Author Topic: My AK Fishing Video - STC Grill mount inspired  (Read 1803 times)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
My AK Fishing Video - STC Grill mount inspired
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:25:58 AM »
My Dad and I went to Alaska the week before Labor Day to stay with my uncle at his cabin on Prince of Wales island.
We had a great time and I came home with about 70 lbs of halibut and ling cod. Plus 10# of crab and shrimps the size of a baby's arm.

We spent a couple of days fishing on the small island rivers for the silver salmon that were mixed in with the pink salmon. Inspired by Surfthecreek and his floaty back door version of the grill mount I shot some video. I have to say it is one of the best ways I have found to shoot video, very versatile. My only problem was that it made me gag sometimes.

It was a lot of fun because the holes were loaded with the pinks, and we would have to spot the silvers among the crowd and pluck them out. The action was ok, the video I put together was from about 35 minutes of shooting.

Check it out - If you are into fishing.

Anyway we are moving into the heart of my fishing season starting about Friday, so I won't be on my
SUP for about 5 months even though my daughter is still trying to convince me to go surfing.
Make paddleboarding great again!

supthecreek

Re: My AK Fishing Video - STC Grill mount inspired
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 05:57:18 AM »
Wow.... that looks like an awesome time with Pop!
Great pictures at the end :)

As Always, I googled Prince of Wales island and had a look around.... pretty pristine wilderness.
Good place to live off the land in the warmer months, by the look of it.

Ha ha, glad the "Mouth Cam" worked out for you!
I just happened on this thread by mistake while doing a search..... sorry I didn't see it first time around.

Have a great season!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 07:15:43 AM »
Nice video. Silvers are such a blast. I used to go up to the Golsovia river to chase them. Lots of bears, but great fishing. Had to carry a shotgun with two crackers and three slugs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 07:22:30 AM »
One of the most amazing things I've ever eaten was Silver Salmon roe, right out of the fish caught from a kayak. Watched a teenage kid reel in a halibut the size of a door from a kayak. We let it go because we were out in the backcountry and there was no way the 12 of us could have eaten the entire thing before it spoiled. I guided 3 summers up in Alaska, spent about 2 months in Prince William Sound, and close to 3 months in Southeast Alaska. Amazing place, hard to get used to the scale of the place being from the northeast.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:43:50 AM »
Ah, yes, Silver Roe. The camp we stayed at on the Golsovia was run by a guy with a Athapaskan wife. She made fry bread and then quick fried roe pouches in the leftover oil. I made a pain in the ass of myself, eating them with the frybread when they came out of the oil instead of waiting like a civilized human. She smacked me with a wooden spoon. Worth it.

The Golsovia and Nome in general is one of those places that you can look out the window and see Russia. I still have a "priest" I carved from the broken-off tip of a rib bone of a whale carcass that sat on the point.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:48:49 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »
Thanks for checking out my video! I am glad that I went up there this summer because our silver season down here in WA got shut down early. The warm pacific blob decimated the silvers this year. We only got September and early October.

We had good king salmon fishing, but could not keep them.

I had such a good time in AK, that I am pursuing my AK engineering license so that my firm can put in for work in the areas that I like to fish. I have some connections up there and we have already done several projects around Ketchikan and Sitka.
Make paddleboarding great again!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard