Author Topic: Seaside great white warning !  (Read 18522 times)

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Seaside great white warning !
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:00:43 AM »
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/09/shark_lurking_off_coast_near_s.html

I guess we should be a little more careful in seaside surfing the cove !   

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Seaside great white warning !
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:16:57 AM »
 I love that they posted a map to one of the most localized surf spots on the Oregon Coast.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »
Cool, I'm headed to the beach. Should clear out the riff raff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 01:32:42 PM »
omg just to be safe i'm staying off the willamette if they are at seaside they can swim here  :o

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
omg just to be safe i'm staying off the willamette if they are at seaside they can swim here  :o

There area lot more dangerous things in the Willamette than sharks.  ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 09:49:14 PM »
three surfers out at Indian Beach when I got there. This is so cool. I'm going to look at the point tomorrow. Come on whitey, do another drive by.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 10:10:26 PM »
Way too dangerous to go in at the OR coast. Maybe time you come back Maui, yeah? Actually, Fall is one of the most epic times to surf down there. Not much wind, some swell, no peeps. It's awesome. We would always take surf trips in Sept - Nov. when we lived there.

We got our first trade winds in weeks today. Well, in over 11 days. I did a smoking Maliko in my canoe, almost got to the 1 hour, but I didn't. 1:04. Was pretty thrilled with that. Be nice if I could get that fast on my stand up but it would have to be a near perfect run.

On the other hand, I was paddling my outrigger in the harbor yesterday and watched for 15 seconds while a small shark, around 4 or maybe 6 feet at most, thrashed around extensively, while it appeared to be eating a small turtle. It was probably no more than 50 feet away from me. I know that it was doing what sharks do but I was reluctant to take Abbey out there paddling this morning. They sure are powerful fish.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 07:37:15 AM »
That's the phobia part. Whats the likelihood youll encounter a shark that makes agressive moves at yor paddleboard:

A. -- when you've just seen one.
B, -- when other people have seen one
C. -- when you see a fin as you're paddling out
D. -- when no one has scene one for a long time

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 11:50:53 AM »
They need to start doing random beach closings on the coast here.  If it prevents only one attack, it will have been worth it.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »
Random closures is an excellent idea. If nothing else, it's going to protect the children.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »
Seriously: "Random closures!"

Maybe I am too gullible.  After seeing all the stuff on the East Coast from Creek/Chatham I am starting to think of GW's more like puppies.  As my sup mentor once said "Yes they may bite you and you'll go flying but as long as you don't come down in teeth you'll be OK."

This picture was taken a couple of days ago, 300 yards from my House in Miramar Beach, Half Moon Bay.  The naturalists love to say "It was hit by a boat!"

Take a look at the punctures.  The back side of the animal also had a large hole, same circumference but oddly not deep, about the same size as the puncture width.  When my dog does this we call them "love bites" just enough to make contact but not really hurt you.  It might be a bit more difficult with a fast moving terrified sea lion.

My buddy who took this is 6' 2" says his foot is 11" (again gullibility).  This would make for a large whitey.

Doesn't make the news, barely the Zone. 

Note:  He took this, clearly wearing a wetsuit, just before going SUP'ing  8)

Sack up and get back to surfing.  We have a reputation to uphold.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:24:29 PM by Beasho »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 12:27:59 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »
Random closures is an excellent idea. If nothing else, it's going to protect the children.
Yes, I'm glad people see the obvious potential of random closures.

The fact remains that nobody has been attacked during a beach closure.  100% of attacks happen before or after.  In fact, the ones that happen after a beach closure happen LONG after.  But again in nearly 100% of cases, the attacks happen IMMEDIATELY BEFORE a beach closure.  So if the beach closures are done on a random basis--THAT IS BEFORE A SHARK HAS A CHANCE TO ATTACK INSTEAD OF JUST AFTER--it should be possible to virtually eliminate all attacks.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:30:18 PM by pdxmike »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »
We're due for a swell tomorrow and may get some trades this afternoon for a downwinder. But right now, it's hot, flat and windless. What better than to troll the shark postings on the zone?

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 01:30:07 PM »

There area lot more dangerous things in the Willamette than sharks.  ;)
You're right about that.  Apparently they've discovered high concentrations of dihydrogen monoxide here again.
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal