Author Topic: Paddling with grey whale  (Read 9173 times)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Paddling with grey whale
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:51:51 PM »
Last Saturday we paddled between Ambleside and DUndarave and met a grey whale feeding (I think) not 200 m from teh Seawalk.
It was going in circle disturbing the sea bottom and we followed it for 5 or 10 minutes.
This was just an incredible experience.

Of course in the process of paddling while trying to take pictures with my crappy cellular phone, the phone went to the bottom of the sea.
I wish I could have had some pictures as I was fairly close not enough to count the barnacle on the jaw maybe but almost.

Today the whale is back to the North SHore and many people did take pictures. The first picture is from Saturday Sep 12 at the location we meet the whale. Not sure if the one from today are from the same whale.
http://vancouverisawesome.com/2015/09/14/grey-whale-dips-into-burrard-inlet-to-pay-respects-to-stanley-park-deer/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:54:10 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling with grey whale
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 09:27:06 PM »
Years ago, film camera days, we were double handing cruiseweek racing a lightweight sailboat off Nanaimo when we saw a whale working its way more or less our way. We tack onto starboard to get closer, then back onto port in about the spot the whale should come up again, camera at the ready. Along comes a friend singlehanding her boat and lazily calling out "starboard". "Yeah, starboard, whatever, there's a whale coming up." She says "WTF Wilson, starboard!" "No, whale!" The boats bonk, the whale comes up alongside and sprays us all with whale-breath. I snap film shots of water and sky with one hand and try to mimimize damage to boats with the other. Didn't do anything right but laugh about it afterwards. Its weird how we can lose our minds over whales.

pugsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling with grey whale
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:16:37 PM »
This one goes back and forth between Sechelt and Vancouver. We watched it play at Davis Bay a few weeks back. What a beautiful creature.
Let's hope it sticks around for a bit longer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal