Author Topic: Leash Use.  (Read 63528 times)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash Use.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:41:11 PM »
The issue of leashes in actual races is not really an issue.  At races there are not only other paddlers - who WILL help a fellow paddler in distress - there are usually a few spectators and most importantly there is usually some sort of "safety" in place.   
The issue is for the "average" and or newbie paddler that buys their board from a source that provides NO safety instruction at all.   
As for why - "Leashes Save Lives" - a leash is the simplest safety device available to us - and if we as an industry and "family" of paddlers can't educate and encourage leash use - then my fear is that the governments will regulate something for us - and it will be much more intrusive than a leash.   
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 10:12:08 PM »
Yeah, I realized after I posted the bit about QD leashes that it isn't really the issue at all, and focus is important if we want to get something done.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 10:29:58 PM »

Incidentally, leashes are not a panacea. An educational effort needs to be complete. There are places where a leash is VERY dangerous, for example, anyplace with fast current and a risk of entanglement, and there have been deaths caused by them--two with SUPs that I know of. In both cases if the victims had been wearing a PFD instead of a leash it's likely the outcome would have been much better.

Was lucky enough to spend an hour with Dan Gavere talking about how to safely get started in the river.He strongly recommends a leash.  There are a couple of techniques for installing the leash so it will release from both ends and that is the key. 

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 10:33:38 PM »
The issue of leashes in actual races is not really an issue.  At races there are not only other paddlers - who WILL help a fellow paddler in distress - there are usually a few spectators and most importantly there is usually some sort of "safety" in place.   
The issue is for the "average" and or newbie paddler that buys their board from a source that provides NO safety instruction at all.   
As for why - "Leashes Save Lives" - a leash is the simplest safety device available to us - and if we as an industry and "family" of paddlers can't educate and encourage leash use - then my fear is that the governments will regulate something for us - and it will be much more intrusive than a leash.   

Warren, don't add the hedge.  Leashes are always important.  Racing or not.  People will do what they do but I think the message should be simple.  Don't give folks the excuse of racing to skip it.  1 minute and 47 seconds is al it took for that fellow in Hood River to vanish.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »

Warren, don't add the hedge.  Leashes are always important.  Racing or not.  People will do what they do but I think the message should be simple.  Don't give folks the excuse of racing to skip it.  1 minute and 47 seconds is al it took for that fellow in Hood River to vanish.
You're right the message should be simple, and it is:  "Leashes Save Lives".  But ER's answer isn't a hedge--it's true, for all the reasons he lists.  People racing without leashes--especially the typical flatwater race--isn't the problem.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 11:28:15 PM »
Flat water racing is not the problem. It's the habit people get into of not using a leash and not having a leash always attached to a board that is the issue. If the leash stays in the bag / car / cupboard and is only ever used when it is mandatory then they are forgotten; they become not the norm.

IMO this paradigm needs to change so the norm is the leash is always on the board and everyone uses it. I tell beginners who start out on glass like conditions on a surf style board that the beauty of a leash is when you fall off, the board is never far away from you, and you'll always be able to find it quickly. It is a safety feature and when you start going out when it's windy or choppy this will always keep the board close to you..

Every board our family and I use has its own leash that never comes off the board unless it is being replaced. My kids are the first to tell me if we are renting boards, "Dad, but they don't have leashes!".. That's the paradigm I'm talking about. And usually when I ask, the rental places always seem to have leashes stashed somewhere.. I think one of the reason they don't keep them on the boards is they get taken...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:01:52 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 03:38:02 AM »
We also need someone to invent an unbreakable leash or at least make them better.

Even if people do wear their leash, who is going to be there to tell them when to replace it.

I watched a guy in his sixties surfing in some overhead surf over the winter. His leash broke, his board came floating in and he had a very long swim. I talked to him when he got to shore and I looked at his leash. The urethane cord had snapped. The velcro cuff was all ratty and faded. His leash looked really old or maybe he just left it out in the sun too much.

Maybe we need expiration dates on leashes or a warning saying to keep them away from heat and sunlight. Better yet, invent a leash that won't break.

The silliest thing about leashes is that they are held to the board by just a piece of string which can chafe through and get weakened by sun damage depending on what's used. There has to be something better than a piece of string.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:47:51 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 05:50:12 AM »
I kind of think the events/races are very important. Perception and peer pressure is what we are trying to change. Where does the tribe gather? The actual use is more important in everyday situations but if we are to change the culture it has to be all in.
We require leashes for our other events but the beach in and out makes it difficult for the SUPathon. We have on and off water safety but does it ever really replace a leash? Someone can go under pretty quick. A leash obviously even allows for quicker rescue if a paddler is incapacitated. We could have a lifeguard every 20 ft and still not get to someone quick enough if they went under and didn't come back up. Rips/currents could have someone 50 ft away or even far more before anyone responded.
I think I just talked myself into what we need to do....doesn't matter the format, leashes required.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:54:25 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 06:03:57 AM »
badger--this has been argued about in the past, but i use two pieces of string, on slightly longer than the other. the tensioned string fails, the other has been relaxing, awaiting its moment of glory! i wrap the two with a bit of 3m electrical tape to keep from catching a toe or finger in there.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 06:37:31 AM »
I believe the zone is at the front lines of education and we identified early in the development of the sport that
a leash is going to keep you near your board and that the board is a flotation device.

We cannot control the bravado attitude - I need no stinkn leash.

I see it in the surf zone by surfers who often are talented. When one ventures offshore,
put your leash on. Set an example because others are noticing. You will not catch your board in
winds over 25mph and maybe even less. Oh, you left your life jacket on the board. DA! You can watch
your board get further away as you helplessly chase it and wear your self out. Hopefully you won't be
a statistic. Bravado greatly increases your chance of being a statistic or leading someone else down the
wrong path to be a statistic.

Accidents happen. Check you equipment. Having a leash that breaks or falls off is the same as not
having a leash only worse because you have false confidence in your gear. Leashes stretch, nick and break.
Leash hardware fails and leash attachment cords can fray. Replace it before it breaks.

Don't be fooled. Mother nature is not forgiving and newbies may not know better. Regardless, be a good example
and it may save someone else or your family from grief of loss of a loved one.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 06:49:43 AM »
I'm on the PaddleFit Facebook group and Brody Welte came out against mandatory leashes. I posted a respectful disagreement. I think there are points to be made against a leash but it's better to have one. Beginners especially.

I had a leash mishap just the other day. I was on a wave and the leash wrapped around my fin somehow. I managed to stay standing but afterwards there was a bit of detangling. Does this mean I'm now against leashes? No.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 07:05:32 AM »
The better leash idea needs to be expanded two ways: strength and release. 

There was a posting not long ago of a rental where a young woman was swept under a barge on an inland river.  If memory serves, she was leashed. Perhaps one of the companies could make a simple 'quick release' like we had with kites if things go to Chit.  I still fumble in the shore break getting out of a DaKine ..and that's at the knee.  I do not think I will ever use an ankle leash with a SUP again ..after a few long drags by a heavy cruiser.

We have SUPers locally who find leashes 'too much trouble'. (interferes with their 'style') You will never get 100% of any group to act responsibly. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 07:28:07 AM »
wetstuff, I  always  wrap  my  lease  the  same  direction  so  I  never  have  to  think  about  how  to  release  it.

On another  note ,  I  think  that  we  should  try  to  get  someone  other  than  the  Coast  Guard  to  endorse  leash use, maybe a  lifeguard  association .

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 08:17:20 AM »
So, did we wander far enough, fast enough? 

1. Leashes save lives -- make a campaign about it. Stickers, ads, endorsement.
2. Encourage leash use in all advertising and magazine/blog pictures
3. Petition Coast Guard to change regulation to either wear a leash or wear a PFD (you see PFDs tied on leashless boards because current regulation WORKS)
3. Safety video about leash use, PFD use, and how to plan for a safe experience.

That's it. That's a solid start. Save the rest for later unless you see something vital missing. Emphasize everything and you emphasize nothing. Most importantly: Leashes Save Lives.  Get behind it, make it happen.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »
I like that slogan, Bill. I'm going to start spreading it.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal