Author Topic: Columbia river downwind videos  (Read 2602 times)

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Columbia river downwind videos
« on: August 29, 2015, 09:15:41 PM »
A few videos of my sons doing some of their first downwinding in the gorge last weekend. It was just so fun being out there and seeing their confidence grow. I think this is an exciting sport for kids if done safely.  We did our last run (with the side point of view) on Monday and dedicated it to Andres Pombo and his family:

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia river downwind videos
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:44:49 AM »
Magic!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:00:13 AM »
Wow, that's amazing. Both of them look like they have lots of runs under their belts. Obviously they know how to paddle, but moving the right way on the board, that takes experience. You gotta get those guys into the Big Winds Dev team next year. They'll be killer racers in a couple of years.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 06:00:52 AM »
That is awesome to see your kids downwinding. They sure do have confidence!
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 11:34:22 AM »
Wow, Blue, those boyz are rockin' it! They look really good, timing their paddling to get into swells and moving around for perfect trimming! Can you imagine starting at their ages? Amazing! How fun for you too, getting them out there and seeing how much fun they're having. Nice.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 02:54:21 PM »
Looks like you and your boys had fun out there.  Great concentration and timing!   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 10:09:29 PM »
Thanks guys. The pleasant surprise for me was how they were able to dial in the timing.  I knew their footwork was in place as we had worked on this a few times over the summer on flat water using Jeremy's training videos as a guide. However, during smaller downwind runs that we have tried on Puget Sound, the boys' timing was completely off and they spent more time paddling uphill than downhill, and in the process nabbed only a few glides. I anticipated more of the same on the Viento: while I knew they would enjoy the wells express as these bumps are just so easy to get, I was really amazed that they had just as much success getting into the big, fast moving rollers by Mitchell Point. It definitely was not anything I suggested. It just sort of clicked for some reason.

Timing is so critical in downwinding. I think I finally get it but it took >2 years.  To me, it is not just about timing the sprint into a bump, but also anticipating this 1-5 seconds before it is going to happen, so that I can prepare my un-athletic body into an optimal surf stance.  A piece of advice I got early on is that downwinding is a tradeoff between paddling 50% while waiting for bumps, and 110% while trying to get in.  This now seems off to me. I take a far lazier approach, and seem much faster and well balanced as a result.  With good timing and board positioning, I now aim for 0-10% effort between bumps and usually no more than 75% effort to get in.  I typically reserve the neck vein bulging sprints for a few special bumps per run. In most cases, I'll just nudge the board to where a bumps is cresting and just catch the next one with less effort. The rudder helps immensely for this. My kids seemed to get it intuitively.

Pono, great thought about the Bigwinds Jet team. Those kids are little rockets with beautiful form. They completely destroyed my boys in the flat water race. I hope we can do it next summer if Steve offers it for a few weeks rather than the whole summer.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 11:46:30 PM »
Awesome! Just awesome. Such style.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal