Author Topic: Ultralight board mounted camera pole - how to build thread  (Read 38614 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Ultralight board mounted camera pole - how to build thread
« on: November 01, 2015, 01:04:03 PM »
Hi!  I have been enjoying building and testing a light weight camera pole "tripod" mount for SUP boards.  Downwinding was and probably still is pretty unknown where I live, and after seeing DJ's videos I wanted to show and/or find others to downwind with in the SF bay area.  For me the best part of SUP surfing and especially downwind is that everyone is welcoming and sharing the stoke.  So with this build thread I want to continue that tradition of sharing the stoke, and my hope is that others can build on this knowledge and pay it forward in ways I never imagined.  I was torn about whether to work to bring it to market, and then I realized that what I really want is to share and cooperate with others to create something that we all can be a part of in a good way.

To get the thread started here are some photos of the mounts, I'll work on more detail and a time lapse build of the next one.  I welcome all questions, positive feedback, and any ideas on how to improve it.  Thanks and I hope you enjoy!

Below are 3 "generations", the aluminum being the first one that I used quite often for DW and it weighs 25 ounces without camera, the carbon in the middle was the next DW build and it solved the vibration problem and weighed 15 ounces, and the thinner carbon for SUS I wanted it lighter and free of stuff that leashes and kelp might get caught on and weighs 11 ounces.  My goals for these are light weight, stable, and easy to attach and remove, and to have the POV that is often seen at spots like Pipeline where the photog is in the wave face and we see the board, rider, wave, and background.

Video of the recent carbon build (11 ounce):

Video of the first carbon build (15 ounces):

Video of the aluminum build (25 ounces):

Best,
Clay
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Ultralight board mounted camera pole - how to build thread
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
Sweet rigs...I like the third/lightest one for surfing. I'd love to give that one a try on a mellower/not so hollow kinda day. I've gotten kinda board w/the basic nose mount facing back pov.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:03:22 AM »
Great Videos Clay!

This looks like a great training/teaching tool. I bet you sit down at home after a session and analyzing it to the bone ;D
Was that the motivation of the apparatus?

Did you ever  think of making the pole it self as a stand alone and the triangle leg support as a clamp/braze on?
In theory it sounds like it would give you better positioning freedom, especially if the triangle have suction cups as the connection to the board (at least as an option).
Thus, only the main pole is affixed to the board (with ball base) allowing you to move the mount every which way and only then attach the support. Am I making sense?

The clamp/braze-on should be pretty easy to test as you have many readily available parts on the market borrowing from the cycling world.
The ball base should be also easy to find borrowing something from the Photo?Video world.
in progress...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 06:07:24 AM »
Very cool of you to share these, and having seen your latest one in the flesh, to see the evolution that went into it to get to where you are with low weight and minimum vibration is awesome. I'd suggest three things to make it safer:-

1. Block off the tubes so the whole thing floats easily
2. Make sure the whole assembly can pop off the mounts if you fall on it or it gets dragged along the bottom
3. Paint part of it bright fluorescent yellow / orange so you can find it easily once it pops off.

...then there would be no worries about getting my head or arm or leg somehow stuck in the triangle bit.. or tangling up with a leash
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 02:41:43 PM »
Nicely done Clay.  I half expected the cam to look like the flag at the end of a F1 race with that lever arm so far off center, but it was nice and quiet. Good one.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
How are they attached to the boards?
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 04:24:20 PM »
seems like it would be easier to just get a lilly quad copter an film yourself  the only issue is battery life.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 04:35:45 PM »
Great job..  :)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 09:09:36 PM »
Sweet rigs...I like the third/lightest one for surfing. I'd love to give that one a try on a mellower/not so hollow kinda day. I've gotten kinda board w/the basic nose mount facing back pov.
Thanks!  Yeah we are trying them in mellow surf ourselves and working our way up to bigger surf.  One of my motivations was the nose mount didn't let me see the angle I enjoyed watching, I want an elevated view that gives a more accurate perspective.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »
Great Videos Clay!

This looks like a great training/teaching tool. I bet you sit down at home after a session and analyzing it to the bone ;D
Was that the motivation of the apparatus?

Did you ever  think of making the pole it self as a stand alone and the triangle leg support as a clamp/braze on?
In theory it sounds like it would give you better positioning freedom, especially if the triangle have suction cups as the connection to the board (at least as an option).
Thus, only the main pole is affixed to the board (with ball base) allowing you to move the mount every which way and only then attach the support. Am I making sense?

The clamp/braze-on should be pretty easy to test as you have many readily available parts on the market borrowing from the cycling world.
The ball base should be also easy to find borrowing something from the Photo?Video world.

Thank you! Yes I learn so much watching the video after, really helpful when I try a new board or spot, and watching DJ's video is super helpful.
The primary motivation is getting the word out about how fun Downwinding is, especially the sharing aspect and good vibes, I want to see more of that in the water and specifically in the surf zone.  Filming DW can be a challenge as it's far from land so I wanted a way to film all the downwind runs in a way that is accurate.  A second motivation is a teaching tool so people can see what they are doing and make any necessary adjustments.   Third because I enjoy it, it's super fun for me  ;D

The clamp on is a great idea.  I tried a few I struggled to find parts that fit right.  I ended going for light weight and super stable, work on adjustable later...

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 09:36:51 PM »
Very cool of you to share these, and having seen your latest one in the flesh, to see the evolution that went into it to get to where you are with low weight and minimum vibration is awesome. I'd suggest three things to make it safer:-

1. Block off the tubes so the whole thing floats easily
2. Make sure the whole assembly can pop off the mounts if you fall on it or it gets dragged along the bottom
3. Paint part of it bright fluorescent yellow / orange so you can find it easily once it pops off.

...then there would be no worries about getting my head or arm or leg somehow stuck in the triangle bit.. or tangling up with a leash

Thanks Robert! 

I'll do a float test and see how it does, for myself I wanted it as light as possible, maybe stick on the orange floaty things like has gopro has...
Maybe not epoxying the attachment points would allow them to pop off if need be...

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 09:37:57 PM »
Nicely done Clay.  I half expected the cam to look like the flag at the end of a F1 race with that lever arm so far off center, but it was nice and quiet. Good one.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I was concerned myself and relieved that it works well  :)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »
How are they attached to the boards?

gopro adhesive mounts either surf or the smaller black ones.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 09:39:34 PM »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 10:10:12 PM »
seems like it would be easier to just get a lilly quad copter an film yourself  the only issue is battery life.

I hear you.  That could be impressive when they can make them work well and be silent.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal