Author Topic: Anybody find an offshore source for genetic testing?  (Read 2195 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Anybody find an offshore source for genetic testing?
« on: October 23, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »
I saw that 23andMe got FDA approval to resume some predictive testing.. but knowing I have the 'all coffee is bitter' gene is something I well know.  I do not need to spend $200 for it.  I am more interested in the sharks in the water I cannot see.  Digging around, I see that most countries agree 'we civilians cannot handle the information'.  One of the better information sites is in OZ.

http://www.alrc.gov.au/publications/11-regulating-access-genetic-testing/genetic-testing-services-provided-directly-public

...but, I thought maybe one of you knew of an offshore source that wasn't under the thumb of the FDA.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody find an offshore source for genetic testing?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 11:20:46 AM »
my wife has done 23 and me for herself and my steps--i have resisted, perhaps irrationally--did see a piece about a year ago where reporter did 23 and me and a few other tests, and found the results varied to the extent that the tests could only be considered questionable--a better approach would have been to also send several samples from one person, under different names/orders, to each of the testers--if the results differ for the same person with the same tester, the whole thing can be tossed
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:32:55 AM »
I met Anne Wojcicki a number of years ago, I don't remember the circumstances but I remember her. Remarkable woman. The subject of test precision and usefulness of the data came up. Her actual goal is to compile a massive library of DNA test results that is sharable on an opt-in basis. The goal is further characterization of genetic effects and to spur further research. At least that's what I got out of the conversation. As i recall she said they were looking for ways to enhance the correlation of SNPs to medical conditions. I imagine at some point the automation of full sequencing will overtake the quick and dirty analysis of SNPs

I don't think an offshore test without significant insight into how samples are controlled, precision verified, and results analyzed would offer much improvement.

The best line in that article are the last few:
The tests “may be interesting as a kind of entertainment,” Dr. Caplan said, “but do not take them seriously yet in driving your health care or your lifestyle.”

He added: “If you want to spend money wisely to protect your health and you have a few hundred dollars, buy a scale, stand on it, and act accordingly.”
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:40:41 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 12:40:53 PM »
jeeze pb, if it's legible, you read it

i recall being frightened when i read this--horses are out of the barn and the chinese horse seems to be in the lead

eugenic choices may be a consideration as my girls produce grandchildrem--scary--but these horses are running and likely cant be stopped, whether we want to stop them or not

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/01/06/the-gene-factory

wetstuff, it's likely BGI's prices are down from the 4k cited in this article--not sure if individuals can work with the company
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
Cool article. Genomics is not the only tech that China is running way ahead on. Solar tech is equally a Chinese territory. they get the best and the brightest engineers to work on these things, and the best researchers.

I like this quote: Wang is a mountain climber and a serious amateur photographer, and large prints of his Himalayan landscapes are scattered throughout B.G.I.’s offices. “In the United States and in the West, you have a certain way,’’ he continued, smiling and waving his arms merrily. “You feel you are advanced and you are the best. Blah, blah, blah. You follow all these rules and have all these protocols and laws and regulations. You need somebody to change it. To blow it up. For the last five hundred years, you have been leading the way with innovation. We are no longer interested in following.”
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 01:34:12 PM »
american exceptionalism is no longer connected with reality--and i dont think we have it in us to recover--we dont have the hunger, the industriousness that is prevalent in emerging economies

and the chinese, with their dominance of genetics, will produce superhumans to dominate all of us--just kidding, i hope

have a good weekend, bill

hoping for clean thigh highs tomorrow at dawn--ill take what i can get
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
Actually I think America will always be exceptional, but not necessarily in a way that makes its citizens happy. We have the most geopolitically blessed chunk of land on the planet. To an absurd degree. Mineral resources, fertile land, water, power, two coasts with cold weather ports along their full length. Incredible land mass for our population, and huge wealth. It's not going to be easy for anyone to float along. But it's a rich, rich, rich place.

I'm reading Blood and Thunder (Hampton Sides) about how James Polk stole it all. Great book, I'm blowing through it too fast.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »
EB,  It appears the Chinese have also clamped down. ...besides, I might need that $4k for the oncologist or cardiologist.   ..and I do have a good scale.  Thankfully, SUP has helped shave 10lbs off me.  Thanks.   

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal