Author Topic: Leash Use.  (Read 63515 times)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Leash Use.
« on: August 25, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »
Have just sent this to as many people in the SUP Industry that I have contacts for. 
If you are related to the sup industry and would like to be involved - please message me here. 
Thanks
Warren

To Whom it May Concern,

In light of the recent tragic event in the Gorge this past weekend, we are penning this Open Letter to the Stand Up Paddle Industry.
We believe that we, as a collective industry, must take a vehement stand in the education and encouragement of the use of leashes on all types of SUP’s, on all types of water, and in all conditions. 

With the exponential growth of SUP, there are a great deal of boards being sold with very little safety education accompanying the sale.
Like seat belts in cars, leashes save lives on SUP’s.  If it is far enough to paddle - it is far enough to wear a leash. 

A few ideas as to how to implement this are:
- A sticker on the tail of the board near the leash plug that states “Leashes Save Lives”
- Only showing images (both still and video) of paddlers that are using leashes.  This is especially important in Manufacturers brochures and Industry publications (magazines).
- A Public Service Announcement video - featuring the top Pro’s in the industry advocating the use of leashes. 
- Instructing Team Riders that they should be setting the example by always wearing a leash.

We need to educate our customers on how to safely use our products.  Unfortunately, as is often the case, it takes a tragedy to create the momentum for positive change.

Please feel free to reply to this email with any comments and or questions, and please share with any industry related SUP businesses. 

Thank you,

Warren Currie
Easy Rider

Dave Kalama
Imagine / Quickblade
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Leash Use.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »
Excellent idea and long overdue.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:03:40 PM »
I like.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:05:57 PM »
Great, and thanks.

I also like that this puts the focus on the leash, not the pfd.  If the industry is successful is getting people to wear leashes, it will be good ammunition against more pfd rules.  And of course it WILL save lives. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:41:51 PM by pdxmike »

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:16:58 PM »
It also needs to be mandatory for Rentals, part of the rental process should include signing the rental agreement/waiver form that states that leashes must be worn while on the board, no exceptions !! SUP instruction should also make the leash an integral part of their lesson.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:25:38 PM »
Great idea . I  like  the  education  and encouragement  tact  better  than  regulations .

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 04:21:11 PM »
I got a PM from a Zoner talking about doing safety videos, a great idea, and an important part of the larger effort. I'd suggest holding off on connecting this to the recent tragedy until someone talks to the family. If they get bent out of shape about this it would backfire in media--it could seem like capitalizing on a tragic circumstance. So perhaps start planning and organizing, but hold off on any general announcement until the T's are crossed.

I'd also suggest making an effort to get some logical regulation passed in the US. I'm tired of seeing people with no leash paddling in dangerous water with a PFD tied to the nose of the board. Wear a leash or wear a PFD and it's advisable to wear both. The USCG doesn't understand leashes and doesn't understand SUP. That's an unacceptable excuse. Time that they either got smart about what works or get out of the regulatory business.

I'll be glad to help in the effort. Money, time, contacts, whatever. I don't want to see this happen again.

Incidentally, leashes are not a panacea. An educational effort needs to be complete. There are places where a leash is VERY dangerous, for example, anyplace with fast current and a risk of entanglement, and there have been deaths caused by them--two with SUPs that I know of. In both cases if the victims had been wearing a PFD instead of a leash it's likely the outcome would have been much better. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:23:04 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 04:30:16 PM »
Agreed Bill. 
Thanks for the notes. 
I have already been contacted by a SUP Film maker that is willing to do some sort of PSA.

I think that the main focus needs to be the safety education of all paddlers - on all water. 

If the Industry comes together and takes the lead - it can only be a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:32:28 PM by Easy Rider »
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »
I'm all for it as long as it doesn't result in a leash law.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »
What are the thoughts on a BOP style race.....nobody (or very few) is going to want a leash in those conditions when the in and out exchange is so critical to timing. We recommend but don't require them for the SUPathon. Wondering if that needs to change.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
Stoneaxe--peterp said something related to this earlier:  "Around here everyone downwinding is wearing a leash - we don't allow any racers not to wear a leash and now it has just become the norm. The only time a leash is a chore is when doing a beach start - so we don't do them...we start knee-deep and then the leash is never in the way..."

That makes sense to me.  Absolutely, it seems downwinder races should be set up so there's no time penalty for wearing a leash.

The starts of all the races I've ever been in (all flatwater lakes or rivers) have been on boards in the water, or standing next to boards in shallow water--no beach starts, no in-and-out running.  So if you wear a leash, you lose only a couple seconds taking it off at the end (typical races here end with a short run, but many just end paddling past a buoy which doesn't even require any leash removal). Even in the longest races I've been in (13 miles) I've always been close to other paddlers and fairly close to safety boats and/or the shore.  I don't think there's a big safety drawback to not having a leash in those because of that as well as the flat water and lack of current.

BOP-type races seem like a more complicated issue.  Ocean and waves mean leashes make sense. Lots of nearby racers means no leash is less of a safety issue since people are nearby to see you in distress and help out.  Beach starts means leashes get in way.  In-and-out beach runs between laps means time penalty for wearing one...

Certainly how starts and finishes are set up impacts leash wearing so your question is important.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:59:07 PM by pdxmike »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 07:27:58 PM »
really, a leash on an in and out beach run can be accommodated--just requires rethinking the leash a little. A belt with a side clip, a loop on a camelback. Quick clip and you're done.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »
I think this is a great initiative from the industry by the industry for the industry. I would also add that those individuals who work for the brands who are responsible for the pictures used for advertising their boards should mutually agree to always show their products with leashes being worn. Right now I am looking at a banner advertisement from a major brand showing race boards, and not a leash in sight...
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

nj_sup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Leash Use.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:51:15 PM »
Agree whole heartedly and thanks. PB great thoughts. PB what about using a coil leash in those conditions? Quick release strap would help no? Big thing is knowing how to use the quick release. I agree if in those circumstances and a coil leash is not doable then should be wearing a pfd. It's amazing to me that people who can't swim would SUP and kayak. That I just don't understand.

I believe that SUP is taken too lightly at times. I see it near me in the bay where people have a pfd strapped to the front of the board with no leash. If you don't watch the wind and tide you will be quickly swept out the inlet in no time. Witnessed it more than once when a panicked newbie didn't realize the force of the current and couldn't get back to shore before being swept out the inlet. No leash and you fall off and watch your board sail away with nicely strapped pfd on the board, all while being swept out to ocean from the bay. My nephew lost a college rugby teammate swimming in that same area being swept out. Found three days later. Usually at least one drowning a season, some years more.

Went to Bass Pro shops today in Atlantic City. They sell SUPs. Thought of it later to check if they sell leashes. I will check the next time I go. While their fishing and hunting staff are local and very knowledgeable I could guarantee that those working in the kayak, SUP dept have know clue which way the paddle is suppose to face, let alone the benefits of using a leash.

Yesterday while standup surfing the local pier, this guy goes out with his SUP without a leash. What a beauty. Paddles out on knees and falls, swims to board. Gets back on. Paddles out, stands up to catch wave and falls, nice missile screaming down the break amongst a bunch of proners. Reflects great on us Repeats this for two more times. Grabs board and walks to us on beach (we were getting ready to head out) and says I didn't even realize I didn't have my leash on the board until after I paddled out, makes perfect sense to stay out trying to surf with no leash

I always wear a leash at a minimum. I wear a belt type inflatable type III pfd when not surfing, I wear it paddling in the bay or when distance paddling in the ocean. I keep my iPhone in a life proof case in a JOTO waterproof case with me. If I paddle across the inlet or in the ocean on rougher days distance paddling I take my PLB with me. I always check the wind, tide, current and forecast before I head out. I've been in the ocean fishing since 15 yo, know of way too may bad outcomes, can't be careful enough.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:54:30 PM by nj_sup »
mike
Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
Fanatic 9'10" Allwave
Fanatic 12' Ray Wood Edition
KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 paddle

cruzanboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »
All this talk of safety gear and prepping for a session reminds me of general aviation flying. I am a private pilot and there is a LOT that gets done before I even 'head out' to the sky. Why would the waters, ocean in particular, be any different?

There is a poster with a picture of an old biplane lodged into a tree. The saying goes . . . .
"Aviation, in and of itself is not inherently dangerous.
But to an ever greater extent than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving
of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect."

I see that poster every time before I fly.
Based upon the sea's ability to 'eat people', I now wonder which one is more terribly unforgiving.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal