Author Topic: Leash Use.  (Read 63854 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Leash Use.
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
Couple of questions Badger.

1. Do you wear a leash?
2. If the rule was changed to Leash OR PFD would that have any impact on what you do?

The petition to the coast guard is disposable if it defocuses the effort, but I don't think it does. I believe newbs and renters and even some experienced people skip the leash and tie a PFD to their board because that meets the current regulation. That's dangerous and stupid. Having the option to wear either a leash or PFD and eliminating the option of tying a PFD to the board to meet regulation requirements would make the sport safer.

The coast guard already is involved--but it's in a negative way--as anyone who has been cited for not having a PFD while they were leashed to their board will agree.  How would you fight the current regulation? Suggest that there be no PFD requirement? I don't know how that would work, and it certainly wouldn't contribute to safety. We can't show that our gear stays stationary when we fall, which was one basis for windsurfing's exemption from PFD requirements, even though they are clearly MORE of a vessel than a SUP is. We can show that our gear stays stationary if it's leashed.  The argument seems obvious, but there needs to be an organized approach to making it.

I misunderstood what you were saying in your other post. I'm in favor of making the carrying of a PFD optional as long as a leash is worn. That's a great idea.

Of course, I always wear my leash.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

kjulks

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »
I know we're just replaying the same argument over again here, but the use has to take conditions into account.

You don't want a vest on in surf. You don't want a leash on in the river, or if you must, it MUST be quick release.

Regs are aimed at the lowest common denominator of user, and paint with a broad brush. Education and awareness, with help from "the industry", go much further in taking the necessary, nuanced approach at actually keeping people safe.

Think of kayaking. You've got everything from Aunt Sally taking out the sit-on-top kayak on Backyard Lake to Demshitz-wannabes charging towering waterfalls. To do the latter, you'd want a helmet, drysuit or beefed up clothing, a skirt, a specific type of PFD (not your orange one-strap), and all kinds of other gear.

Regs do not differentiate based on use. That's up to the industry and its role models.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2015, 05:24:20 PM »
badger--this has been argued about in the past, but i use two pieces of string, on slightly longer than the other. the tensioned string fails, the other has been relaxing, awaiting its moment of glory!

I've actually tried to do that but JL leash plugs are not big enough to allow two strings.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2015, 05:30:54 PM »
I know we're just replaying the same argument over again here, but the use has to take conditions into account.

You don't want a vest on in surf. You don't want a leash on in the river, or if you must, it MUST be quick release.

Regs are aimed at the lowest common denominator of user, and paint with a broad brush. Education and awareness, with help from "the industry", go much further in taking the necessary, nuanced approach at actually keeping people safe.

Think of kayaking. You've got everything from Aunt Sally taking out the sit-on-top kayak on Backyard Lake to Demshitz-wannabes charging towering waterfalls. To do the latter, you'd want a helmet, drysuit or beefed up clothing, a skirt, a specific type of PFD (not your orange one-strap), and all kinds of other gear.

Regs do not differentiate based on use. That's up to the industry and its role models.

A rational reg helps, and your point is exactly why I'd suggest PFD or leash. Up to you to know which one is appropriate, and the industry, role models, and places like this can make it clear which to wear and when. At least the regulation wouldn't be working against safe practices.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »
If a leash is going to be regulated by statute, then there will have to be certifications on them that they can with stand a certain amount of tensile strength.  No common surf leash will be able to be used because of the newer regulations and most likely liability if and when a leash fails.  Are leashes going to have expiration dates on them. Because after so long being left in the sun, the car, or whatever will fall apart with  very little force.  It lets you see how well they are made  and the reason I will never buy or recommend FCS leash products. But again another way for them to fail.

There are enough stories on here about that.  I have had 3 leashes break myself from surfing.

Now also along those lines. What about the method the leash attaches to the board.  I am not talking about the line(s) you use to attach it, but the attachment point itself.  I would think those would need to verified and certified to some standard because that is a point that could fail too. I have had a post on my leash plug pull out in what I would say is small surf.

I have to work with fall protection and harnesses sometimes.  The harnesses have to be inspected and fit correctly with no tears, rips, burns, or other defects. I also have to make sure that I attach it to a point that can support at least 5000lbs. So this is where I am coming from in terms of an analogy. These are the rules I and everyone else in my industry is supposed to follow.  Not  everyone does though.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2015, 09:02:48 PM »
On the other hand, starting something thoughtful now in the free market could preempt the action of idiotic politicians wanting to capitalize on a tragedy. You know, laws forcing us to wear helmets, PFD's, life preservers, register our boards as if they were boats, etc., etc.

I'd suggest holding off on connecting this to the recent tragedy until someone talks to the family. If they get bent out of shape about this it would backfire in media--it could seem like capitalizing on a tragic circumstance. So perhaps start planning and organizing, but hold off on any general announcement until the T's are crossed.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2015, 09:56:14 PM »
Ninja Tuna, I think you are dead on about the need for tensile strength regulations and I would be all for this, particularly for downwind leashes.  I am meticulous in caring for my leashes and only buy the thickest Dakine leashes on the market. Nevertheless, a runaway board is still by far my biggest safety concern . It seems well within the capabilities of the industry to design a highly reliable, strong leash akin to a climbing harness that is nearly completely reliable.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2015, 10:16:06 PM »
My bigger wave leash is the thickest Dakine I've ever seen. If fact, I haven't been able to find a replacement one as thick. I wonder if they discontinued it? My leash plug is epoxied right into my wood stringer. Even with the rail guard, my leash has crushed, cracked and pulled through my tail more than once. It's never let go though, and I've been dragged a long way for that reason. Now I use a leash all the time when distance paddling. I usually paddle by myself a couple of miles off shore. I should start carrying a phone, but I like my solitude.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2015, 10:31:12 PM »
And when you say "the need for tensile strength regulations" - does that mean you want the government involved in this sport?

Ninja Tuna, I think you are dead on about the need for tensile strength regulations and I would be all for this, particularly for downwind leashes.  I am meticulous in caring for my leashes and only buy the thickest Dakine leashes on the market. Nevertheless, a runaway board is still by far my biggest safety concern . It seems well within the capabilities of the industry to design a highly reliable, strong leash akin to a climbing harness that is nearly completely reliable.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2015, 12:17:47 AM »
No need for government, they'd just f$#k it up anyway. Mountaineering solved this kind of thing aeons ago. And really, existing leashes work very well most of the time. What would be most effective is the simple steps already suggested. A campaign to underline the importance of a leash, with stickers on new boards. Some outreach to rental companies to get them to take more care about leashes and appropriate PFDs. Fixing the dipshit current regs. Getting industry to pay attention and highlight leashes. We're not walking new ground here. Nearly every action sport goes through some process like this to increase safety.

That takes care of the general level. As for the people doing stuff at the sharper end, you pretty much need to be responsible for having gear that works for the level you're playing. True for any risky sport. We're not skydiving, the needs are pretty simple. And even if we were, there's no government regulations for sport parachuting equipment, but lots of industry certification.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2015, 05:51:16 AM »
The most dangerous SUP issue that I see in the Gorge area is the number of beginners paddling from the rental area at the Event Site up the Hood and up the White Salmon with leashes.  Last time we paddled into the White Salmon it was hot and there were a dozen beginners way up there with long leashes hooped out behind them. 

Please check out this old thread for perspective.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=15925.0
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:30:11 AM by Admin »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2015, 06:26:03 AM »
I was thinking about what you said, Bill. I don't mind the idea of having a regulation that every SUPer must wear a PFD and leash with exceptions for certain activities (surfing, which already exists, or whitewater, or whatever else needs amending). I understand I may be in the minority here, but maybe an industry safety certification, like you said, is the best approach. Establish some basic rules and certify businesses that pledge to do that. I don't know how that would be done, but it makes sense. Maybe races too should certify.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

kjulks

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2015, 06:27:50 AM »
Please check out this old thread for perspective.
"when her board and line became tangled in a submerged tree, pulling her under"

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Now the discussion turns from "PFD or leash" to "well if it's gonna be a leash, it should probably be a coil on rivers where it could snag, or it should be a quick release, in which case you'd probably want an inflatable PFD too in case you had to release, and if it's gonna be a PFD, it can't be a vest in surf, but it should be a leash in surf, but for whitewater river stomping it should be a vest but not a belt inflatable..."

I'm all about this, but regs and silver bullet one-liners aren't gonna keep people safe. The onus is on the shop, rental outfit, friend lending you the board, friends taking you out to the spot, whatever the case may be. It's up to those who have the knowledge to teach and keep those who don't safe. People always get in a tizzy when newbies make newbie mistakes. I don't get that. Blame whoever's facilitating their dumbassery. They don't have enough information to be making rational decisions - they're new.

Common sense goes a long way, but I wouldn't blame you for a second if you heard "Leashes save lives", trailed a big loop on a river, got caught and as you're submerged thought, "Huh, so you want to make sure the leash doesn't snag anything... Got it."

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2015, 07:03:30 AM »
I just sent this letter to one of the local rental outfits in my area:

Dear Kayak Hudson:

As an experienced paddleboarder on the Hudson River, I have happily encountered your organization many times. Most notably, it pleases me to no end to see how popular the paddleboard rentals are, especially at your Croton River spot. I’m glad this sport is finally gaining traction around here.

The thing that concerns me about your paddleboard rentals is your safety policy. As you may have heard, experienced standup paddler Andres Pombo recently drowned in the Columbia River during a downwinding event because he got separated from his board. This tragedy could have been prevented if he had been wearing a PFD and leash. I noticed that you do not require leash use for your rentals, and that concerns me. While a PFD is a vital part of general water safety, so is a leash for a standup paddleboard. You should have everyone who rents a board from you wear both.

This is especially true because I sometimes see your groups venture out of the Croton River onto the Hudson itself. While the river is often placid and serene, it can become hazardous very quickly. Winds pop up out of nowhere. Current and tides make the water unpredictable. During a fall, a leash makes retrieving a board far easier. I myself have gotten into trouble in rough waters and was grateful for being leashed to my board.

I urge you to please make both PFD and leash use mandatory for each rental. My suggestion is to start this with your 2016 season if not sooner. As an experienced paddle boarder (I recently completed the grueling Cape Cod Bay Challenge) I would never venture onto the Hudson without both, and neither should your clients. If you would like some help with safety rules and paddleboard instruction, I have been PaddleFit and ACA certified. I am also a professional teacher, so I know how to present well to a group. I would be happy to help you with this and any other type of paddleboard instruction.

I’m going to close with a letter by Dave Kalama, one of the two founders of standup paddle boarding, about leash use. I hope you agree with his wisdom.

Sincerely,

Ian Berger

Dave Kalama

When we first started tow surfing Peahi in 92′ through to 2000, big wave surfers didn’t wear floatation, so neither did we. My friend Paul Miller always wore one, and we used to think it was kind of kooky, then Laird started wearing one around the end of 99′. I thought he was getting soft, then I had my near drowning experience new year’s day 2000.

From that moment on I never tow surfed without one again. Looking back at it with perspective now, it’s clear to me that everything we did was guided by ego, because there is absolutely no good reason that you would ever ride waves like that without flotation, it’s just stupid.

Now a days, guys are pushing the paddle in limits way beyond what they’ve ever been, because they’re using floatation. It literally is saving lives.

Now we’re at a similar point in stand up. There is absolutely no objective reason that we should ever go without a leash, and this is coming from a guy who saved a person’s life because their leash got stuck on a coral head and they were getting drug under water (literally one of the scariest moments I’ve ever had in the water).

Even with that being said, I still absolutely believe that leashes save a 100 times more lives than they would ever take.

It’s absolutely imperative that we as an industry, make the use of leashes standard practice, just like all the big wave surfers of today, that wouldn’t ever let one of their cohorts out into the lineup without their flotation.

We must do the same as individuals, friends, leaders and as an industry. I regret that all this momentum came at the cost of one of our own, but we all do a disservice to Andres Pombo and his family if we do not act.

http://distressedmullet.com/2015/08/26/dave-kalama-discusses-stand-up-paddle-board-safety-issue/
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2015, 07:10:38 AM »
...and not to poo poo the simple answer but there have been 4 SUP fatalities in Oregon and 2 were caused by leashes:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2015/jun/20/man-dies-in-willamette-river-in-paddleboarding-acc/

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill