Author Topic: Anybody hit 1st Beach today?  (Read 99423 times)

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody hit 1st Beach today?
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2017, 05:15:27 AM »
Not surprised as the town has known about the 2 other cams on the beach and  ow they just want to put their own stamp on it, way I look at it, surfers already use the other cams so I don't think it'll drive anymore traffic other than the beach goers now having the opportunity to check things out. Plus now I have more cameras to make a better decision to go there or head further south to Narri or Matunuk.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2017, 03:22:03 PM »
Some VERY fun rides today in Lil' Rhody....woke up and rolled over at 7am after catching the trees outside swaying too and fro only to find PDLSRF committed (via text) to an am session.  I caught up with him after a good hour or so and enjoyed the next several hours with him on some consistent peeling surf.  He was ripping it up on his Ron House with some loooooooooog rides.  DAMN,  I need a camera to catch the shore perspective!  Offshore wind was up a bit at times and I found it challenging.....not to mention a couple of extra beers last night - in the end it was just nice to spent a few hours laughing and hooting and hollering.....Biggie:  Dude, ya missed it!  (lol -- look forward to sharing some water time w/ ya at some point!).  Stoney's got an excuse having just bought a place and setting it up....  ;)  4 sessions in the last week has definitely has reset the attitude meter!

Hope all are getting some....
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
Hi

My little trip to 1st beach –

Back in the day, mid 80s, I learned to windsurf at 3rd beach.  Sailed until my Aleeda 3.0 couldn’t keep the fall temps out.

Bought my first “glass board” from the Johnsons at Island Windsurfing.  Gave the board away and somehow it showed up at my front door a few years ago.  A snow camo cover hid the faded graphics beautifully and it then became my son’s first paddle board.

Years of moving all over for work and raising a family, have kept away until last Sunday -

After seeing good conditions Saturday afternoon, I made a snap decision at 6am and took the 2 hour ride with the bare essentials – my Kings 8-4, wetsuit, bottle of water and a power bar.   After 20 minutes of lurking and watching only one guy out, I thought WTF, no one knows me and if I got skunked, at least I tried.

The first paddle out ended with a clean little left hand peeler.  Minutes turned into an hour. 

Just when I was ready claim the venture accomplished, a second sup’r showed up.  We had a little hand wave, then a chit chat about other Cape surfers and that was it. 

Then the old one-last-wave, then an encore, then another and then a groomed set that was too good to pass up.  After another hour, I packed it up with a smile.  I don’t want out anybody, but was it you whatssup??

Although the waves hardly put hair on your chest, what a good feeling.

To top it off, commuting with the Boss’ audio autobiography, narrated by the Boss himself made the miles melt away.  Did you know that Bruce was a surfer too!

Ron C.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:04:18 PM by ron.c »

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »
Hey Ron C that might have been Todd (WhatSUP) on Sunday and he told me he was heading back for leftovers from Saturday. It's looking super promising for chest to head plus tomorrow as a result of this 2 day nor'easter we've had. I'll be there tomorrow morning and maybe a few other zoners, just got fog warning til 9am so hopefully it's not too bad, either way surfs up again in little Rhodie !
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2017, 06:02:06 PM »
Ron.C  Yep, that was me on Sunday.....I stayed for another hour or so after your "one more good wave" comment, which I know was at least another hour or more after you and I first spoke.  I stayed for another hour or two after you left until the wind turned onshore and picked up....

PDLSRF (Derek) was the "King's Guy" I mentioned to you I knew who was a fan after noticing you too where on a Kings board.....sweet looking boards!

Great to meet ya and share a few....

See ya again soon!
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »
Thanks for being a gracious host Todd!!

I definitely won’t be waiting another 30 years for my second trip!

RC

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2017, 03:48:16 PM »
All of RI was pumping today !!

I hit the water at 1st at 6am and already 60 people in the water yet plenty of big waves to go around. Started with few chest high sets, then as the morning rolled so did the waves, chest then head high, then bigger oh my. By the time We left (both Kayadogg and Mr Big made celebrity appearances) the size was overhead and then some on a few sets.

Mr Big was stoked as he scored one monsta wave and put his paddle in the air to see the size of the wave and it was over his paddle (so at least a couple feet overhead as we know Cleveland isn't a tall basketball player).

It was brutal getting out, washing machine madness so once you got out you stayed out and made sure to cut back and out before the close out got ya.

Hoping for some leftovers tomorrow.

I heard there was a few other Zoners in Southern RI as well this morning... Beasho, Creek, probably a few more.

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 17, 2017, 02:03:54 AM »
Ya Brudda!

Dat wuz fun today!

Except for the shorepound!

Couple of beeg wans.

Snapped my kook cord.

I can still swim.

The lifeguards love seeing the "guy who died" out there.

Continued thanks to Higher Authority!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:05:44 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2017, 05:42:54 PM »
Repeat of 2 weeks ago to the day, only had to wait out the 15-20 mph offshore winds, then finally around 4:30 the winds died down and conditions became awesome. Mr Big didn't miss a beat just a week out from his great white incident, only difference was the new board he was getting dialed in, since his shark bite Kings is now at the Cape Cod Atlantic Shark Conservacy for research and display. Waves rolled it at a solid waist-chest and head+ on occasion, we where surprised we didn't see any other zoners, not sure if the wind deterred folks.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2017, 06:57:27 PM »
Where are you going? What are you riding? Whadya think about spots z, y,x ?

Well sometimes the best thing to do is wait Evening glass off, 16 feet at Nantucket Shoals.

Taking off at the red can buoy.

Boom 💥  Really fun. Same crew from Gert

Howzit!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2017, 10:29:19 PM »
Calling on New England Zoners somethings brewing for little RI next weekend per MSW... check out the latest on their app
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2017, 04:43:03 AM »
28ft at 21 secs is far above my pay grade
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »
All I can say is this past Imra Swell Saturday was big and long period for our little slice of heaven in Southern RI. It was an awesome day with a bunch of Zoners showing up and showing off some skills. Sunday had some smaller conditons but just as fun.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2017, 06:02:16 PM »
Seeing and spending time with you, Mr. Big, and Stoneaxe was great!!  I really needed that and can't wait to get in the water with you guys soon!  I ended up going today and lasted a hour before having to call it, but boy oh boy did I need it!!!  Only thigh to waist but nice and clean and got some badly needed rides!  On the road to recovery!!!!!!!!

Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: January 01, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »
Wow, so much for surfing in New England - brrrrr!  At least for 2017-

I’d like to thank Todd for being a gracious host last spring.  My plan for avoiding the Cape’s late summer / early fall sharks infested waters more or less worked out.  A quick run-down of some days that you all might remember too:

September 9th– 1st Hurricane.  It was solid chest to overhead and pumping hard into 1st.  By doing a “path measure” on Google Earth, I got the feel that the waves were simultaneously closing out over a 3000’+ face! Yikes!  With no one around who knew me, I kooked it by paddling out near the impact zone and catching the whitewater.  Not a glorious session, but great practice on tricky-to-catch bomb debris.  The great weather made it a decent day overall.

September 16th – One week later and more of the same with Hurricane #2.   This time my wife came along and we had a Cape Cod reunion with Big.  My wife did OK getting near-pounded, catching the shore break with a surfboard.  I only got one decent ride from outside to all-the-way in.  OK, but my ego was getting rubbed raw.

September 23rd – Another week of Hurricane influenced action.  One had passed the Cape and another was deep in the Caribbean.  The Cape’s weather had also sucked for the week prior and that day was no different, heavy clouds and a drizzle so thick, it might as well have been raining.  With no surf plan, my wife, teeth pull’n Steeve (Big’s baseball teammate) and I did long hike first thing.  With my wife heading to CT for a ladies-all nighter, Steve, another friend and I made plans to meet at Mac’s in Wellfleet at 6. 

For the first time in many years, a whole day with no family members, I gave it a WTF attitude and headed back to 1st.  Once turning the corner in Fall River, the mist stopped and glimpses of blue sky could be seen to the west. 

I snuck into what seemed like the last spot in the first parking lot.  The place was packed as was there was some wine and cheese thing going on in the Pavilion.  With more cloud breaks and a NE breeze, the waves and weather looked good.  Finally, a day for me, not too big and not too small.  Hustling to get my suit on, 3/4s of the couples’ guys seemed to be giving me a “stink-eye”. They looked as though they would have given up their chance to get laid that night to be out with us surfers.  I bet, I bet, that a good percentage of those women would have ditched their man to be out there as well!

I surfed right out in the middle, away from the proners and right out in front on the wine’rs (or should I say wine sippers).  To those on the deck, I rubbed it in with about “500” rides.  Front side, back side, early drops, late drops, and punching through the close-outs.  Right along with me, a father and son had a ball prone’n it. 

2 great hours ended abruptly with a race back to Mac’s.  Oh well, at least the company and food were good.

All things considered, one of my best sessions for 2017.

Late October ?? – Todd and I had a fall reunion.  After firing about 10 blanks, I learned that super steep drops were the only way to catch something.  A few decent rides occurred before a stiff SW’r kicked up and blew things out.

Newport Intermission – Back to Coast Guard the day after Thanksgiving with my wife.  She caught a handful of rides on the inside with her surfboard and then left me for the next hour+ of very nice sets.  An "A" session and 2 more sessions, of the same, over the next couple of weeks.

One more time to Newport for Christmas eve – I didn’t get my ass kicked, but mother nature told me to go sit on the bench. Being a 135# weakling, I could not overcome the wind gusting up and over the wave faces.

Thanks again Todd, I’ll be back in better weather!

RC

As you can guess, cabin fever is setting in

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal