Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Super Tech 8'8" does exist  (Read 7955 times)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jimmy Lewis Super Tech 8'8" does exist
« on: October 31, 2015, 10:44:10 AM »
In Maui now and stopped by Second wind sports.  They got the first two Jimmy Lewis 8'8" super techs that came in on the last container.  So they do exist.  8'8" x 29" at 112 ltrs. 
The shop owner also said that Jimmy will have a 9'3" super tech in the next container.  Dimensions and liters unknown.
I compared the shape and bottom contours to the stun gun.  More rocker and thinner.  The weight felt lighter than the 8'7" stun gun too!   
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Tech 8'8" does exist
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 05:48:23 AM »
I saw that board at Surf Expo in the Jimmy Lewis booth and it looked amazing.  My friend bought their sample.  I haven't heard back on how he likes it as he was waiting to add a deck pad.

That 8'8" Super Tech is my next purchase for sure...have the 8'7" Jimmy Lewis Kwad and like it a lot, but the Super Tech looks more high performance.

On another note Jimmy Lewis and his son Marcus have to be two of the nicest guys in the business.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

surfssup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:40:00 AM »
Marlon - his son, is now shaping with Jimmy and along with the global network of paddlers and agents we are all starting to progress the range of boards being put out.

I ride the 8'8 Supertech and love it on clean bigger days as seriously quick.
Jimmy Lewis UK Importer

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:03:08 AM »
nice is right.  a JL was my first board wwwwwway back in the day and jimmy and i have emailed back and forth ever since, with some of his email responses to questions being incredibly long and thoughtful.  and encouraging.  and fun.  i own three JLs now, all three the same model, my good feelings toward them compounded by how great a guy I think Jimmy himself is.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 05:07:11 AM »
nice is right.  a JL was my first board wwwwwway back in the day and jimmy and i have emailed back and forth ever since, with some of his email responses to questions being incredibly long and thoughtful.  and encouraging.  and fun.  i own three JLs now, all three the same model, my good feelings toward them compounded by how great a guy I think Jimmy himself is.

I completely agree, I research and try different boards as much as possible, so it's nice when you can e-mail or FB message the man who designed/built the board and get his take. Jimmy has been great answering my questions regarding the B&B, and I love the board. 
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

bvimiguel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »
I bought the 8'8" Super Tech Carbon from Jimmy and Marlon at Surf Expo last September. Since I don't like wax on my sups I had them cut a deck pad for it and they shipped it to me from Hawaii. I love riding it. It has a single concave from the nose to the middle and then a double concave from the middle to the fins and then a flat tail. I can't believe how easily it catches waves for a 112 liter board. I've ridden it in hollow Caribbean waves with 10 ft faces and boy is it fast and maneuverable. It's the best surf sup I've ever ridden. It also works great in waist high waves. The stock fins which I ride in a thruster configuration work really well. I haven't yet tried riding it as a quad. Also it came supplied with 5 fins so straight out of the box you can configure it how you want. I can't wait to ride it in Baja this summer and test it out in some Pacific juice.

Besides the 8'8" the new Super Techs will be a 9'1" x 30.5" 129 liters and a 9'6" x 31.5" 146 liters. The 9'1" will have a 19" tail and a 16 7/16" nose. The 9'6" will have a 19 3/4" tail and a 16 7/16 nose. I'm pretty sure the bottoms will be the same as the other Super Techs - Single Mid to Double in fins to flat tail.

I have to agree that both Jimmy and Marlon are some of the nicest surf industry guys I have ever met. It's amazing that in this day and age that the owner of a company and his son take the time to respond to individual emails. And they do it within 24 hours. The greatest customer service ever.

Unless something radically changes Jimmy Lewis boards will be the only ones I will buy again.
8'8" Jimmy Lewis Super Tech Carbon
8'11" Jimmy Lewis Striker
9'2" Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun Carbon
8'6" Fanatic AllWave HRS
8'9" Fanatic ProWave HRS
9'3" Fanatic ProWave Ltd Carbon
8'6" Fanatic AllWave HRS
9'9" Amundson AST
10'6" Amundson AST
12'6" Amundson AST

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 03:06:47 PM »
I bought the 8'8" Super Tech Carbon from Jimmy and Marlon at Surf Expo last September. Since I don't like wax on my sups I had them cut a deck pad for it and they shipped it to me from Hawaii. I love riding it. It has a single concave from the nose to the middle and then a double concave from the middle to the fins and then a flat tail. I can't believe how easily it catches waves for a 112 liter board. I've ridden it in hollow Caribbean waves with 10 ft faces and boy is it fast and maneuverable. It's the best surf sup I've ever ridden. It also works great in waist high waves. The stock fins which I ride in a thruster configuration work really well. I haven't yet tried riding it as a quad. Also it came supplied with 5 fins so straight out of the box you can configure it how you want. I can't wait to ride it in Baja this summer and test it out in some Pacific juice.

Besides the 8'8" the new Super Techs will be a 9'1" x 30.5" 129 liters and a 9'6" x 31.5" 146 liters. The 9'1" will have a 19" tail and a 16 7/16" nose. The 9'6" will have a 19 3/4" tail and a 16 7/16 nose. I'm pretty sure the bottoms will be the same as the other Super Techs - Single Mid to Double in fins to flat tail.

I have to agree that both Jimmy and Marlon are some of the nicest surf industry guys I have ever met. It's amazing that in this day and age that the owner of a company and his son take the time to respond to individual emails. And they do it within 24 hours. The greatest customer service ever.

Unless something radically changes Jimmy Lewis boards will be the only ones I will buy again.

Complete agree regarding Jimmy and Marlon, wondering if there's any more reviews on the 8'8" JL SuperTech. I'm looking at it or a 8'5" WW for my all-around board. I'm 170 lbs. and I have a JL Black and Blue I love for anything under waist high, and then a 7'11" 104L F-One Madiero which I'm steady on if it's super clean, otherwise it's pretty challenging.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 04:22:21 AM »
I'm 170 and surfed the WW 8'5 for about a year. I really liked the shape and how it surfed but over time found it to be too floaty. A lot of the volume is in the thick rails which at my weight caused the board to feel corky. I was downsizing at the time and the 8'1 seemed too small. Looking back I think I would have been very happy with the 8'1 WW and even today would be happy to have an 8'1 in my quiver but at my ability, I'm sure I would only be able to ride it on the cleanest days.

If you want a board in the same size range as the WW 8'5, try a Sunova Flow 8'7. Even though the Flow 8'7 is only a few liters less than the WW, it will ride a ton better. 

The Flow is almost identical to the WW in outline and rocker, but with much thinner rails. It's like an improved WW.

If I could have just one all around board, it would be a Flow 8'7. I chose to go with an 8'4 and a low volume 8'10 because I wanted to cover a wider range of conditions.

At your weight, I would avoid the WW 8'5. It's more suited to a heavier rider. I would love to try the Super Tech. That might also be an awesome board to go with, but consider the Flow 8'7 as well.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:42:14 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
Any comments on the stability of the 8'8" SuperTech, or performance in smaller waist to chest high weak surf?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 05:02:14 AM »
Any comments on the stability of the 8'8" SuperTech, or performance in smaller waist to chest high weak surf?
Bump for this question. Highly considering this board

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
My 2 cents, likely worth less...

This may not apply as I have ridden the Super Tech 7'10, but I would guess the 8'8 is similar.  I would expect it to perform well in small surf if you compare it with short board style sups (not sim-sups which excel in small, weak surf).  The 7'10 has a little flatter rocker than I expected and with the squash tail the combination makes it seem stable for its size.  The rocker and squash tail in a quad setup also make the board get up to speed significantly quicker and maintain speed better in small stuff compared to the 8'2 Stun Gun.  The 7'10 surfs like a loose short board and I have been able to surf it in small waves.  For construction, both the Super Tech and Stun Gun are solid.  Again, for what it's worth...
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 04:45:17 PM »
My 2 cents, likely worth less...

This may not apply as I have ridden the Super Tech 7'10, but I would guess the 8'8 is similar.  I would expect it to perform well in small surf if you compare it with short board style sups (not sim-sups which excel in small, weak surf).  The 7'10 has a little flatter rocker than I expected and with the squash tail the combination makes it seem stable for its size.  The rocker and squash tail in a quad setup also make the board get up to speed significantly quicker and maintain speed better in small stuff compared to the 8'2 Stun Gun.  The 7'10 surfs like a loose short board and I have been able to surf it in small waves.  For construction, both the Super Tech and Stun Gun are solid.  Again, for what it's worth...

Thanks EECK   The more info the better. This would be for Waist to OH Beachbreak. from the armchair reasearch- we don't get enough Head High + days to make the stun gun work by me.  And this would be in a quiver specifcally for cleaner semi big stuff.- but again beachbreak so i want it to fly down the line first and foremost to make fast wedging waves.. but go vertically second...... and I like the idea of adding my own deckpad as needed vs other models companies

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 05:34:42 PM »
Bump on this thread, debating the 8'8" or 8'3", 170 lbs.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 08:38:50 AM »
Update to this post - I've had the 8'8" SuperTech for roughly 6 months now, and am really enjoying it. Some quick thoughts:

- Coming off the 8'5" WW, the rails are much thinner and it sits in the water more, so stability is probably roughly the same as on the 8'5" WW, as it tended to be a bit corky.

- Thinner rails and overall thinner outline make it really smooth down the line. My surfing has progressed quite a bit with this board, I'm able to get back on the tail, and torque bottom turns around much better. I felt the thick rails of the WW and the X32 before it hindered speed and flow on bottom turns, etc.

- Build/Construction: Typical JL bombproof - light, and well built. Decent fins with it as well. The only thing is that I did scrape the rail up pretty quickly with my paddle - use RSPro rail tape, no issue. I think I prefer wax to deck pad at this point.

-Fin setup, etc. - I've gone back and forth between quad/thruster with the stock fins. I may try some different ones if we get waves consistently. I've found in our waves I prefer it as a quad mostly to have more speed.

All in all, it's a really fun board, I went with a bit more length based on our waves, but I could see myself dropping down to the 8'3 @ 105L fairly easily, especially considering how stable the 8'8" is.

Let me know if you have any questions about this board.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal