Author Topic: Video: SUP surf Foot placement for Turns  (Read 4821 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Video: SUP surf Foot placement for Turns
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 08:09:58 AM »
Try a backside bottom turn without moving your front foot to the inside rail.  Ain't gonna happen.

I made a point of watching my feet when I was out this morning and I do move my front foot a little closer to the rail on backside bottom turns. I never really gave it much thought. 90% of my surfing is done facing the wave so my normal surfstance is on the centerline. I forget that not everyone has the luxury of a point or reef break. I generally don't spend much time surfing backside.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 09:20:55 AM »
My front foot is always on the side of the stringer that's facing the wave. As I make the drop I'll pull the front foot back, but still on the same side. When I hit the lip and come back down the face my front foot will usually still be on the side facing the wave. My back foot does most of the moving side to side. If I start left (or backside for me) but plan on cutting back right, my front foot will be more centered. I'll compensate for that by moving my back foot almost off the rail. A toe drag turn. With size 14's i don't have a choice.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:22:26 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 09:38:22 AM »
When you hit the lip the front of the board is not engaged, so the front foot placement is less critical. The board pivots between your feet. I'm actually pulling my nose of the board towards me with my front foot heal, and pushing the tail away from me with my back foot. In the second photo you can almost see the twisting in my upper body as I rotate oposite my board.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:42:35 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal