Author Topic: Another Kickstarter SUP project  (Read 6030 times)

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Another Kickstarter SUP project
« on: September 19, 2015, 04:41:41 AM »
Hey guys, found this on Kickstarter. What do you think? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1940155928/k-boards-100-carbon-fiber-paddle-boards-made-in-th?ref=category
They don't mention the width or the volume of these boards which will keep serious paddlers from buying them. Ironically that's the kind of customer they're looking for.

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another Kickstarter SUP project
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 04:57:10 AM »
Those actually look interesting. Anyone know where these folks are located? For some reason I'm guessing Pac-Northwest. Oh, and all paddles seemed to be held correctly. So +1 for that.
Bunch of old shit

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 07:00:17 AM »
I think they'll have a very tough time making their goal. The video put me to sleep, can't tell much about the boards, the way the designs are photographed makes them look clumsy, nothing much in the way of a unique selling proposition.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 07:18:17 AM »
No way it makes it. I had to force myself to watch to the end. I found the boards clunky looking. Reminded me of some cub scout's pine hill derby car, you know the ones carved out of a block that still look like a block.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 07:20:15 AM »
$250,000 a lot of money to raise. SUPs are popular, but are they that popular? Also, they are offering their fourteen footer for less than their 12'6". That doesn't make sense to me.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 07:36:45 AM »

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »
I don't understand why anyone would want a black board, they are a PITA, as you always have to keep them covered and can't even touch them on a hot day. Love the white bellies of the Fanatics, don't need a topless cover on most days while on the car.  The novelty of unpainted carbon wears off quick.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Sliver

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Sliver Paddleboards
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »
Best of luck with the project!

I would recommend switching to a "ledge" style handle if your goal is to build the finest paddle board in the world.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 01:13:13 PM »
ya i agree.. the black thing was tried 10 yrs ago & didn't work! lightest and strongest? id love to put one to the test. thats a pretty bold statement these days... if it was 2007 id say they look sick.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 03:29:04 PM »
eight layers of carbon on the rails?? WTF are they building, a 787?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 04:14:43 PM »
Found this link when I googled their name.
Looks like  the were evicted in February from their building.

http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article26106394.html
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

bef

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
Best of luck with the project!

I would recommend switching to a "ledge" style handle if your goal is to build the finest paddle board in the world.

What is a ledge style handle?  Is that just the handle recess type,  no moving parts?  I have a pop out handle on mine and I find it pretty nice!  No idea if it is "wrong" or not.  Nice thing about being a noob to this hobby is I do not know if something I like is supposed to be junk!

As far as the kickstarter project, if you are already making them, that is a heck of a goal at $250k to make them.  I have built bigger molds than that, and while quality tooling is not cheap, not sure why even new molds would require almost 200 pre sold boards to justify.

Brian
Why did I ever get into water sports - should have choose something less costly and disruptive to the family.  Like drugs and hookers....

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »
How can these guys think they make the best looking boards? And they're really trying a Kickstarter after their Kitson boards went nowhere? I heard the construction on them was awful. Also, anyone that uses the phrase "give people the best boarding experience" is a red flag in my book. When's the last time you texted or called a buddy and said, hey, want to go boarding today? I wish them the best of luck and give them kudos for trying again but c'mon guys.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »
nothing like trying to start a business with an already met need.  good luck to them.  I got an all carbon board made in America, by a skilled, winning shaper. My Ban Pho is 25 pounds all carbon, and personally shaped and painted to my needs for a reasonable price.  And I get to be a Hobo! 

Pretty sure Patrick put the factory together for less than $250,000, I'd be surprised if he spent $25,000.......

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 01:16:37 PM by Glowmaster »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 05:52:13 PM »
Sorry....I don't wish them luck at all. Stuff like this makes it tough for guys like Patrick who pours his heart and soul into every board, performance equipment that looks like art and with a vibrant community of loyal riders. They come out with BS and claim the to be the best there is with low prices and smear the whole industry. Some poor bastards are going to get stuck with some of this crap.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal