Author Topic: Gloves for winter paddling.  (Read 3433 times)

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Gloves for winter paddling.
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:48:05 AM »
Hey guys, im looking for a pair of good gloves that'll keep my hands dry when paddling this winter. What are you guys using?

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
Re: Gloves for winter paddling.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »
For the past two years year I use NRS's Maverick Gloves which have a turned in wrist cuff which prevents water from getting in.  For even colder temps (teens), I use the Glacier Glove with the velco strap around the wrist.  Note after a lot of paddling you will burn holes in one or two fingers thus lose your dryness, but retain warmth.  Been paddling in 30F temps lately an still staying warm with a few small holes. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 03:59:33 PM »
Hey guys, im looking for a pair of good gloves that'll keep my hands dry when paddling this winter. What are you guys using?

Rob
Where are you? What kinds of temps are you talking about exactly? I agree with Rob, the NRS gloves are great. Most models have curved fingers, unlike surf-specific gloves, these are much easier to hold a paddle with. Lots of choices here http://www.nrs.com/category/2823/sup/handwear
Bunch of old shit

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »
I REALLY like the SUPreme Gloves made specifically for SUP

More details and ZONER discount PM me here

JimK

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 05:15:35 AM »

Rob
Where are you? What kinds of temps are you talking about exactly? I agree with Rob, the NRS gloves are great. Most models have curved fingers, unlike surf-specific gloves, these are much easier to hold a paddle with. Lots of choices here http://www.nrs.com/category/2823/sup/handwear
I'm in "sunny" Connecticut.  ;D Temps get into the 20 and 30 but I generally get cold hands easily.
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:42:15 AM »
Hi Foilman

Which kind of "paddling" are you talking about.... flat or surf?

In surf I use 3.5 mm, 5 finger gloves all winter.... I tear out the water dam because it makes them miserably hard to put on.... and worse to take off.
Wetsuits need to have water in them to work.
I know some on here will try to shout me down.... but I have been surfing in below 15* F all my life..... no water = freeze your ass off.

Example:
My hands don't often get cold surfing really cold, windy days with 3.5 mm, 5 finger gloves......
but NO wetsuit gloves have ever kept my hands warm when paddling cold flat-water (dry)..... NONE!

I learned to use cheapo ski gloves ($12) for flat-water.
My hands never get cold
Unless I fall in.... then I change into the "get home safe" wetsuit gloves I keep on the deck.

Pic below...... yup..... cold...... hands toasty  :)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 02:10:37 PM »
Creek, you are a freak of nature the way you stay warm. Very few people could wear what you wear in the temps you surf in.

It was 30 degrees at Straws Point this morning. I was wearing a 6/5 Xcel wetsuit with 7mm boots and poly socks. I went out with 5mm Xcel lobster mitts and my hands got cold. I even poured hot water into them before putting them on. I had to come back in after an hour with frozen hands and switch to my 7MM full mitts. I was fine after that.

My 6/5 wetsuit is comfortable in temps between 30 and 45 degrees. Below that I have to wear the drysuit.

I know I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I get cold really easy, but you are one person who would have no problem surfing in Antarctica.

Aside from the cold hands at the beginning, I had an awesome four hour session this morning. I love this time of year.

For flatwater. I wear my wetsuit gloves/mitts all winter. You're right they do have to be wet to work. Above 40 degrees I just dip my hands in the water while wearing the gloves and let water in. Below 40 I always pour hot water in them first. If my hands get cold in the beginning they usually don't warm up on their own. The hot water helps a lot.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:33:13 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

seant319

• Waikiki Status
    • AOL Instant Messenger - creatureripperST
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »
The supreme 2mm gloves work ok, you still end up using the wrist flexor muscles a lot more to grip with them but the quality sucks and the company did not respond to address quality issues. I've had to sew my gloves myself multiple times because they rip between the fingers. Hard to turn inside out to clean without ripping them. The best for me unless its below freezing for flat water paddling are gloves with the end fingers cut off. I don't seem to have to grip as hard and still keeps the hands reasonably warm.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »
Seant,

You should have contacted the retailer you goit the gloves from I've NEVER had a quality issue with SUPreme wesell tons of SUPreme and practically NO Warranty requests(issues) and all my warranty requests have been taken care of to my satisfaction by SUPreme

If they are not over a year old I'd be happy to take up your cause

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 06:35:53 PM »
I second the NRS gloves, and I paddle on the Hudson — similar conditions as you. I rarely go out when it's really cold because the river freezes over.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 06:34:47 AM »
The last two Winters here in R.I. I've been using 3mm Neo Sport gloves which keep my hands toasty. I'm mostly flat water and light chop paddling though. On sunny days with little wind I don't always use them but I always have them on me just in case.

Will

moonsup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 06:53:10 AM »
For mainly flatwater, i like the gloves from lavacore. They have excellent grip, no forearm fatigue, and great wind protection. For total immersion i'd look elsewhere.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
The supreme 2mm gloves work ok... but the quality sucks and the company did not respond to address quality issues. I've had to sew my gloves myself multiple times because they rip between the fingers.

Had the same issue with the supreme 2mm. Good thing I ordered from Amazon so
I returned it no problem. I'm on the 2nd pair, same issue. I'm just going to keep it for early fall and spring usage as I love the feel of the gloves. NOT winter gloves by any means IMO.
in progress...

seant319

• Waikiki Status
    • AOL Instant Messenger - creatureripperST
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »
I sewed my gloves around where the palm meets the finger and they are pretty solid now. Even though the gloves are only 2mm, my wrists are working much harder to grip the paddle. Without gloves I have a very loose relaxed grip on the paddle. I like them for flat water stuff even below freezing. If you're surfing or planning on falling in it would be better to have something thicker.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal