Author Topic: Anyone stay at Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas  (Read 3396 times)

SUPvol

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone stay at Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
« on: November 19, 2015, 07:31:41 AM »
Still trying to figure out place to go for anniversary next Juy. A buddy was talking to me about Cabo. I read about the Surf Hotel here on the Zone, but has anyone stayed ay the Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas as was looking at all inclusive as a rookie traveler. Defintely looking for SUP surfing close by while there - thanks!

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone stay at Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »
I spent my last anniversary on Cabo (May) and a few years ago stayed at a RIU in Costa Rica.  The RIU was nice but in all honesty I am not a fan of all inclusives.   I would HIGHLY recommend not staying and any all inclusive in Cabo.  There is just too much you will miss out on.  I don't remember the name of the place in Cabo but if you remind me i will ask my wife if you're interested.

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:05:06 PM »
I took my kids the last 2 years in a row and stayed in the cabo corridor . I highly recommend getting a rental car and bringing your own surf sup .  Since I had to please my teenage daughters and a girlfriend it couldnt be all about surfing . 

I did dawn patrol every morning and then fun stuff with them the rest of the day . 

If it was my choice I would stay a vrbo in the las olas condos which are in front of the san jose del cabo breaks of zippers, the rock and old mans .(aka costa azul)

You could look at the cabo surf hotel but for the money vrbos are way better.

This is what i wanted  for location ..  http://www.vrbo.com/434756

But I ended up in Casa del mar condos which are located around a 5 star hotel . Super nice pools and great pool bar with food and very relaxing . 2 mile drive to the parking lot in front of the cabo surf hotel and thru the "tunnel" to the beach . 

It was in the sol building near this one  http://www.vrbo.com/301804

They all discount the price in july so dont be afraid to ask for a "deal" 

Get groceries at the mega and eat dinners out at all the great places since you have a car . Go to Todo santos and see hotel california ?  Surf cerreitos on the way . 

Jim in pdx

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:11:37 PM by p06781 »

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 06:25:14 PM »
Riu is a good all inclusive. No surf at the riu.

Surf is defiantly at the cabo surf hotel.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:07:21 PM »
Ok now I remember the name of where we stayed.  Casa Dorado in Cabo San Lucas.   
http://www.casadorada.com/cabosanlucasresort-en.html

I don't know if you want flat water SUP or surfing.  Where we stayed is perfect for early morning flat water and it's close to the marina and downtown.  That being said, we did a day trip to San Jose Del Cabo and IMO it's a much nicer low key town than CSL and WAY much less of the dude bro douche bag wanker element.  If SUP surfing is your plan then like mentioned above Las Olas, Cabo Surf Hotel or others near by would be a better choice and just a short drive from down town San Jose Del Cabo. 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 07:12:37 PM »
Go to Todo santos and see hotel california ?  Surf cerreitos on the way . 

Or better yet, just stay in Cerritos for the  entire trip. But that's just me.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »
Speaking of Cerritos.

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 04:37:21 AM »
I am not a big fan of the RIU.  Way to big of a place and only flat water paddling in the bay

July is south swell time.. I am not a big fan of cerritos in the summer time.  The place is a thumping beach break on shallow sand.   

I would go east to San Jose.  Obviously there is old mans and the rock in front of the surf hotel, but the whole key to getting the most fun is renting a 4 wheel drive car and going east of San Jose past punta Gorda.  Forget about the popular spots like shipwrecks, and 9 palms,  there is at least 30 breaks without a soul on them.  on the East Cape, you can SUP empty waves and let the proners hassle it out in town..

Lots of places to stay, but if you dont need to be on the water, some cool places downtown San Jose.. You will be surfing and on the beach all day long, so staying on the beach might not be a big thing..

Also, not a fan of all inclusive.  Part of the experience of Baja is the local food, like fish tacos after a good surf, or a carne asada with cold beers..

Have a good trip. You will love Baja.

SUPvol

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 06:12:46 AM »
I am not a big fan of the RIU.  Way to big of a place and only flat water paddling in the bay

July is south swell time.. I am not a big fan of cerritos in the summer time.  The place is a thumping beach break on shallow sand.   

I would go east to San Jose.  Obviously there is old mans and the rock in front of the surf hotel, but the whole key to getting the most fun is renting a 4 wheel drive car and going east of San Jose past punta Gorda.  Forget about the popular spots like shipwrecks, and 9 palms,  there is at least 30 breaks without a soul on them.  on the East Cape, you can SUP empty waves and let the proners hassle it out in town..

Lots of places to stay, but if you dont need to be on the water, some cool places downtown San Jose.. You will be surfing and on the beach all day long, so staying on the beach might not be a big thing..

Also, not a fan of all inclusive.  Part of the experience of Baja is the local food, like fish tacos after a good surf, or a carne asada with cold beers..

Have a good trip. You will love Baja.

Bajasurf -- What do you mean by "July is south swell time.. I am not a big fan of cerritos in the summer time." what is cerritos and is south swell good or bad? After more reading, I'm leaning hard toward the surf hotel. I will have my wife, who just likes the beach and fruity drinks and my 2 boys that prone surf - I SUP surf. Might look at renting a 4x4 for one or two to venture out, but for a rookie traveler like me, can see staying closer to the hotel most of the time. Any major negatives you can think of about staying at surf hotel. You have had some get input here on the Zone. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal