Author Topic: Leash Use.  (Read 63851 times)

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash Use.
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 08:24:27 AM »
So, did we wander far enough, fast enough? 

1. Leashes save lives -- make a campaign about it. Stickers, ads, endorsement.
2. Encourage leash use in all advertising and magazine/blog pictures
3. Petition Coast Guard to change regulation to either wear a leash or wear a PFD (you see PFDs tied on leashless boards because current regulation WORKS)
3. Safety video about leash use, PFD use, and how to plan for a safe experience.

That's it. That's a solid start. Save the rest for later unless you see something vital missing. Emphasize everything and you emphasize nothing. Most importantly: Leashes Save Lives.  Get behind it, make it happen.

This is exactly it.   Is there room for one more though?

4.  Be a leader in the sport and use a leash yourself.  Everyday in all conditions. 

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »
Fantastic news from Svein at Starboard late last night.

Effective immediately - all boards will come with a "Leashes Save Lives" sticker at the leash plug. (they had 3 design options drawn up in an hour - but have decided to go with my design - - which was chosen by Dave Kalama and Jaimie Mitchell out of the 5 I did).

All Photo shoots will require leash use, and all Team Riders are being instructed to use a leash at all times! 

So lets get a list going of board manufactures that are "on board".
1) Starboard

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:34:25 AM by Easy Rider »
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2015, 10:06:39 AM »
It also needs to be mandatory for Rentals, part of the rental process should include signing the rental agreement/waiver form that states that leashes must be worn while on the board, no exceptions !! SUP instruction should also make the leash an integral part of their lesson.

Yes to both at my shop. Every student I've taught has gotten the "fear of god" speech from me about leash use. I have them attach and remove several styles in the first 15 minutes of every beginner class.
Bunch of old shit

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:42 AM »
I've sent this post up the food chain if they haven't already seen it. Sent to Red Paddle Co, Naish and JP.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »
So, did we wander far enough, fast enough? 

1. Leashes save lives -- make a campaign about it. Stickers, ads, endorsement.
2. Encourage leash use in all advertising and magazine/blog pictures
3. Petition Coast Guard to change regulation to either wear a leash or wear a PFD (you see PFDs tied on leashless boards because current regulation WORKS)
3. Safety video about leash use, PFD use, and how to plan for a safe experience.

That's it. That's a solid start. Save the rest for later unless you see something vital missing. Emphasize everything and you emphasize nothing. Most importantly: Leashes Save Lives.  Get behind it, make it happen.

I don't like where this is going.

Getting the Coast Guard involved might just make our lives worse. We should be fighting their rules not adding more.

Magazines should be able to use any pictures they want without being hassled by the self appointed safety police. Nobody is going to be influenced by seeing a picture of someone without a leash. A better way to do it would be to publish ads and articles on leash use.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »
Couple of questions Badger.

1. Do you wear a leash?
2. If the rule was changed to Leash OR PFD would that have any impact on what you do?

The petition to the coast guard is disposable if it defocuses the effort, but I don't think it does. I believe newbs and renters and even some experienced people skip the leash and tie a PFD to their board because that meets the current regulation. That's dangerous and stupid. Having the option to wear either a leash or PFD and eliminating the option of tying a PFD to the board to meet regulation requirements would make the sport safer.

The coast guard already is involved--but it's in a negative way--as anyone who has been cited for not having a PFD while they were leashed to their board will agree.  How would you fight the current regulation? Suggest that there be no PFD requirement? I don't know how that would work, and it certainly wouldn't contribute to safety. We can't show that our gear stays stationary when we fall, which was one basis for windsurfing's exemption from PFD requirements, even though they are clearly MORE of a vessel than a SUP is. We can show that our gear stays stationary if it's leashed.  The argument seems obvious, but there needs to be an organized approach to making it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:56:51 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »
Leashes are mandatory. Period.

My first year on flat-water.... I never considered a leash, so I understand how they are easily over looked.... but as I ventured out in more adverse conditions, I began wearing one.
Now... I wouldn't think of paddling without a leash.... regardless of conditions.

I get a lot of people on a paddle board for their first time.... family.. friends....I tell them all.... wear a leash! Always.

Then I tell them about DJ's video... and how insanely fast a board will get away from you in a gust of wind.

I am working on a "Teaching" post.
It evolved from my 1st response to this thread.... but it went way off topic.... so I'll make a new thread.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 01:58:25 PM »
I would support a mandatory leash law, especially if it was coupled with an option to use a pfd or not. 

The current laws are not created with SUPs in mind, but rather focused at kayaks and canoes.  As soon as you recognize SUPs as a unique watercraft, and mandate a leash, you have a good argument to make pfds optional.

kjulks

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »
Nobody is going to be influenced by seeing a picture of someone without a leash.
Sure they are. Or, if the positive form of that statement isn't true, the negative surely is. People WILL be influenced by seeing a majority of pictures WITH leashes.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2015, 02:11:24 PM »
Both skateboarding and snowboarding made wearing a helmet cool, or at least not 'not cool'. I know that has save me from a couple of snowboarding concussions. I'm more for the selling of need for a leash vs legislation, and I think those of us that are committed to SUPing can make a positive difference that could save lives.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:19:33 PM by Tom »

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2015, 02:19:18 PM »

I don't like where this is going.
Getting the Coast Guard involved might just make our lives worse. We should be fighting their rules not adding more.
Magazines should be able to use any pictures they want without being hassled by the self appointed safety police. Nobody is going to be influenced by seeing a picture of someone without a leash. A better way to do it would be to publish ads and articles on leash use.

It's unfortunate you feel this way. 
At no time have I requested any "legislation" mandating leashes.  It is in the letter - Education and Encouragement.  This will have a much more positive outcome than any legislation ever will.

As for the magazines being able to . . . .   
Well both the bicycle and wakeboard industry have gone through similar "issues" with helmet use - and all of their respective industries banded together and now any image used is of a helmeted rider. 
Snowboarding and Skiing are going through similar issues right now. 

Ultimately it is up to you if you want to wear a leash or not - my only desire is that you remain safe.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
In the end, this is fighting their rules. This is making a common sense approach which the current rule is not. Look at that gopro shot of that kid at Tahoe. All happy. "look at me". No leash, pfd strapped to the board. He just rented it a few minutes before. Probably had never been on one before. They found the board that night and he was long gone. No one knew where for a few days. That ending was ok but......others weren't.

There are so many more people trying this than kayaks or other things before because of it's absurd and beautiful ease and simplicity. Not trapped in it like a kayak, no sail so not "extreme", etc. If there is a time, now (soon) is probably a good time to petition the Coast Guard. As much as the sport has exploded in the last 2-3 years there probably is some mulling already going on somewhere within all the layers of it. They are not all complete idiots, tho I am sure sure many of the decision maker are and the process is most likely idiotic but I am sure some have seen or have had it pointed out the ridiculous rule in effect for these kind of "watercraft". Leash OR pfd would be good and in the end, I think just common sense. Leave the surf zone alone.
I wonder tho, how would the argument go with inflatables and single chambers? Would they let that go that way or would that be pfd wear only? Would they differentiate between the two? Is there a reason to? Should that be a different segment of a petition?
Don't want to make it complicated either or let other things muck it up. Not talking about a stroke or heart attack out on the water and how a pfd might be better......talking about the first line of defense to prevent drowning by having a safety device right there.

I am curious. What are the rules in other places? Australia? Europe? England? (oh wait, is that Europe?) Hong Kong? Canada? PFD? Onboard? Worn? Leash?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:37:27 PM by lucabrasi »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 02:37:07 PM »
Both skateboarding and snowboarding made wearing a helmet cool, or at least not 'not cool'. I know that has save me from a couple of snowboarding concussions. I'm more for the selling of need for a leash vs legislation, and I think those of us that are committed to SUPing can make a positive difference that could save lives.
I am so in the minority on the mountain without a helmet. Pretty much everyone under 30 wears one, board or skis. 30-40 probably 70-80 percent. 40-50 a bit less and over 50 still more than half at least where I go and notice. Even the funky little home town hills tho the spread on those hills over the age of 30 isn't quite there but it is on the under 30 crowd. All of those kids learned with helmets on. What I see is that pretty much 100 percent of kids for the last 25 years or so have worn helmets when learning and just always have since. If I still snowboarded I think I would be but I haven't strapped a board on in ten years and am ok with that. Skis are better......not that I am any safer tho.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:39:21 PM by lucabrasi »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »
I would support a mandatory leash law, especially if it was coupled with an option to use a pfd or not. 

The current laws are not created with SUPs in mind, but rather focused at kayaks and canoes.  As soon as you recognize SUPs as a unique watercraft, and mandate a leash, you have a good argument to make pfds optional.

I like the idea of an even trade of rules. If we wear a leash, we no longer need to carry a PFD. That would be perfect. I doubt the CG would go for it though.

I always wear my leash. It's just so easy to do, why wouldn't I. It doesn't bother me a bit to wear it.

On downwinders I always "wear" either my belt PFD or my impact vest. Either of those will allow me to swim for hours.

On calm flatwater a PFD is useless. Why? Because I'm always wearing my leash.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:54:48 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 02:55:27 PM »
badger--this has been argued about in the past, but i use two pieces of string, on slightly longer than the other. the tensioned string fails, the other has been relaxing, awaiting its moment of glory! i wrap the two with a bit of 3m electrical tape to keep from catching a toe or finger in there.

Never thought of this .....good idea.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]