Author Topic: Dead Sexy  (Read 29257 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Dead Sexy
« on: September 15, 2007, 10:11:30 AM »
Whew...just picked this up from Malama yesterday.  Unreal how nice this is.  Total respect for the craftmanship and...well...love that went in.  All that before it has even seen water...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Dead Sexy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 10:20:44 AM »
Holly Crap, that is nice.

If I wanted one like it, what do I ask for?  I like that blade shape. Tallish, not short and wide.

Rand, I had a killer session on the wife's 10' JL this morning. She's out of town this weekend. hehe.

I was so impressed at how it caught waves easier than my 11' JL. On the wave I felt like a hog dog short boarder ripping it up. I took the 11' for a quick spin to compare back to back. Yuk! Amazing how things change.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 10:24:01 AM by DW »

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 10:30:12 AM »
DW,

I can not tell you how "rich" (for a complete lack of a better word) the wood looks on this paddle.  Maybe more impressive is how perfectly the shaft shape and that handle fit in my hand.  Walking out of Malama's I was thinking, "this is the product of a lifetime of thought and practice". 

I did not ask for anything in particular outside of the length (85).  I just told Malama that I had tried a few of his paddles and loved them.  You are more than welcom to mention the paddle he just shaped for me.  He will know what he did.

Needless to say, it spent the night inside.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 10:39:29 AM »
Rand, I had a killer session on the wife's 10' JL this morning. She's out of town this weekend. hehe.

I was so impressed at how it caught waves easier than my 11' JL. On the wave I felt like a hog dog short boarder ripping it up. I took the 11' for a quick spin to compare back to back. Yuk! Amazing how things change.

Yes sir.  It is amazing what the body will learn.  My feeling is that if anyone commits to a smaller size (stops paddling larger boards-as the back and forth kills the learning curve) that they will feel comfortable on the new little ripper (within reason) in two weeks of paddling.  I am so stoked that you were feeling it.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 02:03:05 PM »
Beautiful. Great shape...looks like it could come alive in your hand.

Looks like it has a vertical spine (perpindicular to the blade). I'll be interested to hear how it paddles.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
I just got back from a two hour paddle in junk, windy, knee to waist south shore waves (yup...still was fun). 

This paddle feels great. 

I did not notice on land, but the shaft goes handle, very thin, quite thick, thinner, thicker, blade.  This gives you a nice thick hand grip while tapering just below for a controled flex point.  This feels very natural.  The big surprise was the back of the blade.  It is nicely convex, and glides sooooo smoothly when surfing and pressure is applied.  The paddle is vey light, and I was terrifed that i would here crackling sounds.  Nothing.

So far, so good.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 04:04:28 PM »
OK, talking to myself here (shut up already..who asked you, you shut up), but a few more thoughts.

The blade is only 17"  on this one by 9.25" but it reduces quickly from max width so it keeps a slender look and small dimensional feel.  But, it has an agressive kick at the blade tip and it pulls more water than my carbon 19" blade while it has less surface area.  This I like.  I had to modify my stroke a little for that first stroke from a standstill, however.  The full blade is a lot to pull right off, so a quick tip stroke, and then I could go full blade.

The flex curve is different than my carbon paddle.  It feels to me that my carbon paddle seems stiffer right off, but when I apply a lot of preesure to it (bottom or face turn), it flexes pretty suddenly.  So far, this wood paddle seems more constant.  This is likely very paddle and material specific, but it is noticable.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 05:04:14 PM »
OK, talking to myself here (shut up already..who asked you, you shut up), but a few more thoughts.

The blade is only 17"  on this one by 9.25" but it reduces quickly from max width so it keeps a slender look and small dimensional feel.  But, it has an agressive kick at the blade tip and it pulls more water than my carbon 19" blade while it has less surface area.  This I like.  I had to modify my stroke a little for that first stroke from a standstill, however.  The full blade is a lot to pull right off, so a quick tip stroke, and then I could go full blade.

The flex curve is different than my carbon paddle.  It feels to me that my carbon paddle seems stiffer right off, but when I apply a lot of preesure to it (bottom or face turn), it flexes pretty suddenly.  So far, this wood paddle seems more constant.  This is likely very paddle and material specific, but it is noticable.

What carbon paddle are you comparing to?

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 05:21:34 PM »
beautiful paddle... i was wondering when someone would apply what i would refer to as the "bow" principal to the shape of the shaft. that's where the shaft is thickest mid point growing thinner until it hits the "palm bud" and the blade. this is exactly how i envision that paddle in my brain. whoever made this was thinking straight! the main reason i would do just that is to maintain a consistent flex throughout the shaft as opposed to creating a weak point on a long shaft with a uniform diameter along its length. thanks for sharing the stoke!
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 05:22:14 PM »
Currently, the C4 9" which I have generally liked.  I have had 4 carbon paddles including this one, a Kialoa, and 2 Quickblades.  My favorite of those was the first Quickblade (with the braided shaft) my least was the smooth shafted Quickblade (way too soft for me).  The C4 is very similar in feel to the first Quickblade and is quite good, but the handle is less of a fit for my hand.  

The C4 is also 85 inches (my height plus 11").

I had switched to as low as 6" overhead, but have settled on 11 now.  Laird guys are going with a shaka and a fist above your head, others are suggesting that if you place the handle on the ground, that the juncture of shaft and blade be at mouth to nose level, yet others say blade on the ground reach overhead and the handle should be at your palm.  For me all 3 are the same measurement.  More importantly, it feels right.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 05:35:57 PM »
whoever made this was thinking straight! the main reason i would do just that is to maintain a consistent flex throughout the shaft as opposed to creating a weak point on a long shaft with a uniform diameter along its length.

Hi Shifter,

You have likely nailed it.  I can only describe it in blunt sub-layman's terms.

When I asked Malama what a good time to pick up the paddle was, he said, "before 4 please, after that, I leave for paddling". 

As a designer/user/innovator/craftsman yourself, you understand the value in that. 

I think you will enjoy reading Malama's Bio: http://www.malamapaddles.com/about.php

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 08:52:13 PM »
thank you rand... malama is definitely someone i would really like to meet some day.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 10:46:34 PM »
Definitely a lot of mojo built in.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 03:05:33 PM »
Welcome to the Malama paddel owner club! I ordered one same day I got a grip on Giampaolo's, last winter. That handle is the most comfortable I have ever hold. First love has now developed into a deep relation. Not only is it comfortable, paddles like a dream, it is also very durable. A true life time friend (rather than product).

Jesper B

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 03:16:17 PM »
Hi Jesper,

Chantalle just ordered one as well. 

Did you get the curved or straight shaft model (I went straight, and am very pleased with that)?  I tried GP's and liked it, but it was very short, so I could not get a real feel for it.  Last month I tried a longer one, and ohhh my.

I may end up putting a very thin grip on the shaft, but i am not yet sure. 

Best, Randy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal