Author Topic: Pictures of Surf 10'6 XXX & EcoTech construction/shape  (Read 5450 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Pictures of Surf 10'6 XXX & EcoTech construction/shape
« on: December 03, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »
I've attached pictures of this new shape (SURF) This is not a beginner board it has low rail, thin nose nice rocker
The first pic is XXX & EcoTech side by side (not Blue but White) the quality of the construction far exceeds the pictures they are beautiful The difference in weight is minimal maybe a pound or so
The second pic is the XXX a carbon Balsa wood construction AMAZINGLY LIGHT and in my experiences with the Speeed of the same construction very responsive.
The third pic is of the new ECOTech construction an Epoxy Bamboo construction We haven't yet (hope to on Sunday)Demo'd So I'll have more on this later

hope this sheds more light on these amazing boards...If you have more questions feel free to PM me here

Aloha
JimK
Extreme

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures of Surf 10'6 XXX & EcoTech construction/shape
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »
second pic
XXX construction

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 07:08:33 PM »
Side by side XXX & EcoTech

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 05:25:27 AM »
thx jim.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 06:05:38 AM »
Jim, Is this the same board (the Balsa build) that Creek has right now? Same  nose/tail rocker and dimensions?

It's a thing of beauty. Clearly Bert Burger knows a thing or two about shaping longboards.

If it wasn't blowing so hard yesterday @ LS and I hadn't been worn out and spent from the morning session I'd have jumped on it.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:14:07 AM »
Ake G

That is the same board Creek is cruising the EC with.
 Not much waves for us this weekend in Jersey, but I'm gonna play with
both these boards in whatever we get to give some initial feed back on performance (feel,) differences between these construction. As well as how they feel compared to Starboard Blend/Drive and JP widestyle 10'2

I'll post back when I get more
JimK

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »
be interested to get your report.  i saw the 10-6 this morning, beautiful to look at, but i'm not sure i'm a fan of the rails.  i guess it's more of a progressive longboard SUP than a trad shape.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 09:47:26 AM »
Linter
Just saw your post (a month plus later) You are correct the Surf is a performance longboard that nose rides very well But for a purist like yourself Sunova offers the STYLE Same construction XXX but made for MAXIMUM TIP TIME

Hope this helps

JimK

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »
I have had limited sessions of good waves since the Sunova's hit the coast. and when it was good, I was on the Flow, Soul and Speeed.

I have been waiting for the right conditions to give this board a good run..... hopefully I will have something to report before too long.

I did take out the 9'5 Surf in ECO build (quite different shape than the 10'6)
It is a wide stable board at 9'5 x 33 at 160 L, so I was not expecting it to be so lively!
I had a blast on it! I wore a head cam the first session and you can hear my reaction.... I really liked that board from the 1st wave.

It's tough to get worthwhile video in winter.... but I am getting a little.

I am going to start a different thread for each board, so check back.
Winter is a fickle beast....

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 10:11:25 PM »
I did take out the 9'5 Surf in ECO build (quite different shape than the 10'6)
It is a wide stable board at 9'5 x 33 at 160 L, so I was not expecting it to be so lively!
I had a blast on it! I wore a head cam the first session and you can hear my reaction.... I really liked that board from the 1st wave.

It's a fattie, but slimmer at 32" :)  Thanks to JimK and STC for cranking up the Sunova stoke, mine just showed up.  My XXX Tec version weighs in at just over 20lb.  Besides being a fattie and the awesome and beautiful XXX Tec construction, the first thing I noticed was the ton of nose rocker this board has.  More then my 8'5" Speeed, but only due to the extended nose profile as the rocker lines are nearly identical.

Given the rocker line and the 32" width, it's amazingly quick paddling and has excellent guide.  A lot quicker then my Speeed, although that curvy outline definitely does not track as straight.  No surf yet, but I can't wait to try it.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »
ha ha.... you are right baddog.... it was so stable, I sort of assumed that 9'5 was 33".... I had to go read the stats on the board. Yup 32"

On another note..... today, I finally got a session on the 10'6 Surf XXX
It was really fun.... carves nice solid turns, easy on cutbacks.... the waves were waist to chest and a bit soft, but I could feel the board come alive in sections.
It paddles in nicely, and snaps a nice turn off a fade, carries speed well.

I am happy so far.... I will have to give this board more time in some punchier waves, it's going to be fun!

No pics or video.... it was raining and in the 30's

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal