Author Topic: Waist Leash for Surfing  (Read 29766 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Waist Leash for Surfing
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 05:57:29 PM »
And here is an graphic that I drew up to explain why the waist leash is superior in big surf.  The leash will pull you backwards and FACE UP.  You get pulled to the surface like a fishing lure and can breath while you are getting dragged.  I have actually planned up on my back.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »
I have been using Ralph's (sup-position) belt for a couple of months now. It took a few seshs to get used to it, but it is better than an ankle belt.  Ralph's is a velcro belt that has a loop for a regular leash to attach.

My only complaint is that my fat body needs a few inches more velcro for a tighter, more secure fit.  I really have to ratchet it down around my hips to get enough velcro are so that it doesn't come off.

It makes it easier to release the main leash, and also makes it easier to grab the leash when the board is in motion.

it does seem to have the effect of keeping you more toward the surface when being dragged which is why I got it.

I wear mine with the main leash toward the front and the trailing end between my legs or off to the side.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 07:40:23 AM »
LeashLok WaistLeash Review:

Overall a great product which i will use out of the box.  Cost was $25.99 for the belt, $27.24 for the ankle leash, no tax, $11.80 shipping to NY--came in 2 days USPS Priority Mail.

This is the only "off-the-shelf" WaistLeash with a direct connection to the belt for the "rope" portion of the leash. I have a custom on order from another source which i will review when it arrives.

Pros: Seems well made, plenty durable. Good size webbing, unlikely to take on much water weight. Nice release loop, stainless steel connective parts/swivels. Clean connection for leash at back of belt.

Nitpicky Cons: Belt has no padding on half of it's circumference. That half has velcro only, sewn directly to the belt webbing. Fortunately it's the furry side of the Velcro, but it's distinctly less comfortable than the padded side. This was done, likely, to accommodate a one size fits all approach. Might be better to have small medium large sizes to allow padding for most of the circumference?? Belt can only be bought on it's own, no leash attached. So, if one wants an all-new setup, one has to buy an ankle leash as well, and discard the ankle portion of the ankle leash--a waste. Belt should be sold with and without a leash.

That said, I bought their heavy sup max leash, and it's great. Nice, clean swivel and rail-saver set-up (and nice ankle wrap, too, which will gather dust). I also bought their little leash-plug ropes (webbing actually) which are slick and clean.

I emailed asking they call to answer some questions, and a guy called back right away. I mentioned my concern re the lack of padding on half the circumference of the belt, and asked if they had some scraps that would match the very nice foam on the installed side, which i could have sewn locally to me. Response was: "It's a one-size-fit-all leash and we don't have anything like that". I was a little surprised, but will cut an old wetsuit and have that sewn to the correct length for my waist size.

Pics to follow if i can manage to post them.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 10:20:25 AM »
I wore mine for a long session yesterday, it was very comfortable. Kept my boardies up too, which is a big plus.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
Nice Review eastbound.

Got to really think about getting one of those.

I'd think it would look kind of Kooky, but I already
hike the leash up off the board to my board shorts with a paddle
loop, for less drag, so I think it wouldn't look that much different.

Based on what people are saying it seems to be a
very good idea when waves are bigger and/or if there
are rocks around.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
And here is an graphic that I drew up to explain why the waist leash is superior in big surf.  The leash will pull you backwards and FACE UP.  You get pulled to the surface like a fishing lure and can breath while you are getting dragged.  I have actually planned up on my back.

So I have never used a waist leash..but I have gotten dragged in big surf with my SUP...and I have gotten dragged by my kite pretty heavily...so know that when you read:

I think it is critical that the leash is oriented towards the back like you are describing. If it points forward, all the pressure from being dragged through water will be on your lower back, and could eventually break it.

GregH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »
I agree waist leash is better for SUP. I have been using waist leash in surf for past 1 1/2-2 years. You can make a DIY waist leash from cheap weight dive belt and a regular ankle leash. The "Leashlok Hawaii waist leash  here looks better - lighter and less likely to trip over maybe.
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29
7'7'' x29 SIMSUP,
8'5'' x30 JL WWide,
9'8'' x30 SB Element,
12 6 x?29 SB Surf Race

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »
I've used mine in head high stuff a couple times now. I like it. I think I'd like a little more positive closure. I know it's at least as much velcro as an ankle ot calf leash, but it just seems less secure somehow. I should just test it, but I think I'm going to add a buckle for bigger days. I don't need quick release
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »

Good idea with the belt buckle for the Leashlok Ponobill.  Let us know what you come up with.

GregH   The nylon dive belt did not work for me.  It open right up on the first overhead wave that hit my board…just pulled completely loose.  I wouldn't recommend it…maybe for small gutless surf?

I've had good success with the Hailey waist leash…up to a point.  I used the Hailey leash for two years and it worked fine.  This summer I used it in large south swell surf and the velcro had broken down and pulled free on a big wave.  I thought this was a freak accident and went back out after I retrieved my sup.  I got stuck inside again and the leash did the same thing.  The velcro pulled loose and seemed to have lost it's holding power.  The leash itself was in good condition.  It seems the velcro can break down after time and loose its effectiveness.?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 05:14:52 PM »
I've had that happen several times with calf and ankle leashes. When you start to see flat or bare spots it's time for a new leash.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 05:54:02 PM »
Even new, some Velcro is weak. Chinese Velcro?

Right now, I think dakine Velcro is suspect and FCS Velcro is the real stuff.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 10:18:45 PM »
I surprised that you say that. The Dakine leashes I've been using have some of the best velcro I've seen anywhere. That's why I use them.

I'll have to check out the FCS. If it's better than Dakine that would be pretty amazing.

Creatures velrco is the weakest that I've found.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

GregH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 06:42:44 AM »
Lopez - u are right about some dive belts releasing under pressure - I had that experience too and the belt sank to the sea floor. I use a Nookie kayak belt and that has a  good quality quick release  buckle - never failed even in overhead surf but a double mechanism eg buckle + velcro or other capture point would be safer.
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29
7'7'' x29 SIMSUP,
8'5'' x30 JL WWide,
9'8'' x30 SB Element,
12 6 x?29 SB Surf Race

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
I am not a fan of FCS leashes. Just my experience.  I have had a few and they have failed miserably and easily on both surf boards and SUS boards in waves as small as knee to waist.  I had several fail around the same time so I took photos of the failures.  I now use the stay covered leashes from a recommendation of another thread on this forum and they are excellent.

Here are the photos of the FCS failures.

I have a leashlok waist leash and one of Sup-Postion's waist leashes.  Both are great but I like the leash lok one better.  I just attach the ankle cuff around the waist leash and have no problems with it.  Here it is

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »
I've never been a fan of the formed plastic connectors for leashes, though I'm currently too lazy and busy to modify the Leashlock belt I just bought. They can be beefed up with some kite line to back up the extrusions, but the best solution is a doubled over ferrule like the handmade big wave leashes. I don't ride "waves of consequence", DOH plus a little if it's smooth and consistent is about my limit, but I hate, hate, hate the feeling of my leash separating for any reason.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal