Author Topic: Crap how can this be  (Read 2139 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Crap how can this be
« on: November 20, 2015, 12:59:20 PM »
Just got back from surfing my  c-4  and it too is taking water. water seems to be getting in through a plug tie down thing  on the deck.I weighed and in 3.5 hours of surfing it gained  1/3 of a pound.  The kicker is when I put it on the scale  and weighed it  I looked over at the plug  and there was air bubbling out with water I'll post pictures later. So  to sum it up  2 of my 3 boards are taking water, my kings where the fin boxes filled with water after a week out of the water just sitting in the rack and now the C-4..

I know vent plugs aren't supposed to leak but can they ? why do we need vents?  is it possible that  they can take water? 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Crap how can this be
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 05:40:07 PM »
Vents can totally take water. On my production boards,sandwich construction I leave them screwed shut all the time unless I'm traveling. But on customs you need them. There are screw in ones but I don't really trust myself to keep them tight and loosen them when things get hot on the car top so I stay Gore Tex.

You can actually replace most of them though. Maybe time for a new vent membrane?

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »
here are the photos the plug is only about 3/4 in diameter there is  no pressure on it I don't hang the board  with my paddle  when  I carry it. It has a handle though that was installed by ding king, Hmmm?   but why would water come up from the plug of all places? 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:36:57 PM »
More common than you think. I put two plugs in one of my boards for a tail handle. If you drill the hole a little too wide or deep, you'll get an exothermic reaction when you set it with epoxy. The foam melts away from the plug and the plug is left being held by only the glass. The glass often gets sanded away depending on how flush the plug was set. Not much left holding the plug in. Mine pulled out like tight corks. A glasser friend of mine told me after I drill the plug hole, I should brush a light coat epoxy on the foam inside the hole. Let it cure, then set the plug with epoxy. Then glass over it and be careful not to sand through more glass than is needed to expose the center of the plug.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 08:16:25 AM »
I have a C4 Beach Boy that does the same thing. The extra tie down mid pad was dumping water after a paddle, so I'm in the process of cutting it out and closing it up. Might also cut out all the tie downs on the front of the board as well. I've had a lot of problems with this board, am going to stick with non-Chinese boards in the future. Has delaminated in a few places almost the size of dinner plates, the vent plug disintegrated on me a few years ago, and C4 charged like 30 bucks for a new one. Now the wood deck is starting to get discoloration, probably because of all the water that it's soaked up.  I like the design but the build quality is crap.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal