Author Topic: SUP lessons in Hawaii  (Read 3301 times)

MB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP lessons in Hawaii
« on: October 09, 2015, 03:27:39 PM »
Looking to spend 7-10 days with my wife on Maui or Kauai (preferred) in November. I would like to take a few SUP lessons while there, but probably not a full blown camp. Let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP lessons in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:07:09 PM »
You really will only need one one hour lesson.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:35:44 PM »
You really will only need one one hour lesson.

I'd agree if all you're interested in is the bare basics, like how to hold the paddle, basic stroke technique, basic safety and how to paddle the board in flat conditions.

If you want to learn more, whether it's paddle stroke, downwind paddling and/or standup surfing, you could invest considerably more than an hour. There are a number of options on Maui ranging from fair to the best coaching/teaching available. PM me if you want more info or recommendations on who to use for lessons.

MB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »
Thanks, I should clarify that I already sup surf, just not very good. Would like some help with top and bottom turns. I'm thinking Kauai is more likely but info on either is appreciated.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 04:16:08 PM »
Just back from Kauai. Note that I spoke to a guide there (Mariko from adventure fit Kauai and current SUP world champ) and she doesn't teach surf lessons or do surf guiding. Mostly insurance but also know that Kauai is maybe the least SUP friendly island other than Hanalei and a couple of other breaks. Mostly the rule is, don't paddle out on a SUP at most breaks.

Contact me if you'd like more info and specifics, I'd be happy to share what I know privately. I've been there many times.

There are some shops and rental places down South that might give you surf lessons at Kalapaki or there's one break in Poipu. In Hanalei, Hawaiian Surfing Adventures teach as well but I think only near the pier. I'm not sure if anyone would take you to a more serious break but I'd call them if you are up North.

Can some Maui dudes chime in? I'm thinking its a way better island to get a sup surf lesson. Schweitzer crew maybe?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »
Schweitzer's for sure if they're still doing it, I think they are.  mauisportsadventures.com  Pricing is pretty reasonable and they are just super folks. You can also hire Jeremy for surf lessons though most people hit him up for downwinding. http://paddlewithriggs.com/   He's a very good and patient teacher and an amazing surfer. Pricing is about the same. In both cases you'd be getting lessons from some of the most capable instructors in the world.  People who have taken lessons from Zane rave about it, but I suspect you wouldn't necessarily get him for lessons since he's traveling a lot. No matter what you'd be in good hands-- his father Matt Schweitzer was a 5 time Overall Windsurfing World Champion, his mother Shawneen Schweitzer was a National Champion windsurfer, his brother Matty is a top ranked surfer and dirt bike racer and his younger sister Shelby is a champion amateur surfer. Everyone in the family is just absurdly capable.

Might be overkill, but you'd never forget the experience.

If you're feeling flush, you can hire Dave Kalama or Brett Lickle. You can contact Dave though this site or Facebook. http://www.davidkalama.com/private-coaching/  The contact form isn't working because the idiot that maintains the site for him hasn't looked at it for ages. I guess I need to get off my ass and fix that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:24:38 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 05:09:45 PM »
I enjoyed my lessons with Bart DeZwart from Kanaha Kai rentals on Maui.  If you don't know who he is or what he has done look it up.  Quite amazing.

I will never forget him getting me guiding me through the surf zone at Paia, paddle paddle paddle, said in a Dutch accent.

ed
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:11:58 PM by Glowmaster »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 11:00:07 PM »
+1 on what PB said.

MB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I hadn't checked the thread for a bit. We're going to Kauai on Friday, but maybe Maui next time. Swell is not looking very promising... surfcowboy, I will IM you.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard