about 4 to 7 cm longer - so that didn't help at all when bouncing on the board while trying to catch "one more link".

On a different subject, I have done plenty of downwind over the years, but this was my first time taking an inflatable board DW. 18 months ago, I would have never imagined taking an iSUP in such conditions. I hope a DW iSUP model will be in the works, but you got to admit: it's pretty cool to see how versatile boards can be. In the end, there's no denying that I was gliding on waves with … an inflatable.  :o

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 06:02:28 PM »
Has anyone compared this new Starboard Racer to the 2016 Red Paddle 14 Elite?  It would be interesting to see how they compare.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 01:51:33 AM »
I haven't compared the Starboard 14x28 and the Red Paddle 14x26, so I am afraid I won't be much help. My best guess is that they will both have some clear advantages.

Red Paddle Co:
More rocker: the board may be easier to use downwind or down breeze. It may end up being more fun for those who can stay upwirhgt on the board.
Narrower: could be faster, to a point.
Lighter: from what they are saying, the Red Paddle may have shaved couple of pounds.

Starboard:
Less rocker: the board tracks really well, and I suspect that it will track better than a board with more rocker. Its lack of rocker might make the board faster on flat water, since it isn't pushing very much water at all.
Wider: more stable for more people, yet, the board should give you plenty of speed. It would be super interesting to see both boards side by side with a) elite paddlers and b) average paddlers.

In the end, it looks like stability goes to Starboard… and that the "fastest" board is still out for the test. Either way, on a rough day, paddlers will probably appreciate that extra stability.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
I have been playing around with my iSUP 14x28, and I still find it extremely versatile.
We are still in the middle of winter (mid-Feb and all), but Brittany has brought us our 7th (or 8th) sunny day since Jan 1st. I decided to take advantage of it with some fun.

I took the 14' board on my two-wheel (a scooter that's super easy to park). While I prefer the board to be packed in its bag for traveling, I had a blast driving around with the board fully inflated. Not that I would recommend this in civilized countries, but it's still do-able.

Here's to sharing a couple of photos - dedicated to this very versatile board.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 05:03:03 AM »
French rider Gaétan Séné putting the iSUP Racer to the test.

Conditions:
Windy to 20 MPH, and gusting to 25-30 MPH.
Protected bay giving way to the ocean - for a variety of test and feel.
There was a lot of fun to be had, that's for sure.

Here are couple of photos:

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal