Author Topic: Stable & Fast board for so cal ocean paddling - Eliminator vs SIC X14  (Read 4685 times)

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I'm looking at getting a 14' board for paddling in flat water and so cal ocean swells and chop.  Not downwinder, more for longer distance paddles in all conditions.

I'm 210 lbs, prob be 190 in a few months if I keep up the training.

Two that seem to have strong stability and be good gliding fast boards are the bark eliminator and the SIC X14. 

Wondering if anyone has paddled these boards, how they would compare them?

Thanks

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stable & Fast board for so cal ocean paddling - Eliminator vs SIC X14
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
Or is the SIC F14 a better option for my usage?

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 12:47:23 AM »
If you plan to go down to 190 then a SIC Bullet V1 or V2 will be better and faster than a SIC F14. The longest journey I've done on my Bullet 14v1 in one trip is around 15miles / 24kms. It's a great ocean / coastal cruiser and stable in all conditions. Yes the X14 will go upwind and in flat conditions faster but it is not as stable as the Bullet. If you can demo both boards in ocean conditions I'd highly recommend it.

Here's a short vid of the Bullet 14v1 on a coastal cruise. Conditions start off flat and get progressively bigger with lots of backwash.

http://youtu.be/n9zoot1cF7Y
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:53:03 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 03:33:09 AM »
I concur that a 14' DW board makes a great conditional cruiser. The DW shape is that bit more stable so overall saves your energy. Due to the inherently stable shape you can get away with a tad narrower. As soon as it's choppy it has a definite advantage. Downwind obviously much better.

Upwind I find that it's all about the paddler anyway and board you are on becomes a wash. I spend a few years tagging along a group on race boards with a surfboard SUP. Only in the upwinds was I on equal footing with others.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:00:53 AM »
The Bullets are not made for SoCal paddling. We get maybe one day a year you could call downwinding. You'll need a boat to take you straight out 10 miles, so you can downwind straight back to shore. The X14 is made for these conditions. The only 'V' series you see around here are on CL or way at the back of the race (soon to be on CL). The Barks are very popular, but a little cheaper cost wise and heavier. The SIC is the premium. At your weight, you should try the Hobie 14' Apex. I like the speed an stability of the 14x27.5 in the open ocean. It's almost the same weight as the X14. Much faster than my old Hobie 14' Elite. I'm 240# so I can attest it's for a bigger person. 

Here is a review / comparison of my friends X14 and a Demo Hobie I had.  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,26372.msg271277.html#msg271277

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:07:11 AM »
I just ordered an Eliminator paddlesurfwharehouse is running a special on them. Haven't even paddled it but it's going to replace a SIC F14 I've had for about a year.
I'm 6'2 245lbs not into racing but want something efficient for northeast short period chop. If I had the cash I'd get an unlimited but storage is an issue as well.
The F14 has been fun, super stable, surfs well, and I meant to start doing some overnights on it, but I can fit a lot more beer in my kayak  It is a dog paddling into the short period chop we get in the northeast, I'm not a fast paddler but I'm fairly strong and it's just a bear. It just ends up slapping into the waves and comes almost to a stop, get it back up to a slow speed and repeat. I can also feel the board kind of wiggle, for lack of a better word, and shudders with the waves.
So I'm hoping the Eliminator with the piercing nose will be a little easier and quicker in the sloppy northeast mess we get while still being somewhat stable.
Will post more when the new board shows up next week, if the wife hasn't murdered me for getting another toy.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 11:17:18 AM »
Like the look of the Eliminator -

http://youtu.be/DCMe9XZnZ6U
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 10:06:50 PM »
Here is a very cool trip a group of paddlers did on the Oregon coast with Eliminators. That is a good sale paddle surf warehouse has on the Eliminator. I was considering this board too, but was thinking it had a touch too much volume for everyday paddling, but it seems to be good for a wide range of paddler weights.

http://www.supthemag.com/the-raw-way-home/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb5YJF23Auo

http://www.supthemag.com/gear/board-review-surftech-bark-eliminator/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:23:20 PM by robon »

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 05:28:53 AM »
Now we know where all the cosmetic 2nds are coming from!
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 08:08:52 AM »
Now we know where all the cosmetic 2nds are coming from!

No doubt:) You are definitely the right size for the Eliminator. At just over 200 pounds I was thinking that I'm a touch light for it, but it would have likely worked out alright. Let us know what you think once you have had it out in the chop.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal