Author Topic: Leash Use.  (Read 63520 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash Use.
« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2015, 10:10:19 AM »
Good points Starman. A lot harder for manufacturers and regulators to cope with those elements of safety though. Swimming is the big deal, and I need to up my game there. I had to swim just a few hundred yards this year, and it was a lot harder than it used to be. Bad shoulders don't help, but I think it was mostly the Camelbak. Maybe it's time to look at some flotation in a shirt. Most of the new ideas for PFDs look kind of useless to me if you're going to swim yourself to safety. Inflating anything isn't going to help swimming. Most people who are not going straight into panic just need a little buoyancy in their chest and a bit at the waist.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2015, 12:54:57 PM »
Unfortunately this is what we are dealing with in Canada.
A "regulation" that was written by people that have no idea what SUP is about.

Link:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-resources-menu-4139.htm

Quoted here:
Transport Canada, like the United States Coast Guard, classifies Stand Up Paddleboards as human powered vessels when they are being used for navigation. When being used within the surf zone for surfing activities these requirements are not in force. When undertaking a trip or circuit such as a group crossing or solo outing, this is considered navigation.

As human powered vessels, Stand Up Paddleboards are subject to all carriage requirements, including lifejackets. There must be one Canadian approved lifejacket or personal floatation device available on board and available for immediate use. There are many PFD options available for ease of use, such as waist-pack inflatables (a popular choice among competitive rowers, who are also short on space and require a broad range of movement) or low profile paddling vests.

While we have received many requests for the consideration of a leash in lieu of a PFD, Transport Canada does not recognize the leash/paddleboard combination as a floatation device. The department has received many inquiries from Stand Up Paddleboarders regarding Section 4 (Substitute Safety Equipment) of the Small Vessel Regulations. This part is intended to provide like-to-like exemptions, for example for police marine units to make use of tactical PFDs, or for small commercial charter vessels to carry high buoyancy PFDs in place of small vessel lifejackets.

Transport Canada supports leash use, but not as an alternative to a lifejacket or personal floatation device.

End Quote.

Also to note is that in Canada you legally have 2 options.
1) Wear a PFD and have a sounding devise.
2) Have a PFD on board for each person on board / have a sounding devise / and have 15 meters of buoyant heaving line. 

With either option you also must have a waterproof light if paddling within 30 minutes of sunrise / sunset, or in periods of limited visibility.
Sounds like Canada must get their bureaucrats from the same place as we do.  I can see if they had a preference of wearing a pfd over being attached to a board with a leash, but saying being attached to a board with a leash is not equivalent safety to having a pfd strapped to a loose board doesn't make sense.

At least we don't have the heaving line rule here.  How many times has anyone on a SUP actually used that line to heave to someone?  You could paddle 15 meters faster than you could reach down to get the line and throw it.  And who'd you be throwing it too, anyway?  The passenger of yours that fell off your board?  That heaving line regulation really proves your point that the rulemakers have no idea what SUP is about.

supthecreek

« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2017, 04:33:58 AM »
Bump... lots of great info in these pages!

It's a good time of year to have this thread resurface!

Leash up and live long!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2017, 07:01:12 AM »
Agreed. All beginners especially need to leash up.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »
100% Icky... Anybody who's gone 'off the back' has watched the board take off like a watermellon seed.  Without a leash, there might not be a second time.  'Darwin Awards' waiting for the taking.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2017, 11:38:07 PM »
I was paddling in Nichols the other day, which is a long, skinny, protected area probably 200 yards long by 50 yards wide, doing fin testing so I didn't have a leash on. Fell off the back of my Blackfish and kicked it away from me. I had to swim about 15 yards in cold water wearing short and a T-shirt. It wasn't easy. I thought "If I drown doing this I'll never live it down" which made me laugh so hard I swallowed a bunch of goose-poop infused water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »
I keep thinking it would be nice to lose the leash once in a while...then reality strikes.  Glad there was a happy ending, thanks for the lesson.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal