Author Topic: Webcams cause work-related stress  (Read 2623 times)

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Webcams cause work-related stress
« on: December 10, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
We've got a great south swell happening today along Lake Michigan, along with unseasonable 50 degree temps.  I'm at my desk....gear in the car and ready to hit the beach at 3:30 pm for a couple of hours before dark.  This pic from a webcam of a break on Lake Michigan south of me plainly shows that it is on already!  For us Lake surfers these are nice waves!

Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Webcams cause work-related stress
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 02:36:32 PM »
Wow! I can't imagine frothing over that. Sometimes I need some perspective to illustrate just how lucky I am to be on the coast here in NJ. Hope you got some, XLR8. (cool user name)
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 04:26:33 PM »
Wow! I can't imagine frothing over that. Sometimes I need some perspective to illustrate just how lucky I am to be on the coast here is san diego.    but here to you go get some waves   and no sharks
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 05:58:25 PM »
Can you say Peaky and Jumbled. Still looks good. Hope you got some of that.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »
Try living on the coast where all your jobs have ocean views (residential contracting), I've been tempted many times to buy myself some horse blinders, and convert them so that they fit me.  Keep you eyes on the job, and don't look west (for my location). 
Web cams are kids stuff, it's much harder when you can hear and smell the ocean, all day long, even when you're not looking.
It takes a quiver to do that.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 06:45:52 PM »
And I thought I was obsessed.  Yes cams are the work of the devil no doubt.  But the flip side is driving fruitlessly.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:39:41 PM »
For us here it is downwind season and although we have webcams around the place at this time of the year we get SMS warnings for high winds and there are real time charts of wind online.... I start planning weekends on Tuesdays, sometimes Monday afternoon.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 05:18:55 AM »
I guess it is good to be able to be stoked over nothing.  It is always better in the water.  It was a good day.  20+ mph winds, it is almost always peaky and jumbled, except for the point breaks along the northern waters and the UP.  For those without work constraints and gas money you will find our version of gold.  "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with."

Last Spring Morgan Hoesterey came into the area to follow a little surf crew around and I was in it for the day.  Super sub-par March conditions, shelf ice, big chunks like couches floating in the water.  Mushy, broken surf with no sections to connect.  Awesome, in other words.

I remember a passage from her story:  "That's when I realize that this is life for them; it's just what they do.  To me, it seems tough.  These guys are willing to do things that a lot of us wouldn't and they love it - all of it.  They're proud of where they live and they appreciate each time they get to take advantage of good weather.  My fingertips are frozen and each fall in the water hits me like a slap in the face.  But this time I stay out for more than three waves.  I feel like I owe it to them - to experience it like they do.  These guys have reminded me to be grateful for the damn journey."

I appreciated those thoughts.  I remember the first time I surfed Huntington Beach, and Hermosa.  I paddled out and turned around and was blown away by all the houses, stacked on top of each other.  The waves weren't good for the locals but I had a blast.  My shoreline is a little different.  Here's one from the article....five miles down the road from my house.  And then one that shows what peaky and jumbled really looks like around here.

Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 07:55:45 AM »
Nice pics! I always wonder about Great Lakes surfing.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal