Author Topic: Sic fx 12,6  (Read 9286 times)

kelvinpumba

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Sic fx 12,6
« on: November 10, 2015, 08:17:07 AM »
Hey has anyone tried the new fx. Thought 's.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sic fx 12,6
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 10:50:29 PM »
Hey has anyone tried the new fx. Thought 's.

I only have it for few days now and obviously haven't had the chance to test it extensively but my initial impression is super positive!
The board delivers exactly what the marketing hype had promised.

I have a slightly wider version 27 vs 25.5. and at 27 it feels very stable, not as stable as the bullet 14 v2, but very close. I'm coming down
from a 32 wide board and haven't had any issues adapting to it.

The board is fast and get into really good glides especially with longer strokes.
I wanted to test it on a downwind run so first I had to take it 4 miles upwind in a 15mph average wind. That was a bumpy ride as the wind was
blowing against the current but the board preformed like a champ piercing through the bumps and making good progress.

Took me couple of hours but I got there and started going downwind (just to make it clear, I'm a novice downwinder)
What I like about this board is how it effortlessly switches between displacement to planning mode with one step back.
because of that and the fact that In my area (NYC) there are more downbreezers than downwinders this board seems to be a better match.

BTW I'm 5.8/175 which is probably the cut-off between the 12.6 to 14 footer for an average paddler

I hope that helps, if you have more specific questions I'll try to address it if I have the knowledge or experience.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:09:12 PM by burchas »
in progress...

kelvinpumba

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »
What the volume is yours

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »
What the volume is yours

Around 270L. they didn't have an exact number
in progress...

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
Beauty. If you can post some pics of the side rocker profile and nose shape that would be cool.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:46:05 AM »
Beauty. If you can post some pics of the side rocker profile and nose shape that would be cool.

Here is the nose shape
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:47:44 AM »
and for the rocker, I found a better pic of the web to show that
in progress...

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 06:47:22 PM »
Does anyone else think the rear rocker looks a bit too tall on the FX 14 pic?  I am thinking that maybe the fin is resting on the bottom.  Thoughts?
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 09:43:47 PM »
Does anyone else think the rear rocker looks a bit too tall on the FX 14 pic?  I am thinking that maybe the fin is resting on the bottom.  Thoughts?
It is the fin the you're seeing but don't forget, the board is uncompressed. It sits lower when you're on it.
I hope you're not having second thoughts for pulling the trigger. You really shouldn't, this board is a true performer!

Just got back from a marathon on the water today, it was the first time I got a chance to test it on a downwind (more like downbreeze).
9-13mph wind, the board was eager to catch every little bump. if you maintain speed, it will connect bumps on its on own. I maintained an average
8mph for an 8 mile run, had so much fun and couldn't stop until it hit me... Now I have to go all the way back.
I waited for a little while for the ebb and hit it. It was  hard work no doubt but what a fun ride this board is.
Upwind, sidewind, backwash and serious commercial traffic wakes, sometimes all at once. The water kept trying to take my lunch but the board
was having none of that, it just kept piercing through.

All sore now, but what a way to pass a Sunday, sheesh. Now imagine it you on a 14 footer FX. You're in for a treat!
in progress...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 09:57:19 PM »
that photo is not in flat water.  For sure.

Burchas, you one insanely fast mofo!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 10:26:27 PM »
that photo is not in flat water.  For sure.

Burchas, you one insanely fast mofo!

I can't speak for that yugi, I can only say I had the tide with me and the river is running nice and wild.
in progress...

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 04:28:17 AM »
Burchas, that's what I thought about the rocker. Wow!  Sounds like you had a great day and have already bonded with your new board. I am not changing my order just keep looking for pics and write ups while I eagerly await arrival.  Thanks for the detailed review. Can't wait to try mine down wind too. Would like to know how your board performs on a flat day with no current. I am hoping that it is pretty close to the X14 Pro on flat water too. Sounds like it is much faster and more fun in chop and down wind. Cheers!! 8)
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 05:29:37 AM »
When is your's due in Rideordie?  The New Year?  Please review - with pics - and keep those of us who have to endure a winter freeze up stoked for the spring thaw.. That being said,  I might actually be paddling here in the great white North right into December this year.... So far so good. 
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 06:32:37 AM »
Rideordie, I did have a chance to take it on a calm day when it was slack.
I don't know what's considered fast in your book as I have no point of comparison, I can tell you the GPS  was registering 5-5.5 mph consistently while it lasted.

It sounds like you're a more experienced paddler than I am and you'll be working with a better, lighter board at 14/25 vs. my 12.6/27 so draw your conclusions.

BTW, what speeds were you registering with your X-14 Pro on the flats?
in progress...

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 02:27:09 PM »
Burchas,
That is pretty fast in my book, especially for a 12 6.  I have lots of GPS data on the X 14 Pro.  My best non-stop average over six miles on a pretty flat day including a buoy turn was 5.1 mph.  I think my best flat water mile was about 5.4  Typical non-stop training training runs with variable winds over six miles with buoy turn about average 4.9 - 5.0 mph.  FYI, I am 54 years young and weigh 200 lbs.  It will be interesting to see what I can do with the FX 14.  My hope is that it is as fast on flats, plus faster in rougher conditions and downwind.  I am also hoping for a more comfortable ride, better handling, less nose tracking.  I think the increase volume will float me better.  I think I was above the optimum weight for the X 14.                     
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal